Zoukei Mura 1/48 F-4E "Late" Announced

While shopping around the usual model shops in Akihabara I stopped by Volks to grab some parts for a 1/700 ship project I was working on. They gave me a flyer that was mostly about anime and sci-fi modelling, but I did notice some news on Zoukei Mura's aircraft models. Most of it was on the reissue of the Shinden, just in time for the new Godzilla -1.0 movie. I did notice something buried at the bottom: They're going to release the slatted-wing F-4E in Spring 2024. Reservations start on February 23.

Good to see they're still going forward with the Phantoms! It's been a while since they released the F-4G. They did say they will do all the long-nosed Phantoms so that just leaves the German F-4F's. Plus they do have the Recon Phantoms for the future.

2023_12_09 14_01 Office Lens.jpg

Leaves the question how late ‘ late’ is. In other words: belly strap or not (apart from cockpit differences). I would like them to do the kit with strap or even better: have both options in the kit (might be slightly incorrect for either). More choice is always better. In the mean time I am going to enjoy my next kit on the bench: the Meng F-4E of the very late variety.

Here's a picture with the machine translation. Spring 2024, so maybe April given the late February pre-order date?

url%5D,%20on%20Flickr

All total speculation of course, but the test shot doesn't have the TISEO pod and has a RWR 'football' on the fin cap. That would at least suggest a retrofitted jet with the belly strap. It is possible that the kit could come with a separate new frame with the thicker skin lower wing and TISEO as well as the existing Frame H from the F-4G. Z-M will need to tool the thicker skin wing anyway since they'll be doing an F-4F to finish off the gun nose variants. After the 'late' F-4E Z-M have mentioned they'll release a F-4F, F-4F(ICE), a standard F-4EJ and, maybe, a RF-4EJ.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll  probably see the RF-4s for a few years yet. I think the shortest interval between releases was something like 6-9 months between the F-4C and F-4D. Based on that and the picture panel presented at the 2023 US Nationals mentioned in the Caracal RF-4C thread, my guess for the camera nose variants appearing is not until late 2026 at the earliest; probably beginning with a JASDF RF-4E. It'll be interesting to see how they tackle the nose profiles - I wouldn't be surpirised if they do separate fuselages for the chisel and curved noses! Here the post:

On 8/19/2023 at 3:49 PM, Mike J. Idacavage said:

Building a model from this and hopefully a follow-up sheet on the RF-4Cs used in Desert Storm will become much easier with the announced RF-4 series from Zoukei-Mura next year. I talked with some of the ZM staff at the recent IPMS Nats in San Marcos and was told that work is now underway in the development of these kits. Here's the official announcement that they had on their stand.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

IMG_8932 (Large).jpg

23 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Of course they did! I just bought the “early” kit and Hypersonic’s slat conversion a couple of weeks ago. You’re welcome!😄

Ben

Don't feel too bad Ben, I have the same combination. Looking at the slat set up in the Z-M F-4G I think fitting the Hypersonic parts to the hard wing for a typical closed configuration will be a lot less hassle 😄

2 hours ago, Wild Weasel V said:

Don't feel too bad Ben, I have the same combination. Looking at the slat set up in the Z-M F-4G I think fitting the Hypersonic parts to the hard wing for a typical closed configuration will be a lot less hassle 😄

That’s what I’ve been thinking. I have the F-4S and will have to take some extra steps to retract the slats. The Hypersonic F-4E set is plug and play, which I like because I’m lazy. 😄

Ben

On 12/9/2023 at 12:44 PM, Alternative 4 said:

Do we know when the RF-4's are set for release?

All they have said is that they plan on doing them.  It’s taken YEARS for the late E to show up.  They had a 3D printed mockup of it in Phoenix in 2018.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:27 AM, Wild Weasel V said:

. It is possible that the kit could come with a separate new frame with the thicker skin lower wing and TISEO as well as the existing Frame H from the F-4G. Z-M will need to tool the thicker skin wing anyway since they'll be doing an F-4F to finish off the gun nose variants. After the 'late' F-4E Z-M have mentioned they'll release a F-4F, F-4F(ICE), a standard F-4EJ and, maybe, a RF-4EJ.

I have crawled around under multiple F-4Es with TISEO (which by definition means they have the thicker skin on the spar box).  You can hook a fingernail on the edge, but from more than about five feet away you can’t see it.  The thicker skin might add 1/16”, if that.

12 hours ago, Illu said:

I have crawled around under multiple F-4Es with TISEO (which by definition means they have the thicker skin on the spar box).  You can hook a fingernail on the edge, but from more than about five feet away you can’t see it.  The thicker skin might add 1/16”, if that.

Which units had the TISEO?

From Joe Baugher’s site:

At block 48 (71-0224), the main wingbox was given thicker lower skins, with the steel reinforcing strap previously required being deleted. A Northrop-designed ASX-1 electro-optical (TISEO) target acquisition and tracking sensor was added in an attachment mounted on the inner left wing leading edge.

Ben

On 12/12/2023 at 8:57 AM, Da SWO said:

Which units had the TISEO?

Virtually every unit that flew F-4Es had them at some point.  I can't think of one that didn't.  

All F-4Es from serial number 71-0237 and higher had TISEO.  The only exceptions were the late block aircraft that went to Turkey, Greece, and South Korea.  They decided they didn't need TISEO, which is why the Ghost Gray F-4Es and the 5000th special didn't have it.  

Edited by Illu
1 hour ago, Illu said:

Virtually every unit that flew F-4Es had them at some point.  I can't think of one that didn't.  

All F-4Es from serial number 71-0237 and higher had TISEO.  The only exceptions were the late block aircraft that went to Turkey, Greece, and South Korea.  They decided they didn't need TISEO, which is why the Ghost Gray F-4Es and the 5000th special didn't have it.  

Thanks, I want to build an E with 57FIS markings, and didn't know if flew TISEO equipped birds.

2 hours ago, Da SWO said:

Thanks, I want to build an E with 57FIS markings, and didn't know if flew TISEO equipped birds.

the 57FIS only flew FY66/67 jets, ie without TISEO. TISEO was only added from FY71 jets as Illu stated

On 12/13/2023 at 12:59 PM, Da SWO said:

Man. I wish we got more F-4Es in ADC Gray. I’ve had it on my list for a while. Hoping someone does some decals sooner rather than later. I have the old Expert’s Choice sheet, but would love to see someone like Speed Hunter or Caracal tackle them.

24 minutes ago, Bangem82 said:

Man. I wish we got more F-4Es in ADC Gray. I’ve had it on my list for a while. Hoping someone does some decals sooner rather than later. I have the old Expert’s Choice sheet, but would love to see someone like Speed Hunter or Caracal tackle them.

FYI, Euro Decals has a sheet for the 57 FIS ADC F-4E's based in Iceland.

Euro Decals 57th FIS F-4's

I have these in 1/72 and they look really nice.

7 hours ago, Bangem82 said:

Man. I wish we got more F-4Es in ADC Gray.

Just about the onlt unit flying the F-4E in ADC gray was the 57FIS, so no wonder they are few.
The 4TFW received one(?) - 67-0224 -  which was transferred fron the 57FIS, which flew for a while in ADC colors and with 335TFS badges and tailband but not the "SJ" tailcode of the 4TFW. Might have been some test birds aswell, but that would be it.
Besides this, from what I've seen it was only F-4C/D's that carried the ADC scheme, usually associated with the air defence mission of these units.  

Edited by Niels
  • 1 month later...

I know I'm way late to be adding to this thread, but once I heard about the ZM F-4G, I figured a late (slatted wing) F-4E wouldn't be too far behind.  I'm only surprised it took this long!

Edited by Curt B

I'll be interested to see if they include the additional cockpit parts needed for the ARN-101 jets. If not, @JeffreyK already has some nice ones in his excellent slat conversion set.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown