I wasn't completely satisfied with my scratch-built rudder. Although the rib structure is almost like the real thing, I could not get rid of the small glue rims left over by the contact glue I used to assemble both skins. They are specially visible under the Alclad paint, and no way to hide them. I tried various putties, including Mr Surfacer 500 to 1200. Nada, Nuts, Nothing :bandhead2:

So I tried casting an original rudder, which is Ok, but I prefer the self-made rendering, which is more accurate. So I started over..

Here come some shots of my experiments.

Casting...

dscn0545modifi12hk.jpg

All 4 rudders..

dscn0546modifi10ld.jpg

Closer...

dscn0548modifi14uf.jpg

Pierre: Your cast rudder looks very good however . if I may suggest, the hole at the bottom of the rudder implies the hinge point. I've looked at a 1/1 scale Dakota this morning and I've drawn in the correct himge line on the photo. The painted rudder looks very authentic for a aluminum doped surface.

Barney

PS: Hope you have more luck with those tiny electrics than I have...darned wires are away too fine.

... the hole at the bottom of the rudder implies the hinge point...

Thanks Barney for the hinge drawing. The hole is in fact just a randomly drilled plug for a dental pick, so I can hold the part in the paint booth.

Yes, you are right as for the rendition of the fabric covered rudder: I have photographical evidence that it looks exactly like that on a 1/1 model :banana:

Embossing the rib lines. I "greased" the lines with soap to help pulling the tool smoothly across, without danger of "hanging up" on the plastic surface.

DSCN0551_modifi-1.jpg

The finished skins. Note how the embossing deforms the plastic sheet.

DSCN0552_modifi-1.jpg

The core and skins before assembling.

DSCN0557_modifi-1.jpg

Assembled and roughly cleaned up.

DSCN0559_modifi-1.jpg