Up hill task ended

One sollution I come to think of is, if you´re going to have the canopies open which I hope you will to show off that beauty of a cockpit, like this:

Because of the big gap the hinges at the back of the front canopy won´t fit the the slots, that gap looks like about 3-4 mm, so you´d saw off the hinges and move them out a couple of mm and glue them back on. If the canopy is open then it really doesn´t matter if it´s more narrow than the pit.

But if you´re very very cool and have steady hands you could dip the canopies in hot water and gently widen them so they match the body.

I´m sure there are other ways but this is what I´d do :whistle:

Cheers!

Yeah it seems this kit may need some surgery, but isnt that the fun of modeling, in a perfect world we would have no fit issues, or inaccuracies, or the dreaded raised panel lines, but hey I look forward to the challenge!

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

10days have past and progress have been made, albeit very little. But big or small, a progress is a progress... :thumbsup: Here's are some photo updates:

gapbreached.jpg

With careful sanding, i managed to breached the gap with pla-card and putty. Thought the shape is not exactly right, but i think it will be partially hidden by the canopy when done.

raindispenser.jpg

Next, scratch build the rain dispersal duct which, in my opinion, quite prominent on the prowler's nose but left out in the kit.

newnose.jpg

Re-scribed the panel lines around the nose area. As can be seen, the original line was at a different angle(indicated by arrow1) as compared to the re-scribed line(arrow 2).

reshapebefore2.jpg

Here's a comparison on the prowler's before and after nose. I must say it turn out to be quite a nose job :worship:

re-shape.jpg

This is correcting my own error which happened waaay back when i did not have enough reference. now i have to go back and alter the shape. I tried resisting for awhile but alas i gave in :worship: Lesson learnt: do thorough research first, measure thrice and cut only once...

That's all for now. Cheers!

Chris

Edited by RedFlag

Excellent detailing there, sir!! :wave:

I think you´ll end up with a very very nice prowler when done!!

It´s impressive that you´ve kept a stiff upper lip about the challenges the kit has brought you!

Cheers!

Nice work with the windshield air - often overlooked!

Thanks Karl. I got the tips from your prowler article, which btw, i read for about four times. It was a great help to me :thumbsup:

Sweet build...have a couple Prowler challenges in the stassh. Must be good work if Kolja's saying nice things.

Cheers,

Dave

Nothing compare to your MiG25, Dave...not even close :worship:

Excellent detailing there, sir!! :woot.gif:

I think you´ll end up with a very very nice prowler when done!!

It´s impressive that you´ve kept a stiff upper lip about the challenges the kit has brought you!

Cheers!

Thanks for your support Aigore. Will definitely PM u when i finally conquer this kit!

I am currently stuck with the panel lines at the buttom section nearer to the exhaust area. Just can't seems to find a good reference pic and the line art can varies from one publication to another, so not really sure which one i should follow :crying2:

Would really appreciate if anyone has good pics of that area of the prowler. Cheers!

Chris

Wow, this is an amazing build of the Prowler. I hope to get one in my stash soon, just love the lines, and loved watching these take off from the carrier when I was in the Navy, man are they loud for such a small engine!

Wow, very nice!

I plan on getting a Prowler from Sprue Bros. I built one of these about 15 years ago, and have wanted to do another one ever since, and Im very happy that its finally being re-released.

How big a difference were the Avionix wings compared to the kit wings? I never would have thought about grafting the Avionix wings to the kit wings.

• 2 weeks later...
Ey Chris, still stuck???

Been a while since you satisfied myt need for Prowler masochism!!

Cheers!

Hi Aigore,

Thanks for asking. :)

Well, not stuck really but just plain slowness (read: laziness) on my part....i am still struggling with the rest of the panel lines and looking thru photos to decide wat i should and should not scribe. Along the way i saw more things and so the vicious circle goes on and on(sounds familiar?...)

Anyway, i have included some very minor updates jus to show that the prowler is still alive and kicking...

fueldump1.jpg

Use small diameter brass tube to recreate the fuel dump at the end of the tail. I also need to drill at an angle at the end of the tail to accomodate the pipe.

fueldump2.jpg

This is the end result. What's missing is the extension and some flaring to blant in the triangle to the fuslage.

trapdoor1.jpg

Next is the recreation of the missing raised details around the area where the AN/USQ-113 is. Also in the pic are the re-scribed panel lines, which is part reference and part guess work.

I intend to add more rivets around some of the panel before i add the rest of the scopes and ducts. Until then, cheers! :pray:

Chris

WOW, awsome build. I was thinking about your canopy problem or one that will come up with the fix of the gap between the cockpits. My only sugjestion is to "Cheat" and cut off the canopy actuators on the clear parts and reposition them with the new location of the holes you now have. It might look funny but one would have to know to look for it. Now I have to go back and click and save some pic's of this build for future referance :explode:

Thanks for sharing, I;m wondering how I missed this thread!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, this is an amazing build of the Prowler. I hope to get one in my stash soon, just love the lines, and loved watching these take off from the carrier when I was in the Navy, man are they loud for such a small engine!

It's not a turbofan - ie, no air bypassing the combustion chamber to take the edge off the sound. Everything that goes in the intakes gets mixed with fuel and combusts.

Hi everyone,

Apologise for the slow updates as i have been busy with other stuffs... Thank you Jim for your suggestion and will definitely consider this option when working on the canopies. i intend to deal with them right after i completed the painting process. In the mean time, i have been working with the landing gears and discovered that some of the obvious details have been left out by the manufacturer. While i am still sorting out the main landing gears, i thot i share with you what i have done so far on the front landing gears.

The main issue is cleaning out the many fleshes that were all over the very detailed kit part. And as i was cleaning it, i noticed that some of the deatils have been molded on making cleaning difficult. so i removed out some of them and rebuilt them with simple rods and wires. The result i think is a cleaner and easier to paint landing gear. Please see pics below and all comment are welcome :popcorn:

frontgear2.jpg

frontgear3.jpg

frontgear1.jpg

Chris