Group Buiild Proposal

Recce Birds Rule  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested?

• yes
    • no

I would like to propose a group build for reconnaissance machines. Julian (UK) and I moderated one back in 2011 and it seemed to go fairly well with about half of the entries being completed.

NAME: Recce Group Build, Part Deux

Dates: March 1 though Sept 1, 2016

Description: This GB would be open to any machine that managed to get airborne with the intention of collecting intelligence information. This would include visual, photo, SIGINT, COMINT or ELINT. Anything from a hot air balloon with a guy with binoculars to the most modern manned jets and drones. Any country, any time frame, any scale, even What If's. Beginning with an unstarted kit would be nice, but I would agree to anything up to 75% already completed. Maybe this would get a few of those "shelf queens" back in action. I would volunteer to be one of the mods, but would appreciate someone to help. I know that this is short notice, but there are currently only 2 GB's scheduled for a March start, so why wait? If we cannot get this going by March 1, then I would like to propose July 1.

Darwin, aka yardbird 78

Edited by yardbird78

I'd be interested in participating with a 1/72 RA-5C or possibly a EKA-3B if the platform is acceptable.

Either March or July would work. March is right around the corner so we'll have to see if everything falls in to place.

I'd be interested in participating with a 1/72 RA-5C or possibly a EKA-3B if the platform is acceptable.

The EKA-3B's primary functions were refueling and electronic jamming, but I would guess that it also had the capability to record any electronic emissions that it picked up. The EA-6B Prowler and EA-18G are primarily jammers, but they can also record. If that is the case with the EKA-3, then she would be good to go.

Darwin

The EKA-3B's primary functions were refueling and electronic jamming, but I would guess that it also had the capability to record any electronic emissions that it picked up. The EA-6B Prowler and EA-18G are primarily jammers, but they can also record. If that is the case with the EKA-3, then she would be good to go.

Darwin

I dug out my Osprey book and as you wrote the EKA's were primarily Tankers and Jammers.

According to the book-

The EA-3B performed electronic reconnaissance against enemy communications and radar, carrying no active jamming gear. These airframes were not converted bombers, they were delivered from the factory with significantly different airframes which included pressurized crew compartments, an APU, modifications to the canopy framing and crew access openings, etc.

Anyway, there are a few other options in the stash for this group build. No big deal.

Thanks for the consideration,

Jim S

This is a quote from Aviation Enthusiast Corner. "The Pictures of The two EKA3B's Are not from the USS America, or the USS Oriskiny. The pictures were taken on the USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31). I flew ELINT missions, TAD to ELINT-7, for three Deployments, on the planes pictured. The squadron VAW-13, DET.-31, was out of NAS Alameda. Great pictures brings back memories, thank you." That sounds to me like ELINT was part of the mission, so this airframe qualifies as a recce bird.

Darwin

recce is always a good topic and I would to join the GB, but march 1 is too early as I am still busy with HAF GB and "far east, far out" will start soon. Moreover in summertime i have to be busy with job and outdoor activities...

That sounds to me like ELINT was part of the mission, so this airframe qualifies as a recce bird.

Well thanks for digging in to it a little deeper.

In the end I was hoping for an off the shelf (OOB) application for one of the two EKA's I have.

Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the group build with the "Mighty Whale"!

I think I feel a 1/72nd scale Illinois ANG F-16C with TARS Pod on the horizon, as I think my 3 x Esci/Hasegawa 1/72nd RF-4Cs are too far along to qualify. They have the fuselages together but aren't at the "fit the canopy and paint stage". They have some more bodywork to complete before I can go past this point. :woot.gif:

Cheers

Phil Hastie

Canberra, the Nation's Capital

Australia

I think I feel a 1/72nd scale Illinois ANG F-16C with TARS Pod on the horizon,

Is the F-16 from Peoria or Springfield, Illinois? I grew up a few miles east of the Peoria airport and can remember them flying P-51's and F-84's. That build would be of personal interest to me.

Darwin