Su-25 Monogram 1/48

I haven´t been online on the ARC for quite some time now and checking back on on your build after this time is a pretty cool start. You´re a little slow - so am I - but I was honestly enjoying the well balanced style, the wonderfully detailed model and the patience that you must obviously have put into it.

Very impressive!

Edited by upupandaway

Is it possible that you could explain a bit more about how you do the washes? I understand the panel lines, but I am very interested in how you get those yellowish stains looking so realistic. Do you use a brush to do it? If so, do you just brush it on and let it dry, or do you go over it afterwards with something to blend it with the background? If you blend/wipe it later, how long do you leave it before doing that? How much do you thin the mixture?

The only washes I have done before were to highlight panel lines with oil washes, but I have never been able to get stains as realistic looking as yours - I am in particular talking about the stains on the lower surfaces of your Sukhoi. They really look like oil spills that have been cleaned many times so that it left a permanent yellow stain to parts of the paint.

Edited by Oryx

Your build is just stunning and superb!

it is a piece of art and also the thread is well explained and full of pics!!!

your way of buildin is incredible...i'm really speechless!

just a dumb question:how many packs of plastic rods do you have for such a range of possible detailing you've made us seen????

again and would never be tired of tellin it:FANTASTIC...AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!

cant wait to see also the base finished!!!!!

Cheers

:doh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and thank you for your kind comments.

Between you and Steph' well my head is just spinning.

I know Steph’. A really good modeler and a very sympathetic guy.

I have the chance to see its models in different models shows and they're, simply, awesome : build, scratch and painting.

You´re a little slow

I don’t think that “little†is a good word. Excessively is more exact. :worship:

I was wondering how you lightened the colors after you did the washes?

Is it possible that you could explain a bit more about how you do the washes?

All the weathering is made with airbrush. The paint is much diluted. In fact, I used tinted thinner. I spray randomly the mixture up I obtain a good result.

I only use a brush with a wash to represent the oil stains. First, I mark with an airbrush the stain then, I put a wash in the middle of this stain and I blend the wash with the paint.

Not easy with my poor English to explain. In fact, not easy in French, too. :salute:

how many packs of plastic rods do you have for such a range of possible detailing you've made us seen????

I have 3 packs of plastic rods : 0.5, 0.8 and 1mm of diameter.

The model finally is finished.

Paint-35.jpg

Paint-36.jpg

Paint-41.jpg

Paint-37.jpg

Paint-38.jpg

Paint-39.jpg

The internal structure of canopy, totally forgotten by Monogram, was made with Evergreen :

Paint-40.jpg

Next step, the diorama.

Bye :rolleyes:

Outstanding! :tease:

The whole of the model is hugely impressive. It is a testament to the quality of the model when the close-up images show no flaws.

This one in particular is absolutely gorgeous. I'm very impressed by the milky canopy. For me, attention to detail like that sets this model apart.

Paint-41.jpg

Please tell me we'll see it in all of its' glory at Telford this autumn :pray:

Congratulations on a spectacular creation FrereLeO :monkeydance:

:)

absolutly stunning work!!!!

everything about it is great!! i love those fod covers!! The weathering is phonominal!

I totaly aggree with gedub!!

....and if its comming from him its a huge compliment!

Richard

Edited by rjwood_uk
All the weathering is made with airbrush. The paint is much diluted. In fact, I used tinted thinner. I spray randomly the mixture up I obtain a good result.

I only use a brush with a wash to represent the oil stains. First, I mark with an airbrush the stain then, I put a wash in the middle of this stain and I blend the wash with the paint.

Not easy with my poor English to explain. In fact, not easy in French, too.

Thank you very much for the explanation. I am definately going to go and experiment now. Your model looks absolutely fantastic and in addition, I think this has been one of the most educational builds I have seen on this forum. Thank you very much for sharing all this information with us.

Edited by Oryx

Frereleo, that is just simply superb!

Absolute, outstanding job you have done on your Su-25. :blink:

I look forward to seeing it in the finished Diorama.

Beautiful work. ;)

Cheers,

Jeff.

Hello everybody and thanks again. Your comments touch me much.

How do you get them spots of chipped metal so realistic?? Toothpick or brush or...?

I use a piece of foam. I soak it in Dark Blue Grey paint (P.A., in this case), I remove the excess and I tap the part.

Please tell me we'll see it in all of its' glory at Telford this autumn :worship:

Yes, geedub. In principle, it will be at Telford show.

I would be very happy to meet you and see your Su-27 and your F-15. :thumbsup::worship:

have you ever thought about doing this professionaly?

No. Build models is a hobby for me. I work when I want.

I think that I wouldn’t the same pleasure if it was my job.

Bye :worship: