In addition to looking at the ZM Phantom I got a real good look at the new Tamiya Tomcat. I will say this. ALL the photos I've seen of it online cannot show just how exquisite the molding of this kit is. I was kind of lukewarm to the kit from what photos I saw online. However, seeing the kit in person I have to say it is very nice. Yes, it doesn't have all the dangly stuff but it is extremely well done. If you want all that dangly stuff then wait for the AMK kit but don't count this kit out. It is Tamiya after all and their quality is in every inch of it.

gtypecanare was kind enough to drop off a couple of sprues for me to look at while sitting at my table vending. The exterior detail is exquisite on this model. The upper leading edge intake issue that I was concerned with is very limited, to the point that you have to look closely at it. Again, if you even notice it, some upward pressure applied to the upper leading edge intake and it's perfect. Super detailers will probably replace the cockpit and/or wheel bays, but they should be fine for everybody else. Being extremely passionate about the Tomcat, and succumbing to extreme critiquing which I usually try to avoid, the side instrument panels are somewhat inaccurate in regards to the switch and button placement. Only someone who really knows the Tomcat will really notice. It looks to be like an easy, pleasant build of a difficult kit. Tamiya nailed it. I'd give it a 9/10.

Edited by Darren Roberts

gtypecanare was kind enough to drop off a couple of sprues for me to look at while sitting at my table vending. The exterior detail is exquisite on this model. The upper leading edge intake issue that I was concerned with is very limited, to the point that you have to look closely at it. Again, if you even notice it, some upward pressure applied to the upper leading edge intake and it's perfect. Super detailers will probably replace the cockpit and/or wheel bays, but they should be fine for everybody else. Being extremely passionate about the Tomcat, and succumbing to extreme critiquing which I usually try to avoid, the side instrument panels are somewhat inaccurate in regards to the switch and button placement. Only someone who really knows the Tomcat will really notice. It looks to be like an easy, pleasant build of a difficult kit. Tamiya nailed it. I'd give it a 9/10.

A 9/10 by Darren is a pretty good endorsement. No sarcasm.

A 9/10 by Darren is a pretty good endorsement. No sarcasm.

Absolutely :thumbsup:! I mean he does have the Worlds largest current intact fleet of Tomcat's... :D.

:cheers:

Yep, pre-ordered two on Monday. The wait to receive these kits will be excruciating!

Would love for Tamiya to upsize this kit to 1/32!

Mike

But what would they do with the one they already have in that scale? Although having said that I am sure those moulds have paid for themselves several times over so maybe they could retire it and then make a new one?

I build 1/48 so I am happy. Pre-ordered mine last week.

Tell me something about this kit, and I'll leave you all alone. I know for sure it's an F14a, but that tells me little. Can I build a 1975 Tomcat that flew off the Enterprise when they buzzed Saigon?

gary

Nope, those jets had the wide beaver tail and the seven hole gun gas vent. To date, the only kits to offer those features in 1/48 are certain versions of the Hasagawa F-14 Tomcat since those parts are not present in all of the kits. Steel Beach did make a resin conversion for other Tomcats, but who knows how well it will work with the Tamiya kit since it wasn't designed for it. I have one though and may see if it can be adapted.

The way the Tamiya kit has been logically designed I am sure once the aftermarket guys are done modelers will be able to build virtually any F-14A from the Tamiya kit (assuming of course Tamiya doesn't do any follow on F-14A versions themselves). Heck I imagine we will see AM conversions for this kit to make 'B' and 'D' versions thus making the Tamiya kit a one stop shop for modelers (again assuming Tamiya does not do this themselves).

So when you start throwing away your built fleet of Tomcats, i get first dibs on a select few.

Nope, those jets had the wide beaver tail and the seven hole gun gas vent. To date, the only kits to offer those features in 1/48 are certain versions of the Hasagawa F-14 Tomcat since those parts are not present in all of the kits. Steel Beach did make a resin conversion for other Tomcats, but who knows how well it will work with the Tamiya kit since it wasn't designed for it. I have one though and may see if it can be adapted.

That figures! I really want to do an early Wolf Pack Tomcat that buzzed Saigon. Guess we can only hope that somebody cares

gary

That figures! I really want to do an early Wolf Pack Tomcat that buzzed Saigon. Guess we can only hope that somebody cares

gary

Darren is already plotting a resin backdating kit, and you can bet it'll be excellent. I've got VF-142 and VF-143 first cruise on the must-do list, so I am right there with you.

Heck I imagine we will see AM conversions for this kit to make 'B' and 'D' versions thus making the Tamiya kit a one stop shop for modelers (again assuming Tamiya does not do this themselves).

:cheers:/>

It is pretty obvious from looking at the sprues in person that other variants are more than likely planned. This is only a guess, but I can easily see them doing something similar to the F-16 (F-16CJ, then block 25/32, then block 32/52 T-bird, then C/N). I personally won't waste a dime on aftermarket conversions for this kit as patience will be better than any of them.

It is pretty obvious from looking at the sprues in person that other variants are more than likely planned. This is only a guess, but I can easily see them doing something similar to the F-16 (F-16CJ, then block 25/32, then block 32/52 T-bird, then C/N). I personally won't waste a dime on aftermarket conversions for this kit as patience will be better than any of them.

Agreed.