Me410 A-1: To The Finish! 11/7/10

4. inserted the propeller tip into the hole and pressed it deeper, so the polyethylene stretches around the tip

5. polyethylene, which plastic bag is made of, stretches quite nicely and fits the propeller tip in the area I want it to be

I have heard of and considered the stretchy plastic bag method, but was put off this method as I wasn't sure how I would be able to ensure the masked area would be perfectly level / parallel to the base of the spinner. How did you manage to achieve this, as it sounds like a fantastically simple solution to the problem ?!?

Apologies for this minor hijack.

I have heard of and considered the stretchy plastic bag method, but was put off this method as I wasn't sure how I would be able to ensure the masked area would be perfectly level / parallel to the base of the spinner. How did you manage to achieve this, as it sounds like a fantastically simple solution to the problem ?!?

Good question, Anthony! Frankly speaking, I guess I was just lucky enough because Dora's spinner has a panel line, which divides the spinner in 2 parts. Judging from the profiles and photos I've found out that the tip of the spinner is yellow and "demarcation line" between the colours runs through that panel line. So it was quite an easy task for me. But I'd suggest marking the circle (that you've made our of a plastic bag) borders in contrast (contrast to a spinner base colour) - so you can better see if the line is parallel to a spinner base.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Ingenuity is the word! Thanks, guys- Anthony, I'll be using your method, but with a pencil, to mark the spinners for decal placement. I f the decals (Plan D) fail, I'll use your method with tape and a blade. The plastic bag theory is reall great as well- so many ways to skin a cat! :doh:

I'm grateful for the assist, my friends- cheers to all!

chuk

Chuk,

Have you considered using Parafilm? Of course, this doesn't address the issue of getting a straight line around the circumference of the spinner, but the nice thing is that Parafilm is super flexible, and will go around a compound curve better than any tape you'll ever find. Plus, when it's applied properly, it produces extremely sharp demarcation lines with no bleed-under.

Actually, I just had a thought while reading Anthony L's post regarding the cutting jig he made with the X-Acto blade and the stack of Post-Its (great idea BTW). I'd think it would be easy enough to make some kind of a marking jig using a mechanical pencil: draw a thin pencil line on the spinner, apply the Parafilm around the line, and spray away. I think it would work.

Fantastic build, BTW...I'm not a big fan of Luftwaffe subjects, but I've been following this one with great interest. :thumbsup:

Chuk,

For some reason I really like your name, but in spite of that, I think you're crazier than hek. I have no idea what you're building, but I always check in because, well, it's so friggin' interesting every time I do! Your modeling skill level is only exceeded by your clever sense of humor and very nice cleavage (not yours). I sure hope you never finish this model. :thumbsup:

Chuck

In January 2009, I posted the following in answer to someone else's post... I am posting again here, just to prove I had a good idea before "Chuck the greatest builder in the world" did or that newbie Anthony L :whistle::woot.gif:

"I’m going to try to explain this one without photo’s, so bare with me….

Here is how I do the bomb stripes. Being a stickler for wanting to paint everything, as opposed to using DECK’EL’s (not DEEK'EL's! ), this is the best way I’ve found.

Paint the bomb the base colour. Let dry. Brush Future over it, let dry.

Now use a wide piece of Tamiya masking tape and wrap it around the nose or wherever a stripe is to appear. The tape will cover probably ¾ of the bomb. You’ll get the “funnel†effect that happens when you are wrapping tape around a curve. Don’t worry about it. Just make sure the tape overlaps itself at the point where you want the stripe. Rub the tape down firmly.

Ok. Here’s where it gets a little strange. I have a thick dictionary. I stand the bomb up beside the book. Between the pages of the book, I put a fresh Exacto blade at the highest point I want the stripe. Then I just spin the bomb around with my fingers while it rests on the desk, lightly pushing it into the blade. This cuts the top portion of the stripe. I move the blade down a few pages in the book to the height of the bottom of the stripe. Spin again! Remove the tape, paint it, and remove the rest of the tape. Done. Perfect!

I know this may sound a little strange but it works very well and the process really only takes a few minutes or so to complete."

To which C-130CrewChief responded with...

"Wow...

I had to read it twice, but the second time I read it the light bulb went on. This may one of the most useful tips I have gotten in a long time. I'm sure a phone book would work as well."

All meant in fun Anthony L and Chuck! (this what happens when I'm bored) :pray:

I think you're the greatest!

Edited by Miccara

"I owe a big debt of gratitude to all those who shared their tips" :banana:

It looks like everybody knew this but me! :doh: Thanks, Anthony- and Miccara!

Chuck, many thanks, although what I have is more crack than cleavage... :thumbsup:

In January 2009, I posted the following in answer to someone else's post... I am posting again here, just to prove I had a good idea before "Chuck the greatest builder in the world" did or that newbie Anthony L <_< :thumbsup:

Erm, OK. Well done you! :(

Anthony 'that newbie' L.

Hi Chuk,

Inspirational, motivational and educational....quite a combo! It's a shame the bottle of Mr Masking Sol didn't work for you, I love that stuff. It sets up so fast that the brush in the cap is useless, instead I use old paint brushes, toothpicks and wire. Anyways, I love the ideas and techniques that you've taken the time to demonstrate for us, this thread is worth years of trial and error. Thanks for your continued efforts :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thankfully, I got my Chuk fix for the week. Excellent work, as usual, Chuk!

Also, I've noticed that the Canadian penny just laying around on my desk is becoming more insolent the more I read your updates......

Justin

Chuk,

LOOKS GREAT! I think the most frustrating thing with those barrels is that there are NONE anywhere for 1/24 guns. Sure... one could use a larger caliber barrel from 1/32, or 1/48 to make it "look" like a 1/24 barrel, but it wouldn't look right. My gripes aside, your work looks AMAZING as always. We may as well be getting pictures from the real Me410's assembly line - though I doubt the construction crews from that period were as attractive as your assistants we're seeing here.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks!

A brief update, as I'm breaking, for me, new ground. My pressing off the kit canopy had some serious flaws, so I've decided to make a vacuform- using a female mold! We can trust Hauptmann Hannah to lead us down this perilous path, can't we?

Me410_501.jpg

Me410_502.jpg

Me410_503.jpg

Me410_504.jpg

Me410_505.jpg

Me410_506.jpg

Me410_507.jpg

Me410_508.jpg

Hmmm, lets look at the evidence...

Obsessive attention to detail, laid back relaxed attitude, creates non-existent characters in his head, obviously doesn't have a lot of extra money because he makes everything he needs instead of buying it, now I find out he just happens to have has a scale set at home? From his "balsa modelling days"? Right. He's been "flying" all right... explains a lot there Chuck. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you don't mind but this is my first ever post on this forum; I registered just so I could say this.

There I was, mooching around the internet when I came across this fabulous web site.

Having last built a model say, oh, 30 odd years ago my curiosity was aroused ... then, whilst, trolling through the WIP topics I came across this thread and, with absolutey no disrespect to the other modelling craftsmen ........... WOW!.

Absolutely Inspiring ! Staggering Attention to Detail, Incredibly Informative, Witty, Artistic and just, well fabulous. It's just not fair that all these talents are bestowed on one person alone. How you're able to put in the hours to build the project is beyond me let alone photograph it, add the terrific drawings and the commentary.

Thanks for the entertainment, I'll enjoy following your build and, you never know, a short portly man (me) might be seen trotting off to his local hobby shop clutching a picture of your work as inspiration.

Have fun !

Absolutely Inspiring ! Staggering Attention to Detail, Incredibly Informative, Witty, Artistic and just, well fabulous.
Welcome to ARC Obant :rofl:

Since Chuck is probably too modest to mention them, I'd suggest you go check out some of his other incredible builds:

He-111

Helldiver!

Achtung Huckbein!

U-69 - U-69 finished - U-69 display

Enjoy!