• 10 months later...

According to the N# and FAA records, this is an MiG-21MF. It must be a lot of fun and cost a lot of money to own one of these. This shot was taken at Thunder Over Michigan 2011.

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/80459/M/Private-Private/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-21MF/N9307/

Edited by Sig Saur & Son
  • 1 month later...

Looks must be decieving then. Up close, she looks a lot older than 17 or so.

#6124 is one of the aircraft delivered new to SK to pay off old Soviet debts. These Fulcrums were delivered in two batches between 1993 and 1996.

OK, thanks for the info.

I guess she just hasn't seen the paint shop in long while. She could use a new radome too, quite a bit of fibreglass showing through in spots.

Rumours are, that because of the impending budget cuts, all Slovak fighter aircraft will be retired on short notice, with Slovakia paying another NATO country for air defense (like the Slovenia model). Let's wait and see what happens.....

Rumours are, that because of the impending budget cuts, all Slovak fighter aircraft will be retired on short notice, with Slovakia paying another NATO country for air defense (like the Slovenia model). Let's wait and see what happens.....

That would be unfortunate, but not surprising. I know the Slovaks were tlaking about a new fighter a few years ago, the F-16 came up most frequently, but nothing came of it.

I know that Slovenia isn't the only country paying others to defend them. The Czech air force does regular rotations to do air defence for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania under the "Baltic Watch" program.

Considering the corruption that has come to light regarding recent Czech military procurments, I really wonder how long the Czechs will be able to participate in such actions.

Contracting out one's air defence... without even a single squadron for 'show' at least... what must that do for national morale? Even most African countries seem to maintain 3-4 fighters just for the "yes we have combat aircraft" image...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...