OT Movie: The Hunger Games

Saw it tonight with the wife. Here's some review and discussion: BTW, I have not read the books!

The Good ( there's a lot):

- great overall story

- strong leading actress, Jennifer Lawrence.

- theme of a tyrannical government vs antagonist

- theme of popular media, sensationalism, reality TV, pop culture vs antagonist

- Outdoor survival theme

- theme of sacrafice and compassion

The bad:

- jerky. close camera shots

- Donald Southerland was weak

-Lennie Kravits (spl?) who was actually a good actor IMHO, but I kept waiting for him to break out with a jammin rock song...

- borderline teen drama ( played up for movie marketing?)

The Ugly:

- Sci-Fi fashions

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I did want to beat this drum, which I've copied and pasted below from another forum as it nicely summarizes:

5. The "Capitol" treats the games much like a combination of the TV series survivor and American Idol. The portrayal of the media hype around these deadly games looks so familiar in our current media and society that its sickening.

Yeah! Discuss.

Edited by toadwbg

Having read the books, the teen drama is actually because the books were written for adolescents. I was surprised by Lenny Kravitz being in the movie in the part he was, but he played it well. Overall I thought it wasn't bad except for a couple of plot details that were changed or left out, but such things are to be expected. In the book the games actually are like a reality show in the Capitol. Everywhere else, not so much. I think the movie portrayed that well, but could have done so more in depth. The camera shots also got to be a bit much.

I didn't like it, I was dissapointed my kids did. It shows a lack or morality. I didn't enjoy a movie where kids were killing kids.

I can see your point, but I also think kids who watch or read this are old enough to understand the moral choice made: Heroes vs Villians, fairly black and white I thought.

Funny thing is: I got 3 kids of my own but this theme (kids vs kids) never really struck me at all while watching.

Edited by toadwbg

A lot of people have been comparing Hunger Games to Battle Royale, the Japanese movie from 2000. I've read the BR manga and it was a pretty good read, so I'm looking forward to watching Hunger Games to see the comparisons.

I also want to throw out a nod to Stanley Tucci as the Purple-haired Game Show Host- Ceasar. He was over the top, but in a good way, sort of like Zeus in TRON Legacy.

Woody Harrison's charachter gave me a gaffaw laugh when first introduced. Still nt sure if I liked him or not...

Edited by toadwbg

I didn't enjoy a movie where kids were killing kids.

Same here. Although I thought it was a good movie, had I known kids would be killing kids I would have not watched it. Gave me the same vibe Lord of the Flies did, great book, but kids killing kids isn't my cup of tea.

I didn't like it, I was dissapointed my kids did. It shows a lack or morality. I didn't enjoy a movie where kids were killing kids.

Isn't the movie and the books supposed to be a comment on the today's mass media fascination with reality tv, violence as entertainment, and the general downfall of moralities?

Depending how old your kids are chances are very good they are aware of these themes already. Sadly news media reports everyday on kids killing kids, or at the very least kids bullying other kids. Reality TV today is pretty much all that is on, and is going pretty extreme. I think Hunger Games is a statement on how far we want it to go. Teens at least are smart enough to ne aware of this stuff.

I plan to see it soon (haven't yet) because the whole concept is intriguing to me, not that I think it is a "right" concept, or that you should not have been disappointed your kids did like the movie.

I was impressed that a teenager interviewed on NPR today knew the meaning of the word "dystopia". That alone made it worth the price of admission.

I have that; the prescription lenses make me look such a geek...

Not seen this fillum (not likely to either), but it all sounds a bit far out to me -a diabolical, self-serving oligarchy keeping the masses down with bread & circuses? NEeeeVEeeeR!!! :rofl:

Isn't the movie and the books supposed to be a comment on the today's mass media fascination with reality tv, violence as entertainment, and the general downfall of moralities?

Depending how old your kids are chances are very good they are aware of these themes already. Sadly news media reports everyday on kids killing kids, or at the very least kids bullying other kids. Reality TV today is pretty much all that is on, and is going pretty extreme. I think Hunger Games is a statement on how far we want it to go. Teens at least are smart enough to ne aware of this stuff.

Excellent analysis.

I find it interesting how the major media outlets are blasting this movie as "Too violent" for kids and trying to dissuade parents. Hmmmmm..... So the media is against an anti- media film? A film that makes their programming look foolish, condescending, and manipulative?

I think we have a winner!

If all you took out of the Hunger Games was too much teenage violence, your missing the bigger picture IMHO. The violence in the film is no worse than a typical evening on TV, maybe less so.

I was impressed that a teenager interviewed on NPR today knew the meaning of the word "dystopia". That alone made it worth the price of admission.

Thats the thing with kids, they are smart if you hold them to high standards. We keep lowering the bar to make it "easier" and then are shocked that they come out stupid. :deadhorse1:

Saw it. knew nothing about it. The colors and fashion reminded me of Fifth Element. liked it overall (it was SWMBO's choice, and I have been dragged to worse) reminded me of lord of the flies.

Pitting slaves/unwilling combatants against one another for blood sport goes back further than a 2000 anime I'm afraid :coolio: Even movie wise it made me think of Running Man, which predates it.

In other news their was a plethora of previews for movies I don't want to see (Abe Lincoln Vampire slayer, Twilight, and one of the two live action snow whites coming out this year.) Movies I don't want to resee/reboots (spiderman, Three stooges) and Finally movies I don't want to resee/rerelease (Titanic 3D)

Teens spend money in movies though. No doubt. Everything is geared to that demographic.

I find it interesting that the author of 'The Hunger Games' is having to repeatedly deny that she has ever read 'Battle Royale' or seen the movie, which to my mind means that there's more than just 'similarities' between the two.

Vince

Excellent analysis.

I find it interesting how the major media outlets are blasting this movie as "Too violent" for kids and trying to dissuade parents. Hmmmmm..... So the media is against an anti- media film? A film that makes their programming look foolish, condescending, and manipulative?

I think we have a winner!

If all you took out of the Hunger Games was too much teenage violence, your missing the bigger picture IMHO. The violence in the film is no worse than a typical evening on TV, maybe less so.

It's never the amount of violence as the type of violence that matters. I do think it's too violent for kids, then again, I think much of what we have today is too violent and oversexed for a young mind.

It's never the amount of violence as the type of violence that matters. I do think it's too violent for kids, then again, I think much of what we have today is too violent and oversexed for a young mind.

I also think TV is overviolenced and oversexed but I tend to give films a lot more leeway. There is a place for mature entertainment, marketing that mature entertainment to kids is where media goes wrong.

Personally I'd have no problem letting my 13-year old see the Hunger Games as it is Rated PG-13. Not my 9-year old however.

I am a HUGE fan of the books, and can hardly wait to see this movie! In fact, I've signed up to be notified when it's available for pre-order on Amazon.

If you haven't read the books, get them and READ THEM, whether before or after you see the flick.

The first book, especially, offers a perfect textbook example of how to write effective dramatic fiction. It is a modern masterpiece that transcends mere genre.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I find it interesting that the author of 'The Hunger Games' is having to repeatedly deny that she has ever read 'Battle Royale' or seen the movie, which to my mind means that there's more than just 'similarities' between the two.

Vince

But the same concepts can be found in ancient Greek mythology as well; group of young people selected as "tribute" to be sacrificed to the Minatour in the Labyrinth. Combining this with contemporary reality television is a masterstroke of creative brilliance.

Frankly there's no such thing as a completely "new idea;" no creative activity ever takes place in a vacuumn, nor is any truly great artist evr ignorant of the work of others. The great composer Stravinksy once remarked that a great artist never borrows, he steals. (But does so as to make the stolen bits seem like his own!)

cheers

Old Blind Dog

But the same concepts can be found in ancient Greek mythology as well; group of young people selected as "tribute" to be sacrificed to the Minatour in the Labyrinth. Combining this with contemporary reality television is a masterstroke of creative brilliance.

Frankly there's no such thing as a completely "new idea;" no creative activity ever takes place in a vacuumn, nor is any truly great artist evr ignorant of the work of others. The great composer Stravinksy once remarked that a great artist never borrows, he steals. (But does so as to make the stolen bits seem like his own!)

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Have you read Battle Royale? It's well worth it to get the comparison between the two. It seems to me that whilst the style of the books is different (THG is a teen love story with an action plot tacked on, whilst BR is action/dark humour with a teen love story attached), and the core central concept can be taken back to ancient times, there are details within THG that have almost come directly from BR which, to my mind, are too many to be purely co-incidental.

Vince

I saw the initial ads for the movie then went and downloaded the first book to my Kindle from Amazon, liked it so much I downloaded the other two books and read those as well, then saw the movie on opening day. I liked that a lot.

I will agree the jerky, reality-TV style camera moves during action scenes did annoy a little, but also efectively drew away most viewing of actual violence, indeed the level of violence was way less than I expected from the previews.

I have to be a little suprised that anyone could see the movie without knowing the basic theme of kids fighting to the death, but I suppose if you had seen no ads for it that could be the case.

One poster mentioned the usual sci-fi fashion stupidity but in the books the Capitol population is defined as being over the top in that way, indeed Cinna as played by Lenny Kravitz was a pretty good portrayal of how he varied from the norm.

To be straight, the Games are an instrument of opression first and entertainment second, a reminder of the punishment meted out for the Districts daring to rise up against the Capitol.

It was a good film that deserves to succeed and I hope they do indeed do the last two books as I will see them if they do.

Cheers

Tony

I have read all three books and was very much looking forward to the movie. I was not disappointed, although the book is much better in bringing out details, which is to be expected. For those that saw the movie but haven't read the books it is easy to not understand what the author was after. It's not just about kids killing kids. It's about a repressive government and what they will do to control the masses. In the next two books, Katniss becomes an unwilling, but necessary, rallying point for a full-blown insurrection. The last two books aren't as strong as the first, but I actually think they will be stronger in film format. For those who are comparing it to Battle Royale, I would imagine that 99% of the people who have read/watched Hunger Games don't have a clue what that is. I sure don't. My only disappointment was that I attended a 7:00 showing on Friday night chockful of tweens. Everytime Peeta or Gail appeared on the screen there was mass squealing. Ugh! The most disturbing part was when they clapped and cheered whenever a tribute got killed. Yikes!

Edited by Darren Roberts

I too have enjoyed the books before I saw the movie.

The movie had one glaring fault: the camera work. It was terrible. Apart from that it was an interesting time at the movies which is all I can ask for. Jennifer Lawrence did a fantastic job.