1/32 Academy F-18D to CF-18B kicked up a notch.

I'm impressed by your dedication. As other have already pointed out, I'd have looked the other way and never dared to redo all the job you as you so bravely and successfully did!

Congratulations on a piece that will certainly look more than great once finished!

/Kristian

Thanks again guys! Before I get onto the wingtip pods, I still had some business with the front end to finish up, especially since I had to tear off the front gear door (J20) and fill in those panels and rivets that shouldn't be there. Here she looks now with all the gear doors installed properly. Again, I used Eduard photo-etch hinges for the front 2 doors and while I had the bird flipped over, I installed the antennae and pitot tubes. For this legacy Hornet, I used all 3 square antennae (D36), with the first one down at the bottom between the pitot tubes and one small antenna, S19, in the middle of the J20 door. I'll need another S19 for the top of the spine as well (there's only one in this kit), so I'll steal one from another kit or make a new one.....

Prelim31-1.jpg

One of those small details at the front I always wondered about is that little tiny vent-like door that flips open when the F-18 is parked. I got a good picture of it at Nellis on the NASA F-18A. The sides are red, but the back of it is fuselage color, in this case white......

Prelim35-1.jpg

The kit part for this little flip door is D47, which is a little block of plastic with absolutely no detail and the instructions have you paint the whole thing red. Looking for a better solution, I made one of my own using an aluminum soda can and my little "Hold and Fold" photo-etch brass bender to form something a lot closer to the real deal. Here's also where the second antenna goes, right behind the front gear door.....

Starboard side...

Prelim33-1.jpg

Port side....

Prelim34-1.jpg

and a real close-up, since it's so tiny. At this magnification you can see ALL the warts of the build up front........

Prelim36-1.jpg

A could not for the life of me find a pic of the back side on a CF-18, so I assume it's the same Gunship Grey as the false canopy. If not, please let me know!.......

Prelim32-1.jpg

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by chuck540z3

This is an amazing build. With your latest pics I have to double-check whether you are posting a reference pic of the real thing or a pic of your model. Superb work.

Mark Storin

Thanks Scooby. Is that the big square box at the rear between the gear doors? I've got a bunch of pics of CF-18's in flight and you can definitely still see in there, so the cover (if I have the right part) would have to be mesh?

Yes it is mesh.

I owe you lunch on this one, what an awesome build.

Thank you guys for your kind words of encouragement. Now some pods, or at least one of them. These little suckers are a lot of work if you want them to look like the real deal. First pod finished is the CATM-9 pod that almost always goes on the port side. Although I have several pics of this pod from several sources, I don't have a pic of one myself, but this linked pic is a good place to start....

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_col...0Lake%20026.JPG

There are also lots of pics of pods on the Canadian Armed Forces site below. The CT-155 Hawk trainer has some excellent high resolution pics of these pods, especially the Cubic ACMI pod I'll show in my next post:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/.../photos-eng.asp

There are several things to note about the Canadian version of this CATM-9 pod as follows:

1) The fins are left off to reduce drag.

2) Front fin holes are filled with raised silver colored plugs.

3) Those little windows between the front 2 rings are partially filled with putty

4) Rear fin mounting points are just shallow ribs.

5) Arming handle is missing

6) There is an extra ring collar forward of the usual first two, which is blue in color

7) Numbering is upside down for port side, but right side up for starboard side. On the CT-155 Hawk, this pod is on the starboard side, but it carries the ACMI pod on the port side. As a result, ACMI lettering is upside down on the Hawk.

Other stuff I've learned in reviewing several pics:

1) Blue rings are all over the place, but usually close to what is shown above.

2) Almost none of the decals from the Two Bobs CATM-9 pod apply. They work for American pods only.

3) Other lettering is quite random, although the "425" at the back seems to be on all of them, so it can't be a serial number.

As indicated earlier, I'm using the excellent Zactoman/ Alexander AIM-9 L/M resin missile as a base. It's too bad I'm not attaching the beautiful thin fins and other neat stuff included with the kit, but the fine details of the missile body are worth using it anyway. Here's a pic of the kit part at top, the Zactoman missile in the middle and my final product at the bottom. The kit part, as you can see, isn't even close....

CATM-9-1.jpg

To get close to the real deal, I did the following modifications. The "fin plugs" are a little too large, but replicating smaller ones is beyond my skill set. I also used the kit decals for the most part, even though they are very thick and are a struggle to get laid down on a curved surface, especially the blue bands. The Two Bobs blue bands are very dark- almost black, which is too bad or I would have used them instead. The arming decal also has an arming handle on it, which is unnecessary on the Zactoman missile anyway....

CATM-9-2.jpg

Another angle of the front. For that extra ring collar at the front, I sued a soda pop aluminum again, which made a very clean and finely edged ring. I painted it blue first, then installed it with CA glue.....

CATM-9-3.jpg

The Zactoman missile set is for a live one, so I installed the kit part instead that looks like a slot screwdriver would fit inside. It is metal colored on the end with a gold ring, although this pic doesn't show it very well. The rear fin ribs could be more detailed with the tiny little notches, but I was lucky to get it looking this good, so I didn't tempt fate with any notching.....

CATM-9-4.jpg

I'm not going to install the pods or wingtip LAU-7 launchers until the very end, because they tend to catch on everything when you move the model. Here it is taped together for a dry fit......

CATM-9-5.jpg

Make sure you add that little red dot at the front inside of the launcher....

CATM-9-6.jpg

Next up, will be the Cubic ACMI pod. Now this one is very special!

Edited by chuck540z3

Outstanding work Chuck!

I'm doing an Aussie Hornet at the moment, and although I have done one before, seeing your attention to the small details etc reminds me to double check a lot of the details on mine.

Great stuff! :thumbsup:

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks guys.

I just found out from my very reliable source, Jari, that the reason I see "425" on the pod so much is that it signifies 425 Squadron, which is based in Bagotville, Quebec, not Cold Lake, where the pics were taken. Dang! Back to the drawing board again. I'll somehow change "425" to "410", which is the correct squadron. After a good coat of lacquer dullcoat, this should be fun. :D

Magnificent Chuck! :thumbsup:

Your attention to every minute detail is admirable. The clarity of your images coupled with concise and clear narrative is much appreciated. This in-progress thread has become a hugely useful resource to everyone on a Bug build.

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to share your experiences and techniques. :salute:

:cheers:

Magnificent Chuck! :thumbsup:

Your attention to every minute detail is admirable. The clarity of your images coupled with concise and clear narrative is much appreciated. This in-progress thread has become a hugely useful resource to everyone on a Bug build.

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to share your experiences and techniques. :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

You're more than welcome Guy. You wrote the book on all of the above, so I'm just trying to contribute in my own way.

Now for my latest: The Cubic ACMI pod! Wanting to "Kick this up a notch", there's no way I could leave the starboard wingtip launcher empty or put a non-typical missile there. If you look at any pics of CF-18's taken within the last 3 years or so, they almost all have the Cubic ACMI pod sitting there, with the CATM-9 described above on the port side. If you don't believe me, check out this pic (double click for High Res. version):

http://www.airforceimagery.forces.gc.ca/ne...talog=casimages

One of several, that can be found at our Canadian Air Force web site below. These pics are very high resolution, so you can blow them up and get lots of detail, especially the Cubic ACMI pods on the CT-155 Hawk.....(server is SLOOOW)

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/.../photos-eng.asp

Or Derek Heyes excellent site here:

http://hazersflightline.com/hornetsnest.htm

Now I'd like to take credit for the construction of the scratch built pod, but I can't. It was made by a modeling friend of mine, but he only had a 1/48 pod to use as a guide. Unfortunately some of the dimensions got a little too long, so I had to cut off the needle nose a bit and trim back the rear about a 1/4 of an inch. Even then, he did an outstanding job- He's a genius! Let's just pretend I bought it from a great resin supplier like Zactoman. ;)

This leaves some of the mounting collars in the wrong place, but the overall length now is just about perfect. Unless you've got a pic of the real deal and compare them side by side, I think you'll agree this looks pretty darn accurate. Note that I also changed the squadron number "425" to the correct one, "410" on the CATM-9 pod on the bottom. Now that was a PITA after lacquer dullcoat, but I had little choice. I set them next to the wingtip launchers to give you an idea of the approximate mounting locations. I also built-up the navigation lights on each launcher with Future, because the kit parts are hollow rather than smooth like the real deal.....

ACMI-1.jpg

Those collars were painted with Alclad steel, followed by Aluminum.......

ACMI-2.jpg

The orange/gold tip was a mixture of yellow and a touch of red.....

ACMI-3.jpg

Getting a good pic of the rear of the pod is tough. If you blow up this pic of one on a Hawk below, you get an idea of some probe-like features with 2 sticking out horizontal to the pod. You can also see that "CDN" on the rear, but no serial number on the front. I assumed "CDN" meant Canadian, but Ken Middleton has a pic of one used on a Norwegian F-16 (below) and I think it says the same thing. Anybody know?

http://www.kenmiddleton.net/real_aviation/...Way%20Close.jpg

The pic above of CF-18's clearly shows serial number "031" on the lead one, so that's what I used. These decals were hand made because I couldn't find anything else that was close in size or color. The Two Bobs decals for this pod have none of them....

http://www.airforceimagery.forces.gc.ca/ne...talog=casimages

I added a bit of detail to the back in similar fashion with photo-etch bits, but I really have no idea what I'm doing.

ACMI-4.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this baby. Hopefully the upcoming Two Mikes version is just as good or better!

ACMI-5.jpg

I've been leaving the ladder to the cockpit to the end because I don't really like it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I have some ideas. Stay tuned- and thanks again for your interest in this build. Since I'm rapidly running out of parts, I must be getting close to the end!

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,

Amazing!!!! I would not even imagine my own build to be 1/10th as good as yours. A true master.

Are you going to hang a Sniper Pod on the Aircraft, I notice that many of the updated A/C seem to be carrying this on the Left cheek.

All you really are missing are boot prints.

I think this build should be Pinned as reference material.

:worship:

Emil

I'm seriously in awe of your build here, Chuck! What a masterpiece this has become. I know for sure I'll be referring to this whenever it is I get to my Academy Hornets, especially being that I would love to do an Canadian bird as well.

Thanks very much for what you're doing and, most importantly, for sharing it with us!

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

Thanks a lot guys!

I'm seriously in awe of your build here, Chuck! What a masterpiece this has become. I know for sure I'll be referring to this whenever it is I get to my Academy Hornets, especially being that I would love to do an Canadian bird as well.

Thanks very much for what you're doing and, most importantly, for sharing it with us!

Rob

Thanks and you're welcome.

When I'm done I'm going to compile a "to do" thread with all the changes required to convert the 1/32 Academy F-18C/D into an F-18A/B, as well as the specific changes required to create a Canadian variant. I'll have part numbers listed, etc. and other changes required to improve the kit, no matter what version you're making - all while I still remember what the heck I did. I'll even list a few tweaks I wish I'd done in hindsight, like adding more detail to the side searchlight.

Chuck,

Amazing!!!! I would not even imagine my own build to be 1/10th as good as yours. A true master.

Are you going to hang a Sniper Pod on the Aircraft, I notice that many of the updated A/C seem to be carrying this on the Left cheek.

;)

Emil

188910 is an old "Legacy Hornet" that was never updated, so no. Maybe next time!