Terrorist Attack Thwarted by American "off-duty" Troops!&#

I just read that a gunman targeted a train heading to Paris with a type of AK-47 rifle, but two US Marines, an airman, and a guardsman tackled him, took the rifle away and thwarted another lone-wolf attack in France. I think what they did is remarkable because they knew they would die if nobody took charge. In the end nobody died though some suffered cuts from a box-cutter. Afterward, they performed first aid on someone who had their throat cut in the scuffle. This is just total professionalism.

I am humbled and amazed. Knowing the true impact these great men made is hard because it's like counting lives that weren't lost, but there are no doubts that their proportional intervention will forever be a thumbnail in the eye of ISIS or al Qaeda.

Edited by Exhausted

I read the same account on CNN but I'm watching this source: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2015/08/21/us-airman-wounded-when-troops-reportedly-subdue-gunman/32148689/

"An airman was wounded by a gunman on a train from Amsterdam to Paris on Friday, according to an internal Pentagon report obtained by Military Times.

Three other service members were involved in the incident: two Marines and one service member whose branch was unknown at press time, the report says."

Movie trailer in five, four, three, two, one....

Nah... they weren't off-duty SEAL's. If they were, as soon as they washed up, they would be making calls to their agents.

That being said, the trailer is already out. Enjoy (but just note it's definitely NC17)

Kudo's to the guys who stopped this (and it bears noting that from what I've read, the first person to try to disarm this dirtbag was a French civilian). If they didn't have the 'nads to take action, it would have been a blood bath.

We got lucky yesterday. These are soft targets and there will undoubtedly be more attacks where luck isn't on our side.

Edited by 11bee

Incredibly brave guys who saved a lot of innocent lives, well done gents! :thumbsup:

Movie trailer in five, four, three, two, one....

And I hope the men involved get a big, fat royalty cheque, particularly the off-duty airman who was seriously injured.

"An airman was wounded by a gunman on a train from Amsterdam to Paris on Friday, according to an internal Pentagon report obtained by Military Times.

Three other service members were involved in the incident: two Marines and one service member whose branch was unknown at press time, the report says."

That's from earlier, incorrect reporting. The involved individuals who helped subdue the assailant were one USAF airman, one Oregon National Guardsman, a civilian physical therapist from California, and a British National. No US Marines were involved.

Quick thinking, selfless actions by these young men. No doubt at all there.

One of them is actually serving in the Azores (Lages Field).

Not sure if the US military really should be letting these guys get their names / faces / assignment information out in the press.

There is a reason that the Israeli's stay away from stuff like this.

We're not the Israelis. Our government model has not contained 4.5 million people into walled ghettos with a 50% male unemployment rate. We really don't have to worry about the same thing with our heroes.

Their names are out and I'll be buying rounds for them if I ever see them around!

We're not the Israelis. Our government model has not contained 4.5 million people into walled ghettos with a 50% male unemployment rate. We really don't have to worry about the same thing with our heroes.

No idea why you had to post this Oscar, no idea.

Their names are out and I'll be buying rounds for them if I ever see them around!

While I don't necessarily disagree with your post, it's really not relevant. The world is changing and we are facing a new type of threat. ISIS has been publishing the names of service members (and their families) as well as their home addresses on social media. We do have to worry about our heroes, there are plenty of domestic wackjobs out there that would love to target these guys (as we have seen recently down in TN) or even their wives and kids. With the info released so far, I'm sure I could find their home addresses without much work.

I just don't think it's in anyone's best interest to make this info public.

No idea why you had to post this Oscar, no idea.

Probably not for the reason you think, my statement should be read literally and not taken to have an ulterior motive. The implication of 11Bee's post was that when Israeli soldiers carry out a successful mission they have to protect the identity of those soldiers because they see action mostly within their own borders, and in the same places. Security is high because the threat, which is there for whatever reason, has expressed the desire to literally hop over fences to kidnap or harm these soldiers. Keep in mind that an Israeli soldier is about as close to their homes and the areas they 'operate' in. There are 4.5 people segregated off from mainstream Israeli society and nearly a quarter of the adult males are unemployed. They blame the Israelis for their poverty and participate in clashes with the IDF seemingly frequently.

My point is that the Americans have a much different situation and little reason to hide their faces and identities after their heroic feats. In fact, it's a patriotic duty to recognize them and use the opportunity to demonstrate our resolve. I wasn't trying to be a smart fool, but when offered a comparison with the situation in Israel I shouldn't have to hold back about some of the differences.

EDIT: I just wanted to note that I really didn't think that using the numbers to demonstrate why the IDF is constantly engaged was hitting below the belt. We should all know that very high unemployment among young males has never been cited for creating something positive (does the train attacker fit this profile?). In Israel's case with the Palestinians it creates a sporadic supply of terror that comes in bouts as various groups compete for their share of support within the 'walls.' When one side is winning other groups use terror as a means of spoiling talks and most of the volunteers come from the pool of young unemployed males. I do apologize if it seems I was attacking anyone's heritage or religion here, I promise I'm not.

Edited by Exhausted

While I don't necessarily disagree with your post, it's really not relevant. The world is changing and we are facing a new type of threat. ISIS has been publishing the names of service members (and their families) as well as their home addresses on social media. We do have to worry about our heroes,

Ok sorry if I my post seems OT... After spending the summer examining suicide terrorism it was natural to state the obvious once you mentioned the steps the Israelis take. I'm not even making a value judgement with my statement, I'm really saying that the scope of their problem is much larger than ours when adjusted for direct comparison based on population size, geographical size and frequency of attacks.

The world is changing and we are facing a new type of threat. ISIS has been publishing the names of service members (and their families) as well as their home addresses on social media. We do have to worry about our heroes

I respectfully disagree. We are in a very armed society and this should be cause for more Americans to practice shooting and investing in security devices. The military should help pay this cost for soldiers who's names were published by ISIS. I'm not the kind of guy who necessarily goes out looking for fights, but I'd do everything in my power to react to a nearby terrorist. How many can they send? Even if they recruit some jerks from around here to carry out a hit, I don't believe it would be as successful as we fear. For the first time I think we're catching on about not reacting to terrorism with fear. If you're already going to die, why not chance living?

The Frenchman first tackled the terrorist who managed to get away, a second man (a French-American named Mark Moogalian) jumped in, managed to wrestle the AK-47 away from the terrorist and ran away with it.

The terrorist then shot that second guy with his pistol and managed to get his AK-47 back.

That's when the 3 young Americans and a British gentleman jumped the guy and managed to neutralize him.

Then Spencer Stone, himself wounded saved the life of the guy who had been shot by putting his finger in the wound for quite a while until the train pulled in the station and medics arrived.

Truly heroic stuff.