For those who are a fan of Afterburner Decals

Yeah, sad day indeed.

Just stocked up on Hannants for my future projects.

Glad I saw this before they ran out of what I needed. Sorry to sound mercenary but I do wish the lads, Scott and Geoff well in their next venture.

I do not have a facebook account..have they closed or something bad happened. <_<

I don't have a Facebook account either, but you can view their page even without a Facebook account.

And to answer your second part, yes, they are closing effective December 31.

If Afterburner is shutting its doors just because of 2013 tax liability, that tells me they will likely re-form in 2013 as a smaller enterprise (likely under a different name) to put it in a smaller tax bracket with a reduced liability. So I don't necessarily see this change as permanent (especially if it was that hard a decision to close their doors).

This is what was posted on their FB page:

Well, it's a sad day here. As of Dec. 31 I am shuttering Afterburner Decals, so as to not incur 2013 tax liability.

We've had a tremendous amount of fun, and done some really terrific things, and I'd like to extend my sincere heartfelt gratitude to everybody who supported this little endeavor through the years. It means more to me than I can say.

It's been a tough decision, but in the end, it'

s the best course for me. The relationships and friendships that have been built here are the best thing about this.

I think maybe I'll build a model sometime...

I'll send out 1 more mass mail.

Again, thank you all...my very very best wishes for a great holiday season and a happy new year.

-Scott

If Afterburner is shutting its doors just because of 2013 tax liability, that tells me they will likely re-form in 2013 as a smaller enterprise (likely under a different name) to put it in a smaller tax bracket with a reduced liability. So I don't necessarily see this change as permanent (especially if it was that hard a decision to close their doors).

I suppose, but then why bother making an announcement at all? Why not just say that shipping and customer service will be offline for a few weeks during a re-org or something like that?

I'm not speaking for anyone - but it's not a "reorganization" - they're closing up shop for good. The talent behind the product is alive and well - just not producing any more "Afterburner Decals". Like in a divorce, December 31st or January 1st gives you credit or liability for the entire year - so it makes sense for tax purposes to end things on December 31st.

At the end of the day though - it's very sad to see such a great product go away. In the big scheme of things, we're a small group of enthusiasts who benefit from the hard work of a few. I don't know of anyone who's become rich in the scale model business, so we have to support them while we have the opportunity.

Thank you Afterburner Decals for making such a great product available, and good luck to whatever you choose to do from here on :)

Hitch

so as to not incur 2013 tax liability.

?

Maybe I should have been clearer. I don't think their decision to close has anything to do with taxes, just the timing, so I was confused about your comment linking small business and taxes. Were you not trying to make some sort of political comment about small business and taxes?

Post Deleted!

I know what I know and when it is all said and done and the truth comes out, then you guys will know what I know. I will let you ponder and "speculate" on that.

:taunt:

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Edited by SonyKen

Maybe I should have been clearer. I don't think their decision to close has anything to do with taxes, just the timing, so I was confused about your comment linking small business and taxes. Were you not trying to make some sort of political comment about small business and taxes?

Oh dear, here we go... :deadhorse1:

Man that's a bummer. I haven't talked to Scott as of yet but this has nothing to do with politics or the dust up at Zone-5. It's exactly what he said it is. I know that he has a few people that assist him at Afterburner but for the most part he was doing this on his own and as a side gig. Time to get the decals that you want now.

All,

I have talked to a couple of insiders in the decal business and I think the problems at Afterburner go a littl bit deeper than what the Facebook page is telling. I will not spread anything that I don't know as fact. I do know that this recent announcement is connected to the problems that was experienced over on Zone Five. One of the posts over on that thread was that basically Scott picked up his bat, ball and glove and went home. It is similiar to the fiasco involving Scott here on ARC. I have said it beforeand I will say it again, "Why Can't We All Just Get Along".

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Oh..ya. Way to go dude. Start spreading crap by claiming you don't want to spread crap!

Edited by Sabre Freak

Its not political at all. When taxes go up that cuts into profit, when profit gets too low or disappears businesses must make changes. Typically smaller businesses have tougher margins because larger businesses can afford the tax. Very simple. Not political as I believe taxes are as universal as death.

are death and taxes political now?

Well, my gut feeling says there is perhaps a little more to this. Okay, if Afterburner indeed makes "X" amount of dollars in a given year and pays "Y" amount of taxes with taxes potentially going up, that is indeed something worth considering. But, if something were to happen which might have dropped the potential number of customers buying products, the "X" dollar amount will drop as well. So I have to ask, is it JUST taxes? Is ending the business REALLY the only solution to this problem? Or are there indeed other factors at work?

Okay, so tax liability for 2013 means no Afterburner decals for 2013. But, come January 2014... why not? After a year off, why not restart again if the connections are still there and the talent is willing?

At the same time too, bureaucracy has killed other companies I've liked. For instance, Rho Models in Belgium had to close up shop when a government decree came down that some money had to be spent (or taxed) on employee benefits and it shut down the company even though it was a one man operation because it was still listed as a company of a certain size like others with employees since Rho models didn't make enough in income to earn a decent profit for the work involved after the hit to the pocketbook.

Look, from the man himself on Facebook:

Ok, to clear up some speculation...

A. Closing is NOT tax related, other than I just don't want to deal with including Afterburner on my 2013 takes. It's a huge PITA. It's not because the taxes will be higher, or any political motivation, I just want to have to do it once more in 2012, and that's all. This is just convenience timing, not a statement about taxes. I worded that badly...my bad.

B. It has nothing to do with anything having ever happening or not happening on any model forum. Those that are speculating...are dead wrong.

Feel free to quote this wherever you'd like.

I surely appreciate all the props and the well wishes. The reason we got into this was because of fellow modelers.

I'm not speaking for anyone other than myself. I know for a fact that what Sony Ken speculated is 100% false. That Afterburner Decals is gone is a shame no matter how you look at it. This really isn't the place or forum for trying to get in personal digs or kick someone when they're down. It's simply a time to wish them all well, and thank them for what they produced.

Hitch

Edited by GEH737