Syrian chopper downed

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/17/14514429-syrian-helicopter-reportedly-downed-by-rebels-over-idlib?lite

The crew of this one didn't stand a chance of making it to the ground! :blink:

Looks like it was an Mi-8 if I'm not mistaken?

Yup, looked like a Hip variant.

The crew probably wouldn't have made it even if the Hip didn't explode, that thing was spiraling towards the ground at a pretty good clip.

The crew probably wouldn't have made it even if the Hip didn't explode, that thing was spiraling towards the ground at a pretty good clip.

I was wondering if maybe they were heading for the ground in an autorotation attempt possibly?

I was wondering if maybe they were heading for the ground in an autorotation attempt possibly?

Auto rotation one typically cuts the power and just drops on a straight line course. It also doesn't make sense that if shooting is coming from below to circle over the area one is getting shot from (go straight to put distance between you and the gunners on the ground). Nope, that bird was out of control.

What the heck would make it explode like that? The crew made it to the ground, just not in anything resembling one piece.

Auto rotation one typically cuts the power and just drops on a straight line course. It also doesn't make sense that if shooting is coming from below to circle over the area one is getting shot from (go straight to put distance between you and the gunners on the ground). Nope, that bird was out of control.

What the heck would make it explode like that? The crew made it to the ground, just not in anything resembling one piece.

Direct hit into the fuel from AAA? I heard what sounded like heavy caliber gun fire just before it exploded.

Was that a second hit or did the tanks finally go? Cause... dayum.

Dayum indeed; I think it could have been a secondary explosion of unguided rockets on the Hip etc. Nobody survived this one, so the fighters' claims of having taken prisoners is probably BS.

Looks like they may have lost the tail rotor from either mechanical failure or combat damage, that would be one explanation for the spiral. That was a massive explosion, the helo pretty much vaporized. Never seen anything like that before.

As much as the Assad regime are the "bad guys" in all this, the Hip flight crew were probably just poor shmucks doing their job like every other soldier. That was a pretty tough way to check out of life, sad to see stuff like this.

Hope this entire affair is concluded quickly.

Apparently God is Great?

Everyone has quotas, numbers must be met

it has become the standard procedure of the camera operator to follow the suicide bomber with a shaky camera, praise Allah repeatedly, and edit in extremely cheesy graphics like missiles flying into a map of Israel, for example. In this video, however, it becomes clear that Abad takes a different path.

“He actually was very steady with his camera work, which is really not what we do,†said Taliban Spokesman Omar Abdullah,

Read more: http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/03/taliban-cameraman-beheaded-for-forgetting-to-praise-allah-in-video/#ixzz29fKVF1qK

Follow us: @theduffelblog on Twitter | duffelblog on Facebook

That Hip blowing up is something to behold.

Wonder if the Hip was almost out of fuel, and an already existing flame finally got to the vapors in a near-empty tank. Don't see much logic in wasting precious rounds on an obviously terminal flightpath (not that the guys on the ground wouldn't).

Here let me save you some time...

SPOILER ALERT

None of them are going to be friendly to the US, no matter who wins

You got that right, thats why we need to just stay out of it and let them kill themselves. That whole region has been, is today and always will be a mess till mankind ends.

Robert

You got that right, thats why we need to just stay out of it and let them kill themselves. That whole region has been, is today and always will be a mess till mankind ends.

Robert

We tried that approach in Afghanistan from the 80's up until 2001. Really didn't work out very well did it?

Not saying we need to send in the 82nd Airborne (sorry TT, I meant the USMC :) ) anytime soon but to completely walk away from a self-destructing nation that owns a fairly robust arsenal of chemical weapons doesn't seem to be a particularly prudent move.

We can work through certain factions and neighboring states to have some influence on the outcome or at minimum, at least develop a few intelligence resources within the country.

The problem with the US is that most Americans seem to demand an all or nothing approach. Either invade the place and kill every godless bad-guy we can get our hands on or just ignore the problem entirely and hope it never comes back to hurt us down the road.

Most other countries seem to have a more sophisticated approach to these types of issues.

Politics aside, and for fear of sounding insensitive to the harsh realities - that explotion, when viewed agaist various Hollywood productions certainly give merit to their (Hollywoods) presentations of aircraft exploding on films.

Politics aside, and for fear of sounding insensitive to the harsh realities - that explotion, when viewed agaist various Hollywood productions certainly give merit to their (Hollywoods) presentations of aircraft exploding on films.

When I first saw that video, I really thought the explosion was computer generated.