1/48 Mig-31 Foxhound A (Lindberg)

Greetings all...

Can anyone give me a few pointers on the lindberg 1/48 Foxhound.

I acquired one from my hobby club a couple of days ago and i would like to know if there are any aftermarket parts for it or will i need to scratchbuild. The aircraft has always appealed to me..and seeing as the only 1/48 scale kits out there you can count on one hand...i dont want to trash this model if i can help it.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. :cheers:

Hi guys, I don't mean to sound rude, or condesending, but would it be possible to get some details on whats wrong with the kit? I keep hearing it's crap, throw it away, my condollances, but is there a list of whats wrong and what can be done to improve it, as the choices are rather limited!

Cheers, Chris

Hi guys, I don't mean to sound rude, or condesending, but would it be possible to get some details on whats wrong with the kit? I keep hearing it's crap, throw it away, my condollances, but is there a list of whats wrong and what can be done to improve it, as the choices are rather limited!

Cheers, Chris

You may find some answers in the gallery

The nose and windshield look really off.

Hi guys, I don't mean to sound rude, or condesending, but would it be possible to get some details on whats wrong with the kit?

Basically, the plastic. The plastic parts are all completely wrong. Although the decals aren't very good either.

(seriously, that's kind of like asking 'what exactly are the issues with Starfix kits' - they resemble what the box top says, but as scale models, they're just entirely junk)

Something to consider about the kit is when it was released, the Soviets were still "The Evil Empire" and getting good references of one of their front line fighters was near impossible.

So all you could do was go off pictures and whatever info you could get from Jane's or Aviation Week, so a lot of guesswork was involved.

Ken

Something to consider about the kit is when it was released, the Soviets were still "The Evil Empire" and getting good references of one of their front line fighters was near impossible.

So all you could do was go off pictures and whatever info you could get from Jane's or Aviation Week, so a lot of guesswork was involved.

Ken

Sure. But nothing is stopping kit produsers now...References is basicly every where now. Intrenett, books, email, not a problem.

Do we have any good kits and acurate of any russian fighter...? Some, but not many.

Sure. But nothing is stopping kit produsers now...References is basicly every where now. Intrenett, books, email, not a problem.

Do we have any good kits and acurate of any russian fighter...? Some, but not many.

We've seen a lot of kits of various Russian types come out in the last 5-10 years, even those obscure 50's era jets.

Why haven't we had a new tool MiG-31 or MiG-25 in 1/48th? I dunno, probably no one sees enough of a demand for either one to justify the tooling costs.

Just because there's a lot of references on a subject doesn't make it more likely it will be kitted, look at the time gap between Hasegawa's Phantom family and the announced Eduard kits, there's tons of Phantom references and pics out there, but its going to be nearly 20 years between the 2.

Plus, there's the old modeling joke that no company went broke making kits with a swastika on it. :blink:

Ken

Cheers, Chris

The fit of the parts is HORRIBLE- that's one thing that's wrong with it. And I mean, it's just awful. I can't speak for every kit they churned out of that thing, but the plastic on mine is very soft stuff.

The cockpit? Errr... I doubt it's very close to the real thing, though it does have raised "detail" Obviously the seats are not very good. The weapons don't look very good at all, and the under-belly racks for the missiles are just absent. Panel detail is nearly absent, though I can't remember if it was raised or recessed.

It's going to be a tough build, but as you can see, it can be done. I disagree very strongly with all the folks that tell you to throw the thing away. I say, build it and do a GREAT job on it.

jb

To me, the nose is the worst part. I've compared the kit with some scale plans and scaled up pictures, and the only part I can see using unmodified are the horizontal stabilizers. The nose is shaped like a banana, whereas the real aircraft has a symmetric nose. The cockpit of the kit is actually somewhat detailed, however the only thing that is really accurate about it is the number of seats.

Look at Armin's build in the gallery to see how much he changed.

--Mike

My main conclusion on seeing the first of three copies of the kit that I bought was that I need to get a lot of plastic sheet and putty and spend copious amounts of hours pouring over drawings and doing measurements. Impossible...nah...giant pain...probably...detered from doing it...NEVER...just gotta get a Foxbat or two done.

Good luck, and if you drop me your addy by PM I'll shoot a CD of all my references.

Cheers,

Dave

Looking at this pictures in the link above it doesnt look that bad. The nose, front windshield, wings & intakes may be the biggest issues (first two are the hardest two rework).

I'm curently doing some work on the Italeri MiG-23 & its much worst than this.

Looking at this pictures in the link above it doesnt look that bad. The nose, front windshield, wings & intakes may be the biggest issues (first two are the hardest two rework).

I'm curently doing some work on the Italeri MiG-23 & its much worst than this.

What link are you referring to ? Said's build without corrections or Armin's build with corrections ?

Sometimes it's a good thing to be a multiscalar modeller... :salute:

Man...its true...

This is a model thats gonna take a lot of work.

Ok...Im not gonna trash it...but i will save it for when im ready for this beast.

*by then someone will probobly have a new kit of it....thats fates way of laughing at you.* :salute:

• 1 year later...