What if Schemes

I'm kinda partial to the Japanese F-2B as a USAF F-16G. I will do that build at some point. Also like Rich's A-10 in Army CARC green. Almost did that at one point with a 32nd A-10 N/AW, but decided that I'd rather do it in 48th. Now to get the HobbyBoss kit!

I'm also thinking AH-64s in anything BUT CARC GREEN!

How about an AH-64 in Testors Model Master Armor Sand.

Here is a scan of a mock-up of the proposed USAF Intrerceptor variant of the F-14 ...

Note the larger Phoenix Pallets for more internal fuel and the external tanks hanging off the wing glove pylons ...

Gregg

Woah, thanks for that! Had no idea it was ever considered. You learn the most interesting things around here.

Chris

Nice Thunderbolts, Trigger! :banana:

Really like the grey, green, black USMC and the Jordanian version. And those German "Warzenschweine" too. Kinda wondered why Germany never contemplated (or did we?) getting A-10s. After all, those thousands of Soviet MBTs would have needed dealing with.

New here and loving all the paint scheme ideas. For some really wild ones, I'd recommend you guys look into the Ace Combat series of videogames - yes, it's unrealistic, but the point here is nonstandard livery and well there's a good start. The one I liked the most was an homage to the IDF Eagle driver some years back, an F-15 in full standard operational scheme but the entire right wing in red. Anyway, it's just a thought to look into for nose art ideas, paint scheme ideas, or whatnot. (Half the fun of the game is beating missions just to get new paint schemes for the planes; you can imagine how creatively prolific the art design team was)

As for much more reasonable schemes, I'd like to se the following:

USAF Thunderbirds demo team F-22 (Come on, it'd be GORGEOUS)

Operational squadron markings (maybe for a squadron aboard GWB?) for a navalized YF-23

For mighty laughs, modern USAF markings & scheme for an S.37 Berkut prototype.

One camo pattern I liked that I ran across a LONG time back was an interesting mix. It's based on the idea of the old dazzle-camo from WWII, with a proper matte black splinter camo mixed with the hazegrey/blue sky, in an asymmetric pattern to break up the outline whether you see it against a cloud or late at night. And it looks rather striking, I think. (Image is of a modified F-14K Longcat that I photoshopped up.)

Also, related to that, where do you guys get the original lineart to do your camo patterns with, like the A-10 or whatnot?

SuperHornets in VFA -21 Freelancers, or VFA-74 Bedevilers looks good.

and then maybe Navalised F-35s and F-22s with any of the Tomcat tail logos looks good.. Imagine , just imagine, VF-111shark mouth intakes on the F-35 :D and a F-22 navy variant carrying VF-33's big yellow lightning across its fuselage, harkening back to the days when it was stillknown as the F-22 Lightning II..

and all of the above carrying Phoenixes on their weapons stations :)

of course, rafales and eurofighters in israeli schemes,

and a Blue Angels Su-27, Thunderbirds Mig-29, Red Arrows F-16s, Russian Knights F-15 :coolio:

My Schemes:

CF-104S in current paint and markings.

CF-101C (full structural overhaul with F-15E engines, Sparrows and Sidewinders) in current paint and markings.

CC-177 in tri-colour Camo

CF-18 Lahr based, in Lizard Camo with Canadian markings

Any of the alternate proposals to the CF-18 in current CAF markings. F-15, F-14, F-16 Tornado, Mirage, etc

Grant, some super designs there ...

USMC and the Warthog seem like such a natural fit ... wonder why it never happened/thought of ?

Moritz, West German A-10s also seemed like an automatic thing too, things that make ya go Hmmmm ?

Icchan, welcome to ARC !

Gregg

I have a What If build list as long as my arm at the moment:

RAAF F-15D (In work)

RAAF F-16

RAAF ( or RAN ) MH-53E (In work)

RAAF B-1B

RAAF and RNZAF A-10

Aus Army V-22

Aus Army AH-1

Aus Army Apache

RAAF Mirage IV

F-108 in USAF 56FIS Markings

Finnish AF C-130

RAAF or RNZAF KC-135

USN EH-101

RAN EH-101

RAN F-18....

How about RAAF AF-22? Typhoon? or RAN UH-1N? :blink:

Dubai

A-10_DubaiAirForce.jpg

DUBAIIIIIIIIII!!!!! :D

Tom

Edited by blackhawk7

Thanks everyone, I'm glad those Hogs have been well received.

Gregg-

USMC Warthogs almost did happen. In 1990 the Air Force was very likely going to transfer a number of A-10s to the USMC and US Army (though the Army A-10s would have the gun removed). The Marines would have used the A-10 as an OV-10 Bronco replacement. But after Saddam rolled his tanks into Kuwait City that year, all those plans were scrapped.

Mortiz-

I've wondered that too. West German A-10s just seems like a natural fit.

--------------------------------

I'm not a big fan of modeling the demo teams, but here are some WhIf ideas from the past...

Thunderbirds X-29

Thunderbirds F-86

Thunderbirds F-104

Someone (on HyperScale I think) built a Blue Angels F-8 Crusader that looks fantastic. That's one demo plane I may build for myself.

I think too much in black and white to go too far out side the box. Wiffers are hard on my brain.

Absolutley envious of you folks who can crank out 3D looking proifles and 4 view paint schemes so quickly.

My only wiffer will be a Panda F-35 UK done in retro pre Falklands bright FAA markings.

This just has Finnish AF written all over it. Since I'm getting ready to paint my Gripen....maybe...

Thanks for the idea Papp!!!

mecsekkamo.jpg

I'm also working on a Mirage 2000-5 in Swiss markings and a Northrup F-20 in Swiss markings.

In the stack of stuff to do, I have a Rafale that I plan on doing in the Israeli desert scheme (similar to the earlier Kfirs).

• 4 weeks later...

Thread resurrection time!

Fuji asked me a while back if I could help him out on a WhIf build he was considering. If the Communists had never taken power in Cuba, what would a Cuban F-16 look like? Some of these are his schemes, some of these are mine, but they're for all of you to enjoy!

FAEC_Viper_Fuji1.jpg

FAEC_Viper_Fuji2.jpg

FAEC_Viper_1980s.jpg

FAEC_Viper_1980LoVis.jpg

FAEC_Viper_1990s.jpg

FAEC_Viper_1990LoVis.jpg

FAEC_Viper_GroundSupport.jpg

I'm in the process of making 3 What-Ifs:

F-14A as a VMF-122 Crusaders, This squadron went into Cadre status for the Tomcat in 1974.

F/A-18E as a VMFA-134 Smoke, This squadron is in Cadre status for the arrival of the F-35 Ligthing II.

F/A-18F as a VMFA(AW)-332 Moonlighters, This squadron is also in Cadre status for the arrival of the F-35 Lighting II.

I'm thinking about doing a F/A-18D in IDF/AF colors.

In 1994, the Scorpion Sq. tested 2 F/A-18D Hornets for the next IAF fighter, but after testing IDF/AF chose to go with F-16I cause it was cheaper.

So, I think a F/A-18D with 2 scorpions on it's tails will be eye catching model. :cheers:

Mike

I was thinking of doing the same thing but using the F-15I camo paint sceam because I think they were looking at it and decided on the F-15I instead of the F-18D. According to Ra'anan Weiss's book on the F-15I , in the introduction he states "Seeking an answer to this threat, the IAF was seeking a strike fighter capable of long range flight, with sufficiant loiter timeabove the targets. The initial candidates were the F-18D and the F-16D that were both evaluated in Israel in 1993 but lacked the required range or were ot expensive to modify to the new IAF requirments following the Gulf war."

So instead of the Scorpion you would need a BIG eagle head ;-)

Jim

I thought about doing an f-106 in the Hill Grey scheme. It would be the f-106c block 50 with an f-119

engine. It would be loaded with Aim-120's and Aim-9x's. It would also have the joint helmet- mounted

cuing system. Markings would be the 3246th Test Wing at Eglin AFB.

I also thought about building an f/a-18e super hornet in Russian markings, kind of like that S-3 Viking

in Soviet markings that I saw a few months ago. It would have aggressor markings like those that some of

you mentioned earlier in this thread. What do you think? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly

appreciated. Ryan.