CD48056 - CAS F-16 Vipers

I've dug out an old copy of Aviation Week & Space Technology - April 17 1989 to be exact. When I saw these green F-16s I knew I would have to build a model some day:) In this issue there is a two-page article; TAC Demonstration Bolsters Support for F-16 in CAS Role illustrated with two photos of the aircraft involved. I can't see any plates on top of the wingroots in these photos, but there is a small plate just behind the canopy hinge level with the sill panel line.

Jens

Hi Kursad-

I'm looking at the sheet instructions and all the ejection triangles are listed as S1. Which are the black only and which are the black/white?

It's pretty cool when the printing is so fine that I can't see if it's white or the light blue paper back. I don't want to accidentally waste a decal by cutting out and using the wrong one.

Thanks!

I'm looking at the sheet instructions and all the ejection triangles are listed as S1. Which are the black only and which are the black/white?

They are all the same and have the white background. I think the only option that had the all-black triangles was the technology demonstrator F-16B later in its career.

Edited by KursadA

I seem to remember seeing some pics of Euro 1 F-16's with grey radomes and RHAW blisters. I thought it was on HABU's site. I can't seem to find any pics now, so I'm hoping someone can verify this. Anybody?

Sincerely,

Dave

I found one with a gray Radome but black blisters on F-16.net it's 75-0752. If you can't find it that way try doing a Google image search of cas f-16

Edited by achterkirch

What was the color of the drop tanks on these Vipers?

The web archive of my old website has several photos showing the 'green' drop tanks, however some of the formatting is FUBAR'd in the archiving process. The left frame in the above link contains thumbnails but you must scroll over in the left frame to see (and click on) them. My original site didn't do that.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to link to images in the web archive so you have to go there to see them.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this sheet because I think a F-16 looks really cool in the lizard scheme. I knew I had an F-16 in the stash, so I bought the sheet. I got my F-16 out of the stash, and it is a Hasegawa F-16CJ block 50. There is an option on this sheet for a f-16c block 25 .. is there a huge noticeable difference between the two?

And as always thanks for getting the sheets I ordered to me so quickly Kursad!

Edited by Kurt H.

Hi Kurt,

I'm at my day job now, but will put together a summary of differences as soon as I get home after work - I believe the Hasegawa kit has all the parts you will need for a Block 25 (MCID intake and PW nozzle), but there may be a few minor differences.

The green color shoud be FS34079 (Dark green). You could possibly also use FS34102 Medium green, Your Choice.

The Block 50 from Hasegawa has all part necessary for a Block 25. For instructions and what parts to use/not use - see these instructions:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10043481

Ordinance as per instructions in Your Block 50 kit :)

Based on the photos that I have seen I'm pretty sure the tank colors are F.S.34102 Medium green. F.S.34092 has a much greener appearance to it and the tanks are more the olive toned medium green. The pics on Habu2's site show some good examples of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Falcon eye was not installed on the CAS Vipers. This was test fitted to one of the pre-Production dual seat Vipers only as far as I know.

Pave penny I am not aware of any kit or aftermarket - sorry!

Falcon eye was not installed on the CAS Vipers. This was test fitted to one of the pre-Production dual seat Vipers only as far as I know.

Falcon Eye was installed only on 75-0752 and only during the CAS trials.

Pave penny I am not aware of any kit or aftermarket - sorry!

Same pod as was on the A-10. You'll have to scratch-build the mounting pylon though.

2252270372_e75041a790.jpg

Found this image of Pave Penny mount for Israeli F-16s

pdlpavepennyf16.jpg

Edited by habu2
  • 1 year later...

Heads up for those doing these..

the top/bottom profiles provided are ONLY for option 1 on the sheet. For the other options, you will need to (generally) reverse the application of the two greens and some minor tweaks to the pattern.

Also, for the Pave Penny, use a standard HTS pod, cut off the nose (HTS has slightly pointed, solid nose), and replace with a clear dome.

Hope this helps!

Andy