First two points comes from as i have said:

MiG-29 project has not started yet, they just tested the waters so to speak.

And yes, on Zvezda forum there was a mention of surprise 1/48 kit, but don't confuse it with the yet-to-be-announced new tool MiG-29 that Yufei and Gabor has been mentioning. That is not Zvezda, that is someone else. Well, i can't say for sure, but i would place my money that it is not Zvezda out of several reasons. We should know within a few weeks i suppose.

Surprise kit will be a WWII era subject.

• 4 months later...

Good news everyone! First CAD pictures of Su-27SM are posted, looks great to me:

Seconded! I'm glad I've skipped the Trumpeter kits so far.

It's not as if I don't have a stash to keep me occupied as it is. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Great news - can't wait for it's release.

But like Hasegawa with their Su-33, the Su-27SM is a 'one-trick pony' - you can't make any other Flanker versions from it.... :bandhead2:

It has an offset IRST and windscreen, but no IFR probe - so you can't easily make a 'standard' Su-27 from it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to see any new Flanker kits, but the SM just seems a strange marketing choice.

Are we sure they will be doing other Flanker versions later??

I'm getting on a bit - and I can't wait around for too long..... :woot.gif:

Ken

PS - I'm going to make the mortal sin of pointing things out before the kit actually exists - but aren't those fin root intakes both the same size.... :whistle:

Umm that line in the upper fuselage... Looks they are designing it with the two seaters and/or canard versions in mind.

Well spotted ! :thumbsup:

That's exactly where the joint would be if you were to do a two-seater or canards as a separate forward fuselage(although you would also need a new bottom fuselage for the canard version).

Ken

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to see any new Flanker kits, but the SM just seems a strange marketing choice.

Isn't it standard practice these days to release the less desired versions first, followed by the more popular variants..?

Cheers,

Andre

While this kind of modular construction assures possible other versions I wonder how good the fit will be over such a big complex shape as Flanker's back is.

With well designed molds, there should be no problem. RoG's new tool F-16, for instance, has a twopart fuselage to enable twoseat versions, and that's a perfect drop fit.

Cheers,

Andre

But like Hasegawa with their Su-33, the Su-27SM is a 'one-trick pony' - you can't make any other Flanker versions from it.... :bandhead2:/>/>

Ken

Why exactly?

To to make vanilla Su-27 from SM should be relatively easy especially if the IRST housing is separate and that it wont be a whole new front upper part. I would be surprised if "vanilla" parts like triangles on intakes and IP panel will not be included on the sprues with SM boxing. If they are not, then they would have to make a whole new sprue just for some small parts.

Besides, making SM3 from SM should be easy as well (if one closes canopy and/or choose to ignore different IP) by just adding two small antennas and drill four holes on the wing for the extra two pylons. And last mod isn't even needed, as they dont always fly with those two extra pylons.

Are we sure they will be doing other Flanker versions later??

Ken

5-7 versions as i said earlier in the thread.

Edited by Berkut

No word.

Not a first time they made a blunder and ignored it. Mi-24E was said to have 420 piece count while being 240 in reality, T-90 length was given in 1/25th scale not actual 1/35th.

The only two versions that won't be easily made out of first SM tooling are early long stinger Su-27 and Su-34.

Mi-24E was said to have 420 piece count while being 240 in reality

To be fair to Zvezda, their gorgeous Mi-24 has more than enough parts as it is.

I shudder to think about the process of assembling a Hind-sized 1/72nd helicopter kit from 420 parts...

Cheers,

Andre

When Zvezda upscales the Hind to 1/48..... my wallet is starting to shudder....

Hopefully not anytime soon. They promised a dozen distinct versions and I want them all in same scale.

The only two versions that won't be easily made out of first SM tooling are early long stinger Su-27 and Su-34.

and....

To to make vanilla Su-27 from SM should be relatively easy especially if the IRST housing is separate and that it wont be a whole new front upper part.

I guess it all depends on how you define 'easy'......

If the IRST housing is part of the windscreen (and that is the way I suspect it will be done) - then removing it without damaging the windscreen is no easy task - I've done it lots of times the other way round.

If it is a separate part, you still have to make a new central IRST - AND remove the offset IRST mounting platform from the upper fuselage in front of the windscreen... :woot.gif:/>/>/>

AND scratch the triangular ECM antenna for the intakes etc..... (new IP, other minor changes)

It's all a bit academic anyway - Zvezda will be making a 'vanilla' Su-27 in due course....... and I get that manufacturers produce the 'least desirable' variant first.

More power to Zvezda.... :worship:/>/>/>

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

If the IRST housing is part of the windscreen (and that is the way I suspect it will be done) - then removing it without damaging the windscreen is no easy task - I've done it lots of times the other way round.

I suspect it IRST housing is *not* a part of windshield, but a part of fuselage. Either drop part or molded to it. Reason? Surely if housing was part of windshield it would have been colored blue like windshield/canopy/IRST? Instead it is grey, like the rest of the body.

But as you are saying, it is purely academical discussion. And atleast for me, SM is more desirable than vanilla. :)

Going by the CAD drawings, I'd also say the IRST part will be part of the fuselage, not the windshield. Probably separate from the rest of the forward fuselage.

<...> And atleast for me, SM is more desirable than vanilla. :)

Just imagine this sentence taken out of context! :whistle: ;)