Caracal Decals models gallery

• 2 weeks later...

Finished today, Zvezda’s C-130E Hercules in SEA camo. The Zvezda kit is really stellar compared with the old Italeri kit. It has a LOT of interior detail that you won’t likely see unless you look straight into the opened cargo ramp. Since I wanted this model to be closed up, interior detail would never be seen. So I saved a LOT of time by not installing any interior behind the cockpit bulkhead. 

The kit comes with a lot of alternate parts. Nominally a C-130H, there are parts that will represent earlier variants such as a stock C-130E from the Vietnam War - early short sponsons, simple clear windows with no ECM stuff - just dirt simple. I painted the model with Mr. Color lacquers and used the Advanced Model Products pre-cut vinyl “Aero Masks” for the camo pattern. For the scalloped bottom color demarcation line, I used a craft scissors (probably for scrapbookers). The markings come from Caracal sheet 72-117. Antenna lines are EZ Line. No. 22 for the year.

DSCN0111.JPG

DSCN0113.JPG

Here's the third A-10 I've done from the new Caracal sheet. This one is the ESCI kit. I wimped out and left the wing fillets and 30mm gun on, as I found pictures of the YA-10 retrofitted with them. I scratchbuilt the front landing gear using pieces from a Monogram F-105, which also donated the seat. I scratched the test boom and changed the shape of the leading edge of the tails.

YA-10

7 hours ago, Electra II said:

So does the "PB" tailcode stand for someone in particular??🤪

Every tailcode list I have doesn't show 'PB' including a Vietnam era list. Yet....This tail number seems to be 70-1275, a C-130E from Pope AFB, 317th TAW. It's shown at AMARC as of 2008. Looks like the tail number is actually the aircraft shown on a search for Pope AFB. 

20 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Finished today, Zvezda’s C-130E Hercules in SEA camo. The Zvezda kit is really stellar compared with the old Italeri kit. It has a LOT of interior detail that you won’t likely see unless you look straight into the opened cargo ramp. Since I wanted this model to be closed up, interior detail would never be seen. So I saved a LOT of time by not installing any interior behind the cockpit bulkhead. 

The kit comes with a lot of alternate parts. Nominally a C-130H, there are parts that will represent earlier variants such as a stock C-130E from the Vietnam War - early short sponsons, simple clear windows with no ECM stuff - just dirt simple. I painted the model with Mr. Color lacquers and used the Advanced Model Products pre-cut vinyl “Aero Masks” for the camo pattern. For the scalloped bottom color demarcation line, I used a craft scissors (probably for scrapbookers). The markings come from Caracal sheet 72-117. Antenna lines are EZ Line. No. 22 for the year.

DSCN0111.JPG

DSCN0113.JPG

Very nice,

My next 130 (if I ever finish the current build) will be a Zvezda.  I assume the instruction sheet is clear on H or E parts?

• 1 month later...

This is the original tooling of the Airfix C-130 kit. I have built it as a USAF HC-130N CSAR aircraft. I added consoles and cabinets to the cockpit, Tasman Models AN/ARD-17 Aerial Tracker Radome, inflight refuelling Hose Reel units from Flightpath and propellers from an Italeri C-130 kit. I also added the observer windows in the main cabin, the recovery system rails and flare chutes on the upper ramp door and various antennas as seen on the aircraft. The HF antenna wires are Eziline. The decals are from the C-130 Herc sheet by Caracal Models and walkway outline decals from an Italeri AC-130 kit.

72_HC-130N_USAF_85

72_HC-130N_USAF_79 72_HC-130N_USAF_75

• 2 weeks later...