F-14A, VF-84 Jolly Rogers 1/48

Every step along the way looks so beautiful and you make it seem so simple.

Two questions: Are the nozzles glued yet (was wondering how you would paint them)? Second, approximately how long did the shading on the upper surfaces take? On the order of 10-15 mins or more like 50-60 mins (or even more)? I am asking this because I see that you have very fine shading patterns. I sometimes find myself doing shading for 1 hour straight (much coarser and worse than yours) and that hurts my back and my eyes so bad. I am curious because once I start, I don't want to stop my flow or change paints.

Honza: I love your way of applying paint.

I always look at their works, are an example to follow.

Don´t forget this little details in white paint...

Bones1.jpg

I'm not sure the fins on the fuselage but the semi-wings are always white in all old school Tomcats.

Cheers

FEDE

Honza: I love your way of applying paint.

I always look at their works, are an example to follow.

Don´t forget this little details in white paint...

Bones1.jpg

I'm not sure the fins on the fuselage but the semi-wings are always white in all old school Tomcats.

Cheers

FEDE

Agreed, Honza's builds are always inspiring. Saving that picture to my reference section, we dont see many good clear overhead shots of Gloss Gull Grey Tomcats. That shcheme must be from around 1979 or so. In 1980 they had an interim paint scheme, basically just over painting the upper sides of the control surfaces in GGG, and leaving the undersides completely white (as seen in the movie "The Final Countdown), not long after that they went to the over all gloss gull grey.

Proof once more that early VF-84's are the best looking Cat's ever.

YEP, I agree (maybe aside the VF-111 Sundowners cat...) and Honza s doing an outstanding job!!! :P

It's always amazing and pleasure to see your work especially on the painting part.. marvelous as always..

I do have something curious about..

P1040669_resize.jpg

In this part where you've shown the base color just after the pre-shading.. it seems that most of the panel lines already much accentuated.. but since you didn't mention panel line wash, this is the part that I'm curious about.

In most people's build, after the applying the color coat onto the pre-shading.. usually shadows will appear on the panel line, but rarely the panel line itself will look accentuated and as solid as yours before the panel line/oil wash.

Any special steps needed to achieve this effect Mr. Honza?

Is it due to the deepened panel line which has been rescribed or any particular way of airbrushing the color coat to avoid flattening the effect of the panel lines?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Your work always inspires me ;)

Hi Klay, thank you.

The dark panel lines are efect of preshading.... It´s only presh and base color.

Lines are rescribed, and the dark shadow (preshading) isn´t repainted completely.

Here is some progress on CAT.... repair of tail and some other color supplement.

P1040744_resize.jpg

P1040747_resize.jpg

P1040752_resize.jpg

Hi Honza. I was studying your previous Jolly Rogers build from 2008:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....63197&st=60

Would you say your current painting technique (especially post-shading with different shades) is pretty much the same, or do you think you have changed/improved your technique over time? To me, they both look absolutely amazing, yet I do see some subtle differences. It would thus greatly help me understand your approach if you could explain what details you now pay more attention to.

So excited to see the finish.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Honza. I was studying your previous Jolly Rogers build from 2008:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....63197&st=60

Would you say your current painting technique (especially post-shading with different shades) is pretty much the same, or do you think you have changed/improved your technique over time? To me, they both look absolutely amazing, yet I do see some subtle differences. It would thus greatly help me understand your approach if you could explain what details you now pay more attention to.

So excited to see the finish.

Thanks in advance.

I second that!

What you do here Honza is nothing less than art! :lol:

Many thanks gentlemans!

2 Janissary: Thank you too. I am using two base method (types) of shading, I have tried.

Important is have some photo of real plane.

When you see the photo of real fist tomcat I build, you can see some base grey and many dirt on him.

So the tutorial was base grey and many darker shades on that.....

162692F-14AVF-84ODS3-18-91RMorganx.jpg

And for more lighter schemes ( like on this tomcat) you can see different shades on ligh grey.

And then was my tutirial preshading, base grey, lighter shades .........

vf841979nimitz.jpg

I choose the type of weathering under the type of dirt on real plane....

But on tomcat you can trying many procedure on many types of weathering....

Edited by Honza K.