To all the Hobby Lobby fans

As many of us loves this store there is a chance of them going out of business. I don't want to start a religious or political debate. Just wanted to pass on the information I found.

HOBBY LOBBY MAY CLOSE ITS DOORS

Micah 6:8..."to act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with

your God."

Letter from Hobby Lobby Stores CEO

By David Green, the founder and CEO of Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.

When my family and I started our company 40 years ago, we were working out of a garage on a $600 bank loan, assembling miniature picture frames. Our first retail store wasn't much bigger than most people's living rooms, but we had faith that we would succeed if we lived and worked according to God's word. From there, Hobby Lobby has become one of the nation's largest arts and crafts retailers, with more than 500 locations in 41 states. Our children grew up into fine business leaders, and today we run Hobby Lobby together, as a family.

We're Christians, and we run our business on Christian principles. I've always said that the first two goals of our business are (1) to run our business in harmony with God's laws, and (2) to focus on people more than money. And that's what we've tried to do. We close early so our employees can see their families at night. We keep our

stores closed on Sundays, one of the week's biggest shopping days, so that our workers and their families can enjoy a day of rest. We believe that it is by God's grace that Hobby Lobby has endured, and he has blessed us and

our employees. We've not only added jobs in a weak economy, we've raised wages for the past four years in a row. Our full-time employees start at 80% above minimum wage.

But now, our government threatens to change all of that. A new government healthcare mandate says that our family business MUST provide what I believe are abortion-causing drugs as part of our health insurance. Being Christians, we don't pay for drugs that might cause abortions, which means that we don't cover emergency contraception, the morning-after pill or the week-after pill. We believe doing so might end a life after the moment of conception, something that is contrary to our most important beliefs. It goes

against the Biblical principles on which we have run this company since day one. If we refuse to comply, we could face $1.3 million PER DAY in fines.

Our government threatens to fine job creators in a bad economy. Our government threatens to fine a company that's raised wages four years running. Our government threatens to fine a family for running its business according to its beliefs. It's not right. I know people will say we ought to follow the rules; that it's the same for everybody. But that's not true. The government has exempted thousands of

companies from this mandate, for reasons of convenience or cost. But it won't exempt them for reasons of religious belief.

So, Hobby Lobby and my family are forced to make a choice. With great reluctance, we filed a lawsuit today, represented by the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, asking a federal court to stop this mandate before it hurts our business. We don't like to go running into court,

but we no longer have a choice. We believe people are more important than the bottom line and that honoring God is more important than turning a profit.

My family has lived the American dream. We want to continue growing our company and providing great jobs for thousands of employees, but the government is going to make that much more difficult. The government is forcing us to choose between following our faith and following the law. I say that's a choice no American and no American business should have to make. The government cannot force you to

follow laws that go against your fundamental religious belief. They have exempted thousands of companies but will not excempt Christian organizations including the Catholic church.

Since you will not see this covered in any of the liberal media, pass this on to all your contacts.

Sincerely,

David Green, CEO and Founder of Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.

I can't see how this would become anything but a religious/political debate. I know that isn't the intention but there is just no way to talk about this without that happening

Ditto on that.

This has been brought up before and is utterly ridiculous. If the owner wants to do that then whatever for him. He and his family can go f themselves as far as I'm concerned. To hide behind the veil of religious beliefs is a weak stance. As with everything it all boils down to money. The government is expecting his company to shell out more money and he's upset about this. Boo-frickin-hoo.

I never shopped there and never will

rant over

...As with everything it all boils down to money...

rant over

Yeah, that's why they close on Sunday (at times having to pay a penalty fee when they are in shopping centers) and let their employees off on the busiest day of the week. :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, there actually ARE people out there with ethics that run businesses and run them with the convicion of their beliefs. And to say they are "hiding" behind religion is pretty judgmental on your part don't you think?

rant over.

Bill

There is a HobbyLobby right by my house that I shopped at for a long time til I found a great model store in Salt Lake. I will still go by every now and then because they carry the C/A that I love. If they close its whatever. I don't make my purchasing decisions based on the companies political/moral/religious views, unless it were a very extreme case. I am 100% for gay rights yet I eat at chick-fil-a sometimes. If they don't want to sell the goods people want, somebody else will. I try to save my opinions for the ballot box.

Like others, I have opinions on this that are best left unsaid on ARC. Steve works hard to keep ARC free of "hairy" conflicts. I like and respect that. I hope things don't reach to the point he has to pull this topic. The original post was offered as an FYI only.

Rick in Maine

Edited by Rick in Maine

+1 for taking a stand....what the founding fathers wanted us to do. Makes me sick that we have let so many entities own us. Now I am going back outside to work on my Academy F-4, and with my tamiya glue, and preparing to use Mr Surfacer putty.

All jokes aside, we would sell our left testy for a buck.

-Jim

By posting a letter verbatim that is full of politics and religion, there is no place else for this thread to go besides to those topics, regardless of the OP's claim that he doesn't intend this thread to go there. I don't believe one could reasonably expect the responses to be any different.

I try to save my opinions for the ballot box.

As many other have mentioned this could turn into a religious/political discussion which would violate the sites rules and I will not go there. Like zackattack, I let my government know what I think of them via the ballot box and letters to my MP. I will just take the original post by modelerX as just an fyi but he could have just wrote that Hobby Lobby may close due to governmental business practice issues rather than just reposting the owner's letter. I just hope things work out so that Hobby Lobby and it's employees can continue on.

I thought businesses only fled government intervention in other countries....

They also flee from high taxes for countries with sweatshop wages and working conditions and lax regulations and civil liberty laws :lol:. As Britney Spears once sung, "Oops. I did it again.".

Edited by aerofan