Pierre's Phantom F-4E Peace Icarus

Great work! :thumbsup:

Please, can you tell me which mode(s) of Proxxon tools you use? I heard that some of their drills vibrate, I mean that the drill is not stable in the center.

With best regards,

Marko

None of such problems here... I have the Proxxon milling machine (MF70), running smoothly. I also own a drill (IB/E) which is almost too powerfull. Its main disadvantage is the minimum speed at 5,000 rpm, which is often too fast for plastic. But for those delicate jobs I have a no-name 12V drill that I can slow down to a couple of rpm.

HTH,

Pierre

Holy smoke.

Fabulous!

When I was a kid, my Dad built me the Monogram B-52 with real jet noise! There was a slider switch in the fuselage under the wing that turned the sound on and off.

...Wonder if you could do sound and lights.... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the inspiration Pierre. Oh, how is the flying going?

Pig

Thanks for the inspiration Pierre. Oh, how is the flying going?

Pig,

I am reaching now the 35 hours - still a newbie though :D Yesterday I had a 1hour NAV flight, in controlled airspaces, with XPNDR settings (watch your altitude!). I flew the Katana from Lausanne to Grenchen for maintenance: there is a heavy oil leak out of the Rotax engine, and the plane was oily like hell on the under surfaces :P It was a 100NM trip, in several legs, from VOR to VOR, into a busy airspace at Grenchen: I was asked to make a 360 because of traffic, had a Cessna skeaking in at 300ft to my left on an non-standard approach route, then had to go around because of a plane sitting on the runway... I was exhausted when I came back home by train. But it was a great day. :)

Today I will fly a similar NAV flight, solo, on the second Katana.

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Your cockpit is really awesome. It will be beautiful when this mighty Phantom is ready and you will look at it in the dark. I wish i could see this thing in real. ;)

But your good photo's give also a very nice image.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Regards

Henk

Wait wait wait a minute.... I'm still trying to close my mouth! Is that real??!!

Please Pierre, You should stop stealing authentic f-4 pieces for your photos, it's...it's... insane ... :D

Oh man! what a job on that Phantom, there is no doubt you're my hero!!! ;) ;) :worship:

:thumbsup::cheers:

Edited by Juanjo D.
Yesterday I had a 1hour NAV flight,

You mean cross-country, or x-country :thumbsup:

Yes, that's it. Here we call it "vol de navigation", because you prepare a NAV plan, and fly legs with headings and timing. Use of VORs and NDBs is permitted.

I felt stupid a couple of times when I was flying a heading and my instructor asked "What's your position now?". Well, I used to look out and mumble "I am over, hmmm, hmmm... let's see: village here? village there? forest here? forest there?... hmm hmmm"

In fact I didn't know where I was. Like I've heard once "I was temporarly unsure of my position" :worship:

Now I add 2minutes marks to the legs on the map. When I am faced with the daring question, I look at my watch (4 minutes since begin of leg), look at the map, spot the 4 minutes mark (I should be abeam X) and only then I look out toconfirm my position on the ground.

A heck of a learning curve :lol:

Pierre

Going through withdrawals over here from not seeing anymore of those wonderful pictures, that I liken to visual crack. Any updates?

<twitching, shaking and itching until next installment>

must... have... another... hit.... please...

March 15, 2005

Soldering work today: I partially closed the MFDs, polished away the excess of solder and dry-fitted both parts in the cockpit. Note that I also added the artificial horizon dial.

Cheers for now,

Pierre

DSCN9307_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9308_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9309_modifi__.JPG

THis makes me want to quit modeling...I will never be this good....Not even close...

I am so impressed by this Phantom

March 20, 2005

I think I have reached a point where any addition to the rear instrument cockpit looks like a miracle. And there are still 3 instruments to add, and a couple of warning lights :D

Today I closed both MFDs, which was complicated: first I stuck the glass and display panel inside the housings, then I soldered everything closed. Solder = heat, plastic = does'nt like heat. So I had to be carefull.

When everything was ok, I spotted a light leak on one of the MFDs, which I tried to fix with flat black paint. Horror :thumbsup: the paint leaked into the housing, and creeped up the cardboard. My beautiful HSI turned into a black mess...

So I milled the housing open, replaced the HSI display, and replaced it with a black map. I replaced the brass back of the MFD with a piece of styrene, and now I am fed up!

Let's call it a day,

:(

Pierre

DSCN9312_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9314_modifi__.JPG

Horror  the paint leaked into the housing, and creeped up the cardboard. My beautiful HSI turned into a black mess...

You forgot this: :thumbsup: ! :)

Fight on Pierre! You will beat whatever obstacles confront you!

Great work, thanks again for sharing this with us :D ...

:(

At all costs, press on Pierre! Your work rocks!

I've posted about my admiration of your work again, but one miracle seems to follow the other and its hard to restrain myself from typing in awe of your work!!! :wacko:

PS: Is it a PPL Pierre? :cheers:

I've only just seen this thread - WOW. I've often thought about doing something similar, but in 1/72 of course :soapbox:

Pierre, I'm sending one of your amazing cockpit pics to my wife, just to mentally prepare her for where I could end up :thumbsup:

I torture myself scratch-building horrendously small bits (eg gun sights) in 1/48 (occasionally 1/72), but nothing so outstanding or challenging as your project.

Here is some detail I added to my current 1/48 Corsair project - I'd love to have all those great tools you have - I'm basically stuck with pin vice drills, blades and sandpaper, so do most scratching out of styrene, wire & soda cans. I like the idea of printing your instrument panels on computer & adding them though - I suck at painting such detail.