Brian,

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just offering a different opinion. Firstly I bought lots of your tomcat sheets in the past, and I never had one ounce of trouble with quality, shipping or customer service. I'm not much of a jet builder so I can not tell you what will sell or not. All I can say is this, I was a customer in the past, based on the quality and subject matter of what you were making at the time, Tomcat sheets. However if you start going down the road of A-6's, A-7's, A-4's, F-18, F-16 etc, I doubt that I will purchase these sheets from you or anyone for that matter, unless they are really cool, and may tastes change towards other jets. I know that you need to expand your product range to grow your business, but in the past you got my business because of the excellent work you did on 1:48 F-14 decals. So please keep that in mind while going forward, and good luck with your business.

Ron

SR-71A 1/72 All off em, all time frames

F-117a As above

U-2 As above

Theres hardly any love for these planes, and there must be millions of kits?

Thanks Jamie

-what Jamie said, but in 1/48. A significant shotrfall !

(esp-after CE's collapse)

Reading this post..............most requests are after specific time periods or historical events ? I like that, and belive this is where the hobby is heading - significant subjects not just a sample aeroplane ? (and yes I know this is were your coming from)

Brian,

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just offering a different opinion. Firstly I bought lots of your tomcat sheets in the past, and I never had one ounce of trouble with quality, shipping or customer service. I'm not much of a jet builder so I can not tell you what will sell or not. All I can say is this, I was a customer in the past, based on the quality and subject matter of what you were making at the time, Tomcat sheets. However if you start going down the road of A-6's, A-7's, A-4's, F-18, F-16 etc, I doubt that I will purchase these sheets from you or anyone for that matter, unless they are really cool, and may tastes change towards other jets. I know that you need to expand your product range to grow your business, but in the past you got my business because of the excellent work you did on 1:48 F-14 decals. So please keep that in mind while going forward, and good luck with your business.

Ron

Ron-

Thanks for your input amigo. You're not hurting my feelings any if you choose not to purchase certain decals from us. I mean, we can't please everyone. If we release something you don't like, I wouldn't expect you or anyone else for that matter to buy what what we release "just because we're decal company so and so". I can't just release an F-18 sheet or A-6 sheet (for example) just for the hell of it. The subject matter has to be sh*t hot or it's just not getting out there. We encourage our customers to buy only what you're interested in from us. If we release something you like, by all means, buy away!

My decision to expand our subject matter stems from 2 issues. 1. My partner in crime has an affinity for 1/72 heavies, modern fighter jets of all types and just about anything that flies and has jet engines. 2. VF-Decals was really just about F-14's. There were so many Naval Aviation subjects that really I wanted to release, but my passion for F-14 decals was driving me and I just didn't want to cover anything else until I got all the tomcat decals I wanted to do out of my system. Has that happened yet? No, but my eyes are opened to looking at new things.

I guess the common misconception people have about me and maybe it's due to the persona I display on line, is that I'm passionate only about F-14's and the Jolly Rogers. For the most part, that's undeniably true, but believe it or not, all aspects of modern Naval Aviation fascinate me. From Vietnam era to Modern day, I just love Navy aircraft. I'm actually a closet F-8 Crusader and P2V Neptune nut, but please.....don't tell anyone!

I greatly appreciate your patronage at VF-Decals, and I hope we will get the opportunity to serve you at Vagabond.

Edited by VFA-103guy

After reading "Sailor's to the End" a few times, the Forrestal fire in '67 is a project i'd like to do. McCain's A-4 and the VF-11 F-4B that launched the zuni. Not a diorama, but built as tribute to the sailors who fought and died to save their ship.

Faceshot's Tomcat from his strafing mission with VF-32 in Iraq from "Speed and Angels" is another I'd like to do.

The Saints, VA-163. The hard luck squadron the flew off the Oriskany. Adm Stockdale and John McCain probably the most notable.

Like mentioned above, decals for at least the '89 Sidra incident.

Hey Brian,

An A-4M and aggressor scooters sheet would be much appreciated in 1/72 as fujimi kits are easy to find and lack good decals. :)

Best Regards.

Clément.

Hey Brian another sheet idea that i think people would like to see and a sheet that really hasn't been done in the model trade. VF-142 Gostriders would be a great idea but if you do this sheet could you please please include Joe "REB" Edwards 1991 jet. For those who don't know about this guy his jet had a bad accident when the jets radome came off and smashed into the canopy messing him and his rio up,but he managed to bring the jet back to the carrier as messed up as he was. this is a jet that i have been trying real hard to find bits for years to make the model but no luck.

Andrew

Brian, glad you hear you're back in business & good luck with the new adventure. I would like to see some sheets in 1/144. Maybe even a super sheet cover a wide range or show & line birds.

Brian

Fellas-

Since we are just getting started in the decal biz (well, in my case re-started), what would you like to see from us?

F-8 Crusaders...man...I love the F-8. I think some well deserved F-8 decals would be needed in 1/48. VF-301 for sure..don't ask me what my obsession is..

Thanks.

Oompa and Hazelnuts

I posted this in a Fightertown thread, but I'm not picky where they show up (as long as they do) because I've been waiting YEARS for these.

• F-8E from VMF-235 (preferably with either a red or white nose cone).
  • F-8E (150670) from VF-51, Page 70 of Naval Fighters Number Nineteen, Part Four, Vought's F-8 Crusader, Navy Fighter Squadrons, by Steven Ginter.
  • F-8K (147025 or any other with MG tail code) from VMF-321 Black Barons, Page 36-38 of Naval Fighters Number Eighteen, Part Three, Vought's F-8 Crusader, Marine Fighter Squadrons, by Steven Ginter.
  • RF-8G of VFP-63 with the "Eyes of the Fleet" markings on the wing bulkhead, Page 47 of Naval Fighters Number Seventeen, Part Two, Vought's F-8 Crusader, Navy and Marine RF-8 Photo-Recon Squadrons, by Steven Ginter.
  • TF-8A while assigned to Navy Test Pilot School, 2nd from top on the right hand side of the back cover of Naval Fighters Number Sixteen, Part One, Vought's F-8 Crusader,Development and Testing, Foreign Users and F8U-3, by Steven Ginter.

While I understand there are no kits available for the last three, I love having conversions given as the last option on a decal sheet the way Aeromaster did with their 56th FG P-47 Thunderbolt sheet (P-47G - Category E).

When I look at a decal sheet, I look at what possibilities it creates for me and that is a HUGE selling point.

I posted this in a Fightertown thread, but I'm not picky where they show up (as long as they do) because I've been waiting YEARS for these.

• F-8E from VMF-235 (preferably with either a red or white nose cone).
  • F-8E (150670) from VF-51, Page 70 of Naval Fighters Number Nineteen, Part Four, Vought's F-8 Crusader, Navy Fighter Squadrons, by Steven Ginter.
  • F-8K (147025 or any other with MG tail code) from VMF-321 Black Barons, Page 36-38 of Naval Fighters Number Eighteen, Part Three, Vought's F-8 Crusader, Marine Fighter Squadrons, by Steven Ginter.
  • RF-8G of VFP-63 with the "Eyes of the Fleet" markings on the wing bulkhead, Page 47 of Naval Fighters Number Seventeen, Part Two, Vought's F-8 Crusader, Navy and Marine RF-8 Photo-Recon Squadrons, by Steven Ginter.
  • TF-8A while assigned to Navy Test Pilot School, 2nd from top on the right hand side of the back cover of Naval Fighters Number Sixteen, Part One, Vought's F-8 Crusader,Development and Testing, Foreign Users and F8U-3, by Steven Ginter.

While I understand there are no kits available for the last three, I love having conversions given as the last option on a decal sheet the way Aeromaster did with their 56th FG P-47 Thunderbolt sheet (P-47G - Category E).

When I look at a decal sheet, I look at what possibilities it creates for me and that is a HUGE selling point.

In 1/48th scale please.

Oh yea...OA-4Ms, in both the low-viz grey and dark green schemes.

And as far as Skyhawks go, I would love to do these:

All in 1/48th scale.

Reissue of 1/48 kit but not a big production A/C like the A2F-1Q or EA-6A. Reserves stuff there.

And yes I agree it would be nice to do a Navy C-130 in any of the scales.

For Air Force, NEVER seen a 21st TFTS Black Cheetahs F-4E (35th TFW George AFB) done in any scale.

With the F-105, would be a help to do Bud Anderson's Old Crow II in 1/32 so I don't have to enlarge the Aeromaster sheet (did I say that?)

Guys,

Again, thank you for all the great input both publicly and privately.

I have a question for the masses. Hazelnuts and I were talking about re-releasing the old VF F-14 data sheet (with a few changes) some time in the distant future and in order to help keep the cost down to say around $7 or so, we had this idea. If we provided a downloadable PDF instruction file, would that make the item more appealing at a $7 cost? Or is it just cool to get a paper placement guide with your decals?

This idea is not set in stone, it's just an idea so don't go nuts and fire up the rumor mills.

Also, what about stencil sheets for planes like the E-2? Are they needed or even wanted?

Also, for those of you who might be after additional copies of the VF F-14 data sheet, Gordon still has some on Sprue Brothers!

I think that people like to have a paper placement guide but I'd say that if you really want to keep the cost down, a nicely done PDF instruction file is better than a poorly printed black and white paper one.

could really use some nice 1/72 PBM mariner decals

if this interests you at all please let me know. I just bought the Mach 2 kit to build into my grandfathers aircraft and some real decals for it.

I know its not a jet, im just hopeful.

Edited by Shawn M
I think that people like to have a paper placement guide but I'd say that if you really want to keep the cost down, a nicely done PDF instruction file is better than a poorly printed black and white paper one.

I'm with you on this one. Personally, I like getting the placement guides with my decals. I think black and white placement guides are a thing of the past although I think Super Scale still uses them to keep their costs down.

1/72? :thumbsup: Okay, since you asked...

recent VFC-12 Omars Hornets

VF-211 F-14s from OEF/OIF

VFA-211 Super Hornets

ATARS Hornets

the camo'ed Prowlers of VAQ-142 and VAQ-133

Vietnam-era Skyhaks, Intruders, Corsairs, Crusaders,...

Got no clue whatsoever how popular these would be, although I think the VFC-12 and VF/VFA-211 stuff could sell well.

I second the VF-211 F-14s request in 1/72.

Brian, glad you hear you're back in business & good luck with the new adventure. I would like to see some sheets in 1/144. Maybe even a super sheet cover a wide range or show & line birds.

Brian

YES! Let me second some 1/144 decals for the heavies – KC-97G/L; K/B-29; B-52D/F/G/H; B-47B/E to name but a few… :thumbsup:

I’ve got some ideas and photos but I’m wondering how feasible/popular you think 1/144 scale might be.

Thanks for your consideration,

-Derek

hhmmmm....1/144 scale stuff..

This has me thinking a bit. If we dabbled in that scale, we could literally produce a multitude of decals for different airplanes all at once.

Not a bad idea at all!