A few odds and ends from Viet Nam.  Of interest is the birds all have Mk H7-AF seats in them.  As the TO AFC307 modifying the F-4 with Mk-H7 seats was in April 66, so the shots are likely in late 1966, to 1967.   Likely as not the AC in combat would get the mods as early as possible.  The shots were taken by Lee Croissant, a cargo pilot I met when I came to the Denver area.

65-0800 is interesting as it has a Road Runner on the nose, 8TH TFW, WO 6-7-72.  F-4E 67-0373 was transferred to Egypt.  F-4D 66-7554 is presently at Wright Patt.

RF-4C's 65-0820 WO 11.12.68, 823 to Spain, 825 WO 24.11.72

And the final shot is a Spook UH-1H.

F-4E-36-MC_67-0373-Thailand_trans_Egypt_9-79_as7808_LeeCroissant_SMjpg.jpg

F-4D_65-0800_8thTFW_VN_Road-Runner_LeeCroissant.jpg

F-4D_66-7554_VN__preserved_WrightPatt_LeeCroissant_Sm.jpg

RF-4C_Ramp_Ubon_1968_LeeCroissant.jpg

UH-1H_Air_America_Thailand_Sm.png

Edited by BWDenver
added info

Wow!  I was hoping to find a color photo of the Roadrunner artwork.  Just recently I received a couple b&w photos showing a closeup of the bird.  Nice to see the whole plane.

roadrunner1.jpg

roadrunner2.jpg

I have no idea who the personnel are. 

Rick L.

While I cannot sit here and say I would not like some new Phantom decal sheets because I will certainly buy them, I would like to ask that several decal sets which have been in the cue for a long time be completed first. Ones that come to mind would be like the following:

CD 48095: F-4E Phantoms over Anatolia

CD 48114: A-37 Dragonfly / T-37 Tweet

CD 48129: UH-1 "Huey" in Vietnam

CD 48159: Air National Guard F-84F

CD 48188: Air National Guard P-47

CD 48195: PACAF F-16C/D Vipers

CD 48220: B-57 Canberra in Vietnam

CD 48222: OV-10D Bronco

CD 48224: S-3A Viking

12 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

While I cannot sit here and say I would not like some new Phantom decal sheets because I will certainly buy them, I would like to ask that several decal sets which have been in the cue for a long time be completed first. Ones that come to mind would be like the following:

the Guard F-84F and F-47 sheets, as well as anything B-57 would be fantastic in my opinion.  Actually any sheet in the above line up is awesome!

10 hours ago, BWDenver said:

UH-1H_Air_America_Thailand_Sm.png

How about an Air America sheet covering several types of fixed/rotary wings and scales?

Pilatus AU-23

Bell 205

Beech C-45

Fairchild C-123

Curtiss C-46

Douglas C-47

Helo Courier

Sirkorsky UH-34

DHC Twin Otter

Lockheed C-130

Edited by The Arrowhead
12 hours ago, Whiskey said:

These are all in the production queue in various stages: some have been stalled because of a research gap (UH-1, P-47) or I have to work on the layout (B-57, OV-10D etc.). But I plan to release at least half of this list in 2024.

With the upcoming 1/72 Tall Tail B-52 sheet has there been any thoughts about artwork for NB-52B "Balls 8"?  Cutting Edge did a sheet years ago but nearly impossible to find now. The last releases of Monogram/Revell 's kit the artwork is only for the earlier X-15 flights.  Would love to see some mission markings for later flights too.

2 hours ago, KursadA said:

These are all in the production queue in various stages: some have been stalled because of a research gap (UH-1, P-47) or I have to work on the layout (B-57, OV-10D etc.). But I plan to release at least half of this list in 2024.

Is there anything specific for the P-47 that you are looking for?

My F-4E suggestions:

FF  1st TFW
SJ  4th TFW
EG, ED  33rd TFW
MY 347th TFW

With the various paint schemes seen from the 1970s to the 1990s, these four wings alone could contribute to two or three sheets at least.

14 hours ago, The Arrowhead said:

How about an Air America sheet covering several types of fixed/rotary wings and scales?

Pilatus AU-23

Bell 205

Beech C-45

Fairchild C-123

Curtiss C-46

Douglas C-47

Helo Courier

Sirkorsky UH-34

DHC Twin Otter

Lockheed C-130

Can't help with some of those.  But I do have a shot of the PC-6C.  The bigger birds just had numbers and occasionally "Air America" on it.   The UH-34's were white, with large black lettering.  The 34's in Loas were greed with white tail ID's.  One being H-D, H-12, H-15, H-22, H-37, H-40.  I've seen a shot of H-40 with a DHC-2 fuselage strapped to it's side.

And finally, some Air America T-28D's at UBON RTAFB, probably around 1971/1972

In the mid 70's I saw an add in Trade-A-Plane for the air America airframes.  FOB Thailand...

Some other pages on the Air America birds:  The Aircraft of Air America - Library | The University of Texas at Dallas (utdallas.edu)

PC-6C_N358F_Sm.jpg

Air_America_T-28D_0-38229_Ubon_Sm.jpg

Air_America_T-28D_0-91564_NKP_AC-130_LT_Ubon_Sm.jpg

Air_America_T-28D_0-91702_EB-66E_54-0537_Ubon_Sm..jpg

And with regards to T-28's.  This is a shot of the No 2 T-28D converted (51-3684) by PacAero to the T-28D-5 NA-260 NOMAD.  Called the Blue Bird.   It was kept by PacAero as a demonstrator until Ray bought it.

The No 1 AC was the Black Bird, lost in Viet Nam.

The Blue Bird was purchased by Ray Karrles, who dealt in surplus AC, and leased to Bell Aircraft as a chase plane.  When Bell was done with it Ray got it back, but kept the Bell paint scheme.  The N Numbers are black with dark red shadowing.  Ray had a camera mounted in the left wing, and would use it for shooting his construction jobs..

In 1972 Ray had a speed brake installed, and was demoing it to his mechanic around July 1972 when he was doing a "Carrier landing" with the bird.  He forgot one somewhat important step, the gear. 

I watched him belly it in.  The prop came off the front of the engine, and was just about to wipe out the cockpit when the bird slewed left and the prop walked down the right wing.  It was never reported to the FAA my knowledge.

In one of Ray's more notable deals, he sold Canadian Vampires to Cuba.  Staying one step ahead of the feds all the way. 

When they wrecked a T-28 at Pensacola, ray would get a phone call and would purchase the wreck for parts.  In late 1971 two fuselages showed up. 

The T-28A is an Ex Ill ANG bird, still with the ANG logo on the tail.

I know I'm likely one of the only folks that would buy a decal sheet for the Blue Bird, but I can hope...

RayKarrles_T-28D_BlueBird_Jul_71_Ray_karrls_OZAUKEE_a_year_before_crash.jpg

T-28A_Ray_Karrels_1971_Sm.jpg

Edited by BWDenver
On 2/13/2024 at 10:42 AM, Dutch said:

While he isn't an Ace, I've got Capt Ehrhart's Harrier drawn.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:44 PM, Paul Boyer said:

The thing I question is wouldn't the gun be a better solution? A lot less expensive than a million (?) dollar missile against an non-maneuvering, simple flying bomb. I dunno. 

231 is flying the gun pack. It's been strakes and centerline LITENING for almost the entire Det so far. 

On 2/15/2024 at 10:55 PM, Dutch said:

Well belay my last.  Apparently, the AviationGeekClub was posting supposition using photos from the US Govt DVIDS website.  Not sure why, maybe to boost viewership. Though the USMC has not made any comments yet, I doubt they will as they do not have the bandwidth to go after every false USMC claim.  Besides, it may have some detrimental effect on Houti morale in Yemen.

Yeah, I've been in direct contact with three Marines aboard the Bataan (all with 231), and they're all saying the kills didn't happen. 

4 hours ago, BWDenver said:

In the mid 70's I saw an add in Trade-A-Plane for the air America airframes.  FOB Thailand...

at some point in the last couple years I parked next to a guy in a Volpar Beech 18 on the customs ramp in Ft Lauderdale.  I walked over to talk to him and he mentioned that it was a former Air America bird.  Must be another one of those Trade A Plane finds!  

Edited by Corey

@KursadA,

I was just thinking. You've done some beautiful "Basics" sheets for individual aircraft types, including the USAF Command badges in full color, subdued and stencils (SAC, TAC, & ACC).  [BTW, Still waiting for a MATS, MAC, AMC sheet. Hint.]  Anyway, would you consider doing a sheet of Wing badges, z.B. Bomb, Tactical / Fighter, Recon, & Transport / Airlift wings in full color, subdued and stencil?  I think it would complement the Command badge sheets perfectly.  The Fighter & Recon badges could be sized for 1/48 & 1/72, while the bomber and transport badges could be sized for 1/72 & 1/144 based on the preponderance of kits in those scales.  What do you think?

Kind regards,

Dutch

13 hours ago, Corey said:

at some point in the last couple years I parked next to a guy in a Volpar Beech 18 on the customs ramp in Ft Lauderdale.  I walked over to talk to him and he mentioned that it was a former Air America bird.  Must be another one of those Trade A Plane finds!  

In 1963 I went out to Aberdeen SD with my dad to go pheasant hunting.  One of his friends gave a 20 Pump.  Thought my dad was going to faint, while I grew up around guns, he didn't think a 10 YO should have one.  In any event, I made the trip back to the Chicago area in a Beech 18.  I've always had soft spot in my heart for "Twin Beeches."

Attached is the bird I want to do.  Likely the most colorful Air America bird that ever flew... 

In another life it was a C-45G.

Still have the 20 pump...

Beech 22 N5269V_1.jpg

Edited by BWDenver
On 2/29/2024 at 6:42 PM, Dave Roof said:

While he isn't an Ace, I've got Capt Ehrhart's Harrier drawn.

231 is flying the gun pack. It's been strakes and centerline LITENING for almost the entire Det so far. 

Yeah, I've been in direct contact with three Marines aboard the Bataan (all with 231), and they're all saying the kills didn't happen. 

Great, guess wait for the release of this sheet.

Available by Nats?

22 hours ago, BWDenver said:

In 1963 I went out to Aberdeen SD with my dad to go pheasant hunting.  One of his friends gave a 20 Pump.  Thought my dad was going to faint, while I grew up around guns, he didn't think a 10 YO should have one.  In any event, I made the trip back to the Chicago area in a Beech 18.  I've always had soft spot in my heart for "Twin Beeches."

Attached is the bird I want to do.  Likely the most colorful Air America bird that ever flew... 

In another life it was a C-45G.

Still have the 20 pump...

Beech 22 N5269V_1.jpg

This would be fabulous. 

Rick L. 

On 3/1/2024 at 10:23 AM, Dutch said:

Actually, I would prefer to see the "F4H / F-110A Phantom II Early Years" sheet.

I second and third that! In 1/72 as well.

1 hour ago, hemspilot said:

I second and third that! In 1/72 as well.

Until someone releases a kit or a conversion for the F4H-1/F-110 that would be a very small market.  

I have the Cutting Edge kit, and that came with all kinds of markings....

Until someone releases a kit or a conversion for the F4H-1/F-110 that would be a very small market.  

F-110 was but an F-4B with Air Force pylons and small other differences., matter of fact Hasegawa released a box already.

6 hours ago, BWDenver said:

I would not know where to find a decent FSD or prototype F-16 kit, but that sheet did rather well.

My F4H-1 conversion set came without any markings.