1/144 Unofficial Military Aircraft Decals Survey

This is an unofficial survey to see how many others are looking for military aircraft decals in 1/144.

If you are looking for any particular subject in this scale, chime in. Who knows, if enough of us speak up, maybe some nice decal maker may see a market is there. Or not....

I know 1/144 doesn't have the following of 1/72 or 1/48 but some military heavies in 1/144 would sure be nice.

Don

PS. I'm just a builder and not into the supply side of things so flame easy if I've ruffled any feathers.

I don't know who's looking for 1/144 specifically, but I do know that there are quite a few model train hobby folk out there who use 1/144 aircraft for their N scale work and are able to make custom decals for them. Just 2 quick cents with regards to other options for 1/144.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

Would love to see more aftermarket decals for 1/144. :D

Especially for the Legacy Hornets. Great kits available, so many great schemes, so few decals. :(

The last few years have seen the release of a couple of very, very nice 1/144 kits. Now all we need are the decals! :)

I would love to see more decals - fewer kits are released in this scale, and the kits that are released usually only come with one or at most two schemes. The only real exception is the F-14, which has had many releases and has 3rd party decals, but it's one aircraft I don't model.

I've made some custom decals myself designed to take into account the limitations of ink jets, but I've had uneven results with getting Testors decal paper to stick.

Definitely yes!

With the high quality of some of Revell Germany's kits in that scale, it's almost criminal not to have the aftermarket decal option.

I'd love a sheet to cover the old high vis F-14 Tomcat era and maybe another sheet to cover F-14 aggressors and Iranian Cat. Revell's 1/144 Tomcat kits are real gems.

I also agree with the comment about a sheet for Legacy Hornets, no end of potential there.

I'd also love some sheets for the 1/144 F-104 kits the Revell has. There was an endless array of special schemes for the F-104 from the Canadian Armed Forces and Luftwaffe alone, not to mention the various Tiger Meet schemes that it recieved.

A couple of sheets for USN and international users of the E-2C Hawkeye would also be great. I don't build US aircraft much, but I'd make an exception for a VAW-126 "Seahawks" Hawkeye on the shelf. I also quite like the camo the Mexican Hawkeyes have.

YES YES!! We do need decals for multi-engine aircraft in 1/144!! I'd love to see decals for these 1/144 scale subjects:

- B-47E

- RB-47E/H

- B-52D/F/G/H

- KC-97G/L

- B-29A

- C-123B/K

These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head :pray: You could fit lots of markings for these birds on one sheet!

I sure hope someone would hear our pleas for 1/144 decals. Thanks,

-Derek

Both hands raised here. I would like to see decals for the A-10, EA-6B, A-6, F-15E/C, F-16, F-18, AV-8B, B-52, B-1, C-130, and M/H/S/UH-60 series. Man this list could go on for a really long time.

Dave Fassett

My 2 cents as someone who has actually designs and sell 1/144 decals, I agree there is a market for them. My paltry line of 40 different sets that I print with my Alps printer sell pretty well in the small batches they are printed in. However, sales are nowhere near the 300-500 sheets required as a stand alone release. Figtertown, Barracudacals, FCM, and Xtradecal all have issued silkscreened decals, either as stand alone sheets or part of their 1/72 issues. In the case of three of the printers, they were "fill in" artwork for the main stream releases. Only Xtracolor issued stand alone sheets (C-17 and Tornados). If the sales were to be as strong as some of you are suggesting, I would have mine silkscreened by now. But alas, I haven't because it's not. I have never sold more than 75 of a single sheet. Not enough to tie up the capital that better serves me as a 1/72 decal release. It's a small nich market and will always be. Like 1/43 Racing Car kits, where almost everything is available, but usually at a premium, the same for 1/144 aircraft. There are 1/144 decals out there, check Hobbylink Japan. MYK, Platz, Cafe Reo, Interallied, Rocketeer to name a few. Hannants Co. UK as well.

Belive me, if someone does issue more 1/144 silkscreened USN or USAF markings, I'll buy them. 1/144 SAC Bombers would be a logical choice. Lots of pent up demand for those. I expect a set for the Minicraft KC-135E soon after it's release as well. If you want to keep them coming, better buy a set or two and build kits with them.

If you are serious in wanting them done, start collecting the research to make it happen. When folks approch me with everything I need: Photos, documentation, artwork, etc..., all that needs to be done is fit it in the schedule and create the artwork. 90% of a decal sheet is getting the information. Drawing and getting it printed is the easy part. Research and funding is where the challenge lies.

From CanMilAir website

<snip>

CanMilAir Decals has certainly grown a lot in the five short years since our Grand Opening on June 21, 2005. At that time there were just 59 decal sets available.

With the sets uploaded into the catalogue today, CMAD now offers the modeller a choice from over 500 individual decal sets for 116 aircraft types, dating from the mid-1920's to the present. All but about a half dozen of those sets are for Canadian aircraft, aircraft that were flown by Canadians, or aircraft that have a connection in some way to Canada.

Even with this huge number of available decal sets, work never stops in the development department. There are currently over 100 sets in progress and there never seems to be a shortage of new ideas to add to the list.

My regular customers will have noted that the number of new sets brought forward has diminished greatly over the past couple of years. What used to be more than a dozen every month has dwindled to only a few sets every couple of months. This is due entirely to the volume of decal sales, and for that, I must thank my loyal customers.

<snip>

they are ALL available in 1/144th, they are mostly Canadian and they are very good quality !

If you are serious in wanting them done, start collecting the research to make it happen. When folks approach me with everything I need: Photos, documentation, artwork, etc..., all that needs to be done is fit it in the schedule and create the artwork. 90% of a decal sheet is getting the information. Drawing and getting it printed is the easy part. Research and funding is where the challenge lies.

Mark,

What would be the possibility of scaling down your 1/72 Wildcat decals for the Sweet kit, Bearcat decals for the F-toys kit, and F-82 decals for the F-toys kit? Just a thought.

V/r,

John

Don,

I think there is a market for them and it is something that I would be interested in for the kits I own. Here is one thought though: I think there may be resistance to spending $10 USD for an after market decal sheet to dress up a kit that costs $10 - 12. I think we can justify the expense for a $50 kit, but maybe some will struggle with the idea of the decals costing so much in relation to the model.

Bottom line is I would buy them.

Mark,

What would be the possibility of scaling down your 1/72 Wildcat decals for the Sweet kit, Bearcat decals for the F-toys kit, and F-82 decals for the F-toys kit? Just a thought.

V/r,

John

I looked again at the Sweet cateloge and I don't see any F4F-3, F4F-3A, or F4F-4 kits. Just FM-2s. So reducing my sheets to 1/144 isn't going to happen as a released sheet. Now if you want one for you as a custom sheet, sure! (I get enough complaints about releasing sheets for kits that are not "widely available" as it is. I don't want to open another can of worms by putting out decals for kits that "don't exsist"!)

F8F & F-82s? Have they released them as a kit? If so, I'll consider it. Otherwise it falls under the "Custom Request" category. (Pre-painted build ups do not qualify as kits....) Remember, if you see it, I can always re-scale the art work and print it out as a custom sheet. Just remember it not going to be designed to fit whatever kit you intend to put it on. If you are willing to accept that limitation, drop me an e-mail and get in line with everybody else that has their request in.

Myk Design does a lot of sheets in 1/144 scale. Strangely they even do sheets for aircraft for which no kit is readily available (AFAIK) such as the Mirage 2000. Have a look here: Myk Design

I'd like to see more decals available for the Tornado IDS/ECR at 1/144, especially some of the many German and Italian exotic special paint schemes.

<...> Here is one thought though: I think there may be resistance to spending $10 USD for an after market decal sheet to dress up a kit that costs $10 - 12. I think we can justify the expense for a $50 kit, but maybe some will struggle with the idea of the decals costing so much in relation to the model.

<...>

Hmmm, interesting point. Personally, I don't care how much the base kit costs in relation to the decals. In a lot of my planned Tomcat builds in 1/144, the decals will cost more than the base kit. Thinking about it, that applies to a lot of my planned 1/72 builds as well.

If the product is good, I'm willing to pay good money for it. Regardless of scale. I'd rather pay 10, 12 or even 15 bucks for a good sheet that won't ruin the manufacturer than 5$ for a sheet that will remain an only-child because the profit doesn't justify the manufacturer's expenses.

I realise that 1/144 is a niche market. Therefore, I'd be willing to pay niche prices. Same goes for 1/72. If Fightertown or Afterburner don't do 1/72 because they're not economically viable at reduced prices (compared to 1/48), I'd be willing to pay 1/48 prices for a 1/72 sheet.

If the product is good, I'm willing to pay good money for it. Regardless of scale. I'd rather pay 10, 12 or even 15 bucks for a good sheet that won't ruin the manufacturer than 5$ for a sheet that will remain an only-child because the profit doesn't justify the manufacturer's expenses.

I realise that 1/144 is a niche market. Therefore, I'd be willing to pay niche prices. Same goes for 1/72. If Fightertown or Afterburner don't do 1/72 because they're not economically viable at reduced prices (compared to 1/48), I'd be willing to pay 1/48 prices for a 1/72 sheet.

This is my feeling exactly! Look at the resin market and some of the prices these are commanding. I would have no problems paying $10-15 for a decent sheet in 1/144. The problem is, there just aren't that many out there.

Don

BTW - Thanks for the input all.

It's not just niche prices - a 1/144 decal sheet costs pretty much what a 1/48 sheet costs to produce (because so much of the costs are in the drawing and layout), and you still have to get the minimum number of sheets. So you have to price the 1/144 sheet at like 5-10 times the price of a 1/48 sheet because you know that, at best, 400 of the 500 minimum order are going to sit on your shelf forever.

There just aren't enough 1/144 builders and there aren't enough good 1/144 kits to support decent 3rd party products. The only decent 1/144 market is for Japanese gashapon, and that's why you see the majority of the 1/144 decal market set up to support those.

Gas-bag post edited as Cloggy said it all more succinctly:

Myk Design does a lot of sheets in 1/144 scale. Strangely they even do sheets for aircraft for which no kit is readily available (AFAIK) such as the Mirage 2000. Have a look here: Myk Design

Apologies - I really have to pay more attention.

Gary

:whistle:

Edited by Aerobat

I'd like to see more decals available for the Tornado IDS/ECR at 1/144, especially some of the many German and Italian exotic special paint schemes.

Heller does the Mirage 2000 in 1/144, I have 4 of them. To put my two cents in, I would LOVE to see more decals in 1/144. I have to disagree with the coment made that pre-painted are not kits. The pre-painted/GASHPON products are kits, in fact companies like F-toy or Cafe Reo have released thier molds as plastic kits through Platz, two examples are the F-4E/J by F-toy, which BLOWS the Academy and LS/Arii kits out of the water; and the F-104J that was released a few years back as a kit.

That being said, there are MANY modelers who strip the paint of the pre-paints and re-do as the scheme they wish. If from a production stance, the evidence is that most GASHPON kits see thousands of molds of the same kit, and in most cases they are re-issued every couple years. I also second the thought about price. I recently looked in FCM for thier Iranian Tomcat sheet. Yes you get 3 options, 4 if you count the USN set, but you only get enough roundels to do one aircraft, that may not be bad but the set was like $12.00 usd! It would be nice to have enough to do two or 3 complete, much like MYK does.

My wants:

More Iranian decals for F-4's, F-5's and F-14's.

North Vietnamese AF decals for MIG-17, 19 and 21's circa 1967-73.

Israeli AF for F-4, A-4, F-16 and F-15's.

Arab AF's like Egypt, Syria, Iraq and Jordan.

EA-6B “Moondogs” VMAQ-3 circa mid to late '90's

RAF Jaguars, Harriers, Tornados

And RN, RAF and FAA set for Sea Harriers, Harriers, Vulcans, A-4's, Daggers and Mirages.

And perhaps some Indo/Pakistani wars aircraft decals.

I think MYK's Mirage 2000 decals are for the F-Toys Mirage.

If you want some German exotic special schemes, check out Peddinghaus Decals

John