MiG-21 bis nose in 48 scale

my 3 sets arrived today!banana.gif(everything seems nice! anyway, it was well packed!)

so i'll be able to build more accurate(withous too much efforts) MiG-21bis for this September upcoming StarFish GB!

and it only takes 10 days(real consecutive days! not only business days...) to come from Bulgaria to Canada! rather fast!

thank you Stanislav! you've done a great job!

Don't recall if I added my thanks and congratulations on a great product! My parcel was misdirected (my fault), but I finally got it. It will make a bis look like a bis!

I had the privilege to spend a good amount of time with Enio Rodriguez who defected to NAS Key West in his MiG-21bis in September of 1993, and have wanted to build a model of his aircraft ever since. Nice guy. Left his wife and 2-year old daughter in order to escape the hell of Cuba in the early 1990s after the Soviet Union collapsed.

Edited by Jennings

I had the privilege to spend a good amount of time with Enio Rodriguez who defected to NAS Key West in his MiG-21bis in September of 1993, and have wanted to build a model of his aircraft ever since. Nice guy. Left his wife and 2-year old daughter in order to escape the hell of Cuba in the early 1990s after the Soviet Union collapsed.

Did they reunite? If so how long after? It seems unimaginable to leave your wife and baby behind no matter what the circumstance is. Do you know more about this story?

Did they reunite? If so how long after? It seems unimaginable to leave your wife and baby behind no matter what the circumstance is. Do you know more about this story?

I don't know any of that. When I met him and spent time he was living in Key West and was active with the Cuban community there, helping refugees who were attempting to flee Cuba by sea (which is what I was involved with at the time). I lost track of him shortly after that (around 1995) and don't know anything after that. I know that by that time his family were still in Cuba, and I doubt the Cuban government would have allowed them to leave. He was the cream of Cuban society as a military officer and fighter pilot. He told us that when he left, the monthly ration for him, his wife, and a two-year old child was six eggs, 1 kg of meat (usually chicken), and 2 litres of milk for the baby (for the month).

I not only obtained a couple of the new noses, I built a kit using one! Although it's designed for the Eduard kit, I had the old Academy kit laying around (with a ton of aftermarket bits--pitot tube, Quickboost scoops, CMK wheel wells, Equipage wheels, KMC cockpit, Brassin bombs/rockets, Wolfpack afterburner, and the fuel tank from an Eduard kit) and decided to see how hard it was to work with before attacking the Eduard kit.

A few moments of panic caused by my own ineptitude, but it worked in the end and makes a pretty remarkable difference in the appearance of the model. The Academy kit is okay for its day, but all their underwing stuff seemed a bit oversized, the wings seem too thick, and incorrectly placed wheel bulge on the fuselage above the wing. The latter had kept me from building the kit for years, but only took about a half-hour to fix using a bit of CA and some sandpaper.

140716-2MiG-21bis951noses_zps365debb7.jpg

140716-1MiG-21bis951RRQ_zps45d41948.jpg

140716-4MiG-21bis951LFQ_zpse748f213.jpg

Edited by mrvark
The Academy kit is okay for its day, but all their underwing stuff seemed a bit oversized, the wings seem too thick, and incorrectly placed wheel bulge on the fuselage above the wing.

IMHO the worst problem that isn't fixable is the canopy. When seen from the top, the canopy should be bubble-shaped with the front of the canopy being widder than the rear. With Academy, there's no bubble, the canopy is cylindrical so there's no pinch between the canopy and the spine there should be for a bis. For an MF (and S, R, M, SM, MF, SM, etc), the spine is too wide.

Thanks for the photos. Neat Afghan bird ! I hope that there'll be a regular Eduard bis vs stenkabged Eduard bis photo sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Just to inform you all that I received my nose replacement from stankabg.

Prompt response from Stanislav, payment via Paypal, shipping... Everything was done within 2 weeks.

New nose came in small box with instructions.

No bubbles, beautifully casted.

Looking forward for Starfish GB!

P1020869.jpg

P1020870.jpg

P1020872.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I not only obtained a couple of the new noses, I built a kit using one!

140716-2MiG-21bis951noses_zps365debb7.jpg

That's WITH the nose correction? Man, that looks nothing like any MiG-21 I've ever seen! Colour's wrong on the nose, too - they were usually green, not black AFAIK.