Windmark 1/48 SU-33 Conversion set

OK, it's not SOL copy, but I'll think twice 'bout buying it... 80 Euros + shipping :(

Thank you, Stephen.

Edit: For the same price you can buy Su-30MKK in 1/32 in the same store...

Edited by supergru

Why does everyone have such a problem with this price? That's a TON of resin! I recall the SOL Su-33 conversions being similarly expensive back in the day - and that was at 2000 prices (or whenever it was that they used to be available) - so the conversion being in the $100 range doesn't surprise me in the least. And BTW - it's far more complete than what SOL provided back in the day.

Edited by pcotcher
Why does everyone have such a problem with this price? That's a TON of resin! I recall the SOL Su-33 conversions being similarly expensive back in the day - and that was at 2000 prices (or whenever it was that they used to be available) - so the conversion being in the $100 range doesn't surprise me in the least. And BTW - it's far more complete than what SOL provided back in the day.

Well, I think all resin (actually almost all aftermarket ) stuff is overpriced ;)

I am probably going to buy this thing but I need to see more pictures and hopefully a review first. Picture looks really promising tough.

Well, I think all resin (actually almost all aftermarket ) stuff is overpriced :thumbsup:

I am probably going to buy this thing but I need to see more pictures and hopefully a review first. Picture looks really promising tough.

Well, you need to realize that the resin itself costs a lot, and that the molds needs to be changed regularly.

Well, you need to realize that the resin itself costs a lot, and that the molds needs to be changed regularly.
Yes the resin is expensive but the RTV for the molds is really expensive.

Also consider how many hours it took to make those original patterns. It's much more difficult making parts that have to dis-assemble when you are finished than it is gluing together them together and painting them.

Consider that each part needs to have pour sprues and mold boxes made to fit, also time consuming.

Each mold needs to be cleaned and rubber banded or taped together before casting.

Each part needs to be carefully demolded so as not to break or warp them.

Then there's all the other little things that add up like packaging, obtaining supplies and printing instructions not to mention that this kit includes decals which had to be drawn up and printed.

It's a very time consuming process and not very profitable.

I'd say the price is fine if the quality is good.

:cheers:

I wonder how soon it will be; before Acad,Tami, Hase, Trumpy, or HB comes out with one in 1/48 in a kit ?.

Yes the resin is expensive but the RTV for the molds is really expensive.

A very good reason why a lot of modelers are willing to pay you and others for quality resin products, not to mention the hazards of working with resin.

Edited by Angels49

Dont forget that you really need a cockpit for this one. You can't possibly leave Academy pit there.

SOL conversion is much more extencive than this. It included the cockpit and the exhaust, metal legs too.

FYI SOL conversion has as I remember aprox 100 trees of resin parts. Yes not just he parts but resin trees. Do you still think it costs to much.

I wonder how soon it will be; before Acad,Tami, Hase, Trumpy, or HB comes out with one in 1/48 in a kit ?.

Academy - very doubtful as they would have to make significant changes to the fuselage molds.

Tamiya - never happen

Hasegawa - never happen

Trumpeter - slight possibility, but it would likely be in 1/32, not 1/48

HB - unlikely unless Trumpeter does in one first in 1/32, they they'll scale it down

I odered mine, since I also have SOL conv. I will be able to compare them...look forward to review in march when WM gets released.

Cheers

P

Anxiously waiting for your review....

Academy - very doubtful as they would have to make significant changes to the fuselage molds.

Tamiya - never happen

Hasegawa - never happen

HB - unlikely unless Trumpeter does in one first in 1/32, they they'll scale it down

Yeah, I agree, but

Academy has a Su-30 and HB has a Su-27 coming this year, may be they wont stop there...

Unfortunately, Academy seems to going the same "Su-30" route as Trumpeter did in 1/32, choosing a non-canard version that shares the same basic fuselage as a normal Su-27. A canard version would really need a completely new fuselage mold to properly represent the shoulder for the canards, and so far the companies seem to be shying away from making that big mod. On top of that, folding wings and tailplanes would need to be specially made for the Sea Flanker, which means even more molding changes. I think it's a big investment for a mainstream model company for an aircraft of which only about 36 were built.

Edited by Dave Williams

Yep you are right for Su-33, but there is J-15 :monkeydance: So, I think Trumpeter might have smt for us in the future (2-5 years :whistle: ) with Varyag closing to be an operational carrier...

Moreover, canard version of Flankers are not limited to Su-33. Su-30MKI and MKM might have some market too. If you ignore small antennas etc. Only major difference between a Su-30 and Su-30MKI is canards.

Anyhow, I just think Academy and Trumpeter/HB wont stop with the releases planned in this year. Especially Trumpeter/HB looks very keen on producing everything PLA has :) J-10B was the fastest model I've ever seen.

Tamiya - never happen

Hasegawa - never happen

Hope springs eternal.....maybe by the time they do one; I can afford it.

Tamiya - never happen

Hasegawa - never happen

Hasegawa might if their 1/72 Sea Flanker sells well (I know I'm getting the 1/72 version even though I'm not a Jet guy for the most part). There's been some info coming out of Hasegawa that they may start doing more modern Russian stuff since that's what the youth market in Japan is into.

That thing is gonna look like crap with only one canard. :cheers:

The price is steep for someone who isn't "in love" with the Su-33. If you like the aircraft, I'm sure you can justify it....just like anything else.

You had also be VERY confident in your modeling abilities because that is a lot of cutting and fitting. Looks mighty tough.

Edited by B-1 Nut
Hope springs eternal.....maybe by the time they do one; I can afford it.

Last night or the end of this week two conversion kits sold on Ebay, one for over $200.00, both SOL 30 conversion kits and one for about $ 65.00. Both 1:48 Su-27 and the 30, something I follow just to see what people are willing to pay, interesting. Those that do their own conversion, the surgical method themselves, got my attention. Either way, I like the learning challenge of the do it yourself route, That's not to say I'm opposed to paying down that much cash, the experience I get from the research in these pages, show the work experience builder's do on this site. And affording it is key for me as well. It's all good no matter what route we take in getting the best out of the material at hand . Any body what to loan me some cash!!! Just kidding.