Why do canadian fighers get a "C" before the "F"?

Just a random question I had this morning. Why is a F/A-18A all of a sudden a CF-18 when it is sold to Canada? I realize the there are some small difference between an American hornet and Canadian hornet, both other countries fly the hornet without a different designation. Australia also flys F/A-18's but they aren't AF-18's, spain should be EF-18s or SF-18s, etc. I know this applies to many other Canadian fighters as well. Why does canada do it and when other countries don't?

PS. I'm not Canadian bashing nor do I intend this tread to turn into that but I am sure it will...

Edited by graves_09

Okay, eh? It's like, we know where all our planes are eh? But we don't always know, like, what they're called eh? So, like, in the winter when you're like wearing your toque and earmuffs, you can't always hear like all good and stuff eh, so you have to say that's our plane...see? A CF-104 eh? See? Eh?

Okay, I'll be oot and aboot later, gotta go warm up the Skidoo and check out my igloo trap line eh?

Alvis 3.1

good question. i always wonder why they don't have "A" after all of their fighters. "that a CF-18 a" (i know, lame humor. don't hate me)

Bill

Well, technically, the "F-18" in Canadian service is known as the CF-188, with the single seater being the CF-188A. Eh?

Back when we were picking a plane to replace the CF-101, CF-104 and CF-5 (CF-116 actually) we had narrowed it down to the F-18A, the F-16A and the F-18L, which was a land based non navalised version of the Hornet to be built at Northrop. The Falcon was a non-starter due to being single engine plane, so it was going to be a naval fighter versus and land fighter...most people thought the F-18L was the shoe in. I figured we'd get the F-18A as it had the "eh" in it...go figure, I actually got it right!

I still don't know where our secret carriers are based...likely in Lake Winnipeg...nobody would look for them there! Clouds of black flies work well to conceal things.

All the Canadian Forces aircraft have a "C" prefix, regardless of role..hence the CC-130, the CF-188, the CH-147, etc...Cargo, Fighter, helicopter, respectively. As far as I know, the "C" was instituted back in the late 40s as a way of showing our uniqueness, beginning with the CF-100. AS far as I know, the Sabres were never redesignated as CF-86s...facts may prove me wrong there though.

Alvis 3.1

Alvis already explained it pretty well. Most countries like to have their own unique system of cataloging aircraft. And Canada is no exception to this. There are plenty of interesting things about this. For example - the Canadian Air Force does not officially recognize the name "Hornet" for the CF-188. And the current duals I believe are officially designated CF-188BM. Between American "Growlers" and Canadian "BM's".....er...uhm...

For example - the Canadian Air Force does not officially recognize the name "Hornet" for the CF-188.

That's because "Hornet" isn't both a French and English word, as I understand it.

Isn't the official name "Frelon"..?

Cheers,

Andre

Limited defense budgets mean that all aircraft have to be multi-role. Thus, all Canadian aircraft are cargo haulers first, and whatever other mission they're designed for second.

Easy peasy..

:whistle:

J

With regards to the original post, I believe the Spanish Hornets actually are, officially anyway, refered to as EF-18.

That might have something to do with the fact that Spain is spelled Espana in Spanish.

P.S. For some reason I cannot use the n with the ~ on top to make it a correct spelling of Espan~a.

That's because "Hornet" isn't both a French and English word, as I understand it.

Cheers,

Andre

That's very close......

....actually Canada had the name Frelon set in place for a chopper (I think) that ended up not happening. So really because the word was used (either french or english), it was off limits by the time the CF-18's arrived.

That might have something to do with the fact that Spain is spelled Espana in Spanish.

P.S. For some reason I cannot use the n with the ~ on top to make it a correct spelling of Espan~a.

You mean like this: España

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map

<Alt>0241 (number pad)

I still don't know where our secret carriers are based...likely in Lake Winnipeg...nobody would look for them there! Clouds of black flies work well to conceal things.

Alvis 3.1

Its also been reveiled in the looney leftist press that half our submarine fleet is kept in the West Edmonton mall, for stealth reasons until we engage with " the plan".

Cheers,

Andre

I understood that it was because 'Hornet' translates in French as 'Worthless drone', not a thrilling name for a fighter aircraft.

C- Canadian

F- Fighter

H- Helicopter

C- Cargo

T- Trainer

P- Patrol

3 digit number- 104 =104, F-5= 116, F-18= 188 etc

So CF-188, CP-140, CT-114 etc

Hornet would be okay but French translation is Frelon which was also a French helicopter so no official designation given. Hornet is the official unofficial name.

HTH

James

And I thought the reason why the F-18A was selected was due to some crazy defense bean counter thinking it might be easier to stick a set of pontoons on the Navalized Hornet so they could train bush pilots to fly and land them on Canadian lakes and rivers eh? :rofl:

Actually, probably the real reason for the MDD Hornet selection over the F-18L had to do with the aircraft being available almost immediately while the F-18L still had some development work due on it when the selection was made. The first official customer for the F-18L was to be Iran until the Shah got deposed. If those jets had been developed and built, I figure it would have been more likely Canada would have considered them as Iran then likely would have helped to foot the majority of the development funding for the jet, leaving Canada with a somewhat more mature weapons system then what was still a drawing board airplane (even if it was heavily based on the naval variant).

Not to mention, most if not all the Canadian-owned fighters have their own modifications, thus it helps to keep it designated as CF-188 vs any other designation. There are other countries that do it - KF-16 ring a bell?

In the case of the 188, one of the modifications is the light they have mounted, among other things.

The CF-116, similarly, had an extending nosegear to shorten their takeoff rolls. new engines, and other modifications.

Actually, probably the real reason for the MDD Hornet selection over the F-18L had to do with the aircraft being available almost immediately while the F-18L still had some development work due on it when the selection was made.

I believe it was the cost aspect. It would've cost considerably more to have the 'land'version done.

AS far as I know, the Sabres were never redesignated as CF-86s...facts may prove me wrong there though.

Alvis 3.1

That is a good point Alvis. know that you mentione it..why wasn't the Sabre fnever given a CF-*** designation. It was aquired after the 100 and well not the production of the CF-105.

Does anyone know what year the current system was adopted?? I am guessing it would have been around the time we got the -101 and he -104. looks like I have a question to ask the next time I am at Vitnage Wings.

Sean

The CF-116, similarly, had an extending nosegear to shorten their takeoff rolls. new engines, and other modifications.

The Dutch variant of the F-5A/B was designed the NF-5A/B for the same reason.

Cheers,

Andre

Of course, if you want to have a bit more fun with Canadian designations you can:

Stick refueling pods on a Hercules and have a KCC-130

You can wonder why the Orion became the CP-140 and not CP-3

You can also wonder how the S-2 Tracker eventually came in to the name CP-121

You can wonder why the Orion became the CP-140 and not CP-3

You can also wonder how the S-2 Tracker eventually came in to the name CP-121

The same reason the F/A-18 and F-5 became the CF-188 and CF-116 respectively - Canada uses a three digit type designation.

Cheers,

Andre