Revell 1/48 Tornado IDS as a GR.1B

Hi all,

Here is my latest creation, built for a friend who was a navigator with 12 Squadron during the mid 1990s. I've got a draft write up here which I'll change at some point, but as you can see, I was not enamoured with this kit. Additions are Aires seats, Eduard photo-etch interior, Xtraparts resin pylons and Xtradecals main markings and stencils (which have terrible instructions). Paint is Mr Color. The pitot tube was replaced with Albion Alloys tubing and the bombs are from the Airfix Buccaneer kit. Six months of hard work, but here is the end product:

Comments welcome

Jon

tornadogr1b_003.jpg

tornadogr1b_005.jpg

tornadogr1b_008.jpg

tornadogr1b_010.jpg

tornadogr1b_015.jpg

tornadogr1b_022.jpg

tornadogr1b_027.jpg

tornadogr1b_029.jpg

Must agree with the earlier comments, beautiful job there sir!

Been looking at this kit in my LHS for a bit. I didn't realize that the flaps were available to be deployed. Guess that is what you get when you get enamoured with the box art and not the model description.

Jon,

For all the trouble, that really turned out nicely! After reading your build review, I'm not really looking forward to the GR.4 build as much.

You and I both, I feel like selling it now and letting someone else deal with it.

But Jon's build is so inspiring.

Jon,

For all the trouble, that really turned out nicely! After reading your build review, I'm not really looking forward to the GR.4 build as much.

You and I both, I feel like selling it now and letting someone else deal with it.

But Jon's build is so inspiring.

Don't let me put you off! Forewarned is forearmed :)

Would I do it again? No. Am I glad I did it? Very!

Thanks

Jon

It's a real shame this model is turning out to be such a handful, because shape wise it captures the Tornado better than any other ever has

Yes it does, I figure if I take my time I can limit my troubles if I am careful with the assembly.

Yes it does, I figure if I take my time I can limit my troubles if I am careful with the assembly.

This will definitely help. But in all honesty I was far more frustrated by the quality of the moulding than the fit of the parts.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

What a beautiful Tornado and outstanding finish on there!

BTW, I love your website Jon! I just went through and looked at and read every one of your completed builds. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the kits and your struggles and successes you encountered, as well as suggestions. I also really enjoyed seeing your progress as a modeller from the early builds to your recent ones. You can really see improvement with each and every one!