ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Solo

Su-27 Kitty Hawk 1:48

Is it possible that this kit is new tooling? According to ScaleMates it is "new parts" added to Su-35 kits.

But Su-35 has got complete changed hull and wings, cockpit, engines, ect...

Su-35S and Su-27 share very little in common beyond OML. I doubt ScaleMates has any actual insight into design of this kit and it is far more likely it was just someone who thought Su-35S is just a variant of Su-27 and that is that. Unless KH plans to screw it up spectacularly, this kit would need to be completely new tool.

Scalemates is basically like Wikipedia in which anyone can make changes or add a new kit, so it is likely whomever added that to Scalemates didn't realize the vast differences.  The other issue is in the Scalemates category grouping, the Su-35 falls under the Su-27 category, there is no category for Su-35.  That is why they are shown on the same timeline (however I did de-link them). 

There are separate categories for the Su-33 and Su-34, so I think one for the Su-35 may also be needed.  Not sure how to get another aircraft category added.  There are different levels of contributors, and I am only a level 2.  Higher levels may be able to add one, or it may need to be the owner of the site, Tim.

Anyway, I am excited about this.  Their Flanker releases recently have been pretty decent.  Will be interesting to see how it compares to the HB.

4 hours ago, Solo said:

I hope Great Wall Hobby once again will follow Kitty Hawk...

That would be great. I have the Hobby Boss kit, but I am told there are issues with it.

8 hours ago, HomeBe said:

And the Flanker in the box art is not a Su27 but a Su-27SM... 😜

https://russianplanes.net/id198962

https://russianplanes.net/regs/RF-95255

7550d3f3d7.jpg

V.P.

The flight lead in the box art has the ECM antennas on the intake corners that were deleted on the SM, so maybe it's just the same jet pre-modernization? Remember, a lot of the Su-27SM jets are rebuilds, not new manufacture. 

10 hours ago, SebastianP said:

The flight lead in the box art has the ECM antennas on the intake corners that were deleted on the SM, so maybe it's just the same jet pre-modernization? Remember, a lot of the Su-27SM jets are rebuilds, not new manufacture. 

Pre Modernization 74 had a different bort number and scheme. It is hard to tell due to resolution but it seems to me the IRST is centered and i dont see RWR's on slats. So to me it seems the artist just saw some pictures of Su-27SM's and used them as a template for scheme/colors but the frame remained to be vanilla Su-27.

2 hours ago, Berkut said:

So to me it seems the artist just saw some pictures of Su-27SM's and used them as a template for scheme/colors but the frame remained to be vanilla Su-27.

Well if the artist is the same who does design kit decals... remember the Bulgarian Yak-130 markings...

22 hours ago, HomeBe said:

And the Flanker in the box art is not a Su27 but a Su-27SM... 😜

https://russianplanes.net/id198962

https://russianplanes.net/regs/RF-95255

7550d3f3d7.jpg

V.P.

The IRST on the box art is still centered, not offside to the right. So, the markings may look like the above sample, but the airframe doesn't look like it.

Berkut beat me to it. I suppose I should read the entire thread before posting eh?

Edited by Mr Matt Foley

On 12/1/2018 at 9:27 AM, HomeBe said:

7550d3f3d7.jpg

Only one engine in burner ???

Just now, habu2 said:

Only one engine in burner ???

No. This is how the afterburner worked. Second nozzle is semi closed.