$25 to get into a US air show!

Classic Air Rallye here this weekend is $20 per adult. Looks like it will be a good show and the weather is supposed to be outstanding. In my opinion, $20 isn't a bad price. If you want to see a show, you've got to pay for it. I don't expect the organizers to foot the entire bill themselves.

you're not giving in, its not a dod sponsored airshow. its a private one that has incorporated military acts...thats all there is to it. not the first time (even in the area, air fair 92 at westfield cost money) and sure as hell isn't going to be the last time.

thunder over michigan cost money too, and that was damn well worth it.

TOM has been going on for years. The Walsh family is a class act that produces outstanding air shows year after year. They have an amazing track record. Therefore, the admission price is worth it. This is a first for this venue in NH. Might have been a good idea to reduce the price a bit the first year and establish a track record first. MAAM's WW II weekend has been going on for years and the price still has not reached $25.00. The price for the 2011 show is $20.00. Yeah, I know there's no jet team, yada, yada, yada. Still, MAAM puts up a great show, great static display, free parking, reasonable food prices. I'd be interested to see the NH air show attendance figures and then multiply that by an adjusted figure close to $25.00.

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

Guess I come from a different perspective, a different time. An era when the summer was filled with free air shows, fly-ins and open houses. One every weekend within easy driving distance for my dad. And, you saw two of everything in the inventory in a flypast, plus the Blues and/or the T-birds and/or the Snowbirds. Fifty or more aircraft on static display was the norm. And, it was all free. Then there was Transfair '77 at Atlantic City. My dad and I thought they'd charge us to breath if they could figure out how to meter the air. That show only lasted two years. If the NH people are in it for the love of aviation, then the show will grow. If they are in it to make a buck, then it will be a big FAIL.

Cheers,

Dave

I think we just have to face facts that the good old days of airshows are gone.

el toro in southern california use to put on a great airshow----FREE----but the base is gone those days are gone.

Once i went to Brown Field for some sort of international air show near san diego and that also cost money to get into---private show---but worth it ( my wife and i got comped)

nonetheless, free is good but paying is ok for what you get.

I'm going tomorrow, sucking it up, paying my 35 bucks and leaving at 6am. Honestly, I"m kinda hoping more people say "I'm not paying 25 bucks!" just to keep the crowds/traffic down a little. Anyone from the NH area know a good Secret Squirrel Back Way into Pease, where I might bypass some of the traffic?

PS: The static display list:

(5) F-16C Falcons

(2) F-16CJ Falcons

(1) F-16D Falcon

(1) T-1A Jayhawk

(1) T-6A Texan II

(2) F/A-18F Super Hornets

(1) P-3C Orion

Civil Air Patrol GA8 and C182 (3 total aircraft)

(2) CJ-6A

(1) YAK-50

(4) YAK-52

(1) SNJ-5

(1) B-52H Stratofortress

(2) F-15E Strike Eagles

(1) KC-10A Extender

(1) UH-60L Blackhawk

(1) C-12D Huron

(1) PC-12 Pilatus

(2) F-15C Eagles

(1) C-130J Hercules

(3) L-39ZA Albatross

(4) L-17B Navion

(1) Cessna 150

(1) 757-200

(1) KC-135R Stratotanker

(1) Cessna 182

(1) UH-1N Iroquois

(2) E-2C Hawkeyes

(1) AT-38C Talon

(1) T-44A Pegasus

(1) T-45C Goshawk

I've always been curious about the airshows in New England. They seem to be really underrepresented by the New England ANG's. I went to the Rhode Island show last summer, and all the planes were from far away. They can't fly an A-10 up from Connecticut for the weekend? Or a C-5 from Westfield? F-15's from Barnes? Vipers from Vermont or New York? I'm sure there's some reason for it, it just seems surprising to me that an airshow wouldn't have the local talent, so to speak.

Edited by RedHeadKevin
I'm going tomorrow, sucking it up, paying my 35 bucks and leaving at 6am. Honestly, I"m kinda hoping more people say "I'm not paying 25 bucks!" just to keep the crowds/traffic down a little. Anyone from the NH area know a good Secret Squirrel Back Way into Pease, where I might bypass some of the traffic?

Parachute.

You guys have nothing to complain about :thumbsup:

I visited RIAT at Fairford, UK, and paid GBP 42,50 (66 US$ or 52 euro) for a ticket allowing me access on either saturday or sunday. And another GBP 20 for access to photograph departing aircraft on Monday. A programme costs GBP 9,50.

And at the RIAT all fuel for the aircraft, lodging for the participants, food and other expenses have to be paid for by the participating airforces, NOT the RIAT organisation or the RAF!

There are a few other airshows where things like fuel are not paid for by the organisers.

I wouldn't mind paying if there is something worthy to see. I mean there seems to be a lot of "piece together" type of shows where not much has gone into it. Just living on past glory, expecting return crowds of years gone by. I don't mind paying if I get to see a wide selection of military birds, not just a few quick fly-bys. I mean filling in a tight time schedule does not allow much viewing time when turnarounds are involved, especially with large, "slow" movers...

I've always been curious about the airshows in New England. They seem to be really underrepresented by the New England ANG's. I went to the Rhode Island show last summer, and all the planes were from far away. They can't fly an A-10 up from Connecticut for the weekend? Or a C-5 from Westfield? F-15's from Barnes? Vipers from Vermont or New York? I'm sure there's some reason for it, it just seems surprising to me that an airshow wouldn't have the local talent, so to speak.

That's nothing compared to Iowa. I have never seen an IA ANG F-16 at an Iowa air show. Ironically, I have seen many photos over the years from other states where the 185FW or 132FW showed up there...

Edited by David Hingtgen

I would still pay $30 a head to go out to Abbotsford even though the lineup has been getting less and less each year.

I still remember the demos that Art Scholl did because I saw him two years running before his fatal accident while filming "Top Gun". I remember when the flightlines were PACKED with fighter and attack aircraft. They'd bring in the F-111s, the A-10s, F-15s, F-14s, F-16s and CF-18s as well as a USMC or USN F/A-18C, F-5s, and other fast movers. Back in the 80s. You'd have an F-4 or 2. Now you go there and it's mostly cargo and gas-haulers. See the lineup here: http://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/index.php..._STATIC-DISPLAY. I remember when the Blue Angels used to come up every other year. And 1986 was the heyday when because of Expo 86, both the Blues and the T-Birds were there at the same time.

You take a look at the flying displays and they've gotten more aerobatic teams than military demos each and every year. We now don't even have the AV-8B display anymore that used to be a staple.

But you know what...I'll still keep going...at least I've got memories in the back of my mind about how the Abbotsford Airshow used to be.

I would still pay $30 a head to go out to Abbotsford even though the lineup has been getting less and less each year.

I still remember the demos that Art Scholl did because I saw him two years running before his fatal accident while filming "Top Gun". I remember when the flightlines were PACKED with fighter and attack aircraft. They'd bring in the F-111s, the A-10s, F-15s, F-14s, F-16s and CF-18s as well as a USMC or USN F/A-18C, F-5s, and other fast movers. Back in the 80s. You'd have an F-4 or 2. Now you go there and it's mostly cargo and gas-haulers. See the lineup here: http://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/index.php..._STATIC-DISPLAY. I remember when the Blue Angels used to come up every other year. And 1986 was the heyday when because of Expo 86, both the Blues and the T-Birds were there at the same time.

You take a look at the flying displays and they've gotten more aerobatic teams than military demos each and every year. We now don't even have the AV-8B display anymore that used to be a staple.

But you know what...I'll still keep going...at least I've got memories in the back of my mind about how the Abbotsford Airshow used to be.

My days of Abbotsford Airshow go right back to 1970. I don't remember it much as I was too young but my dad took myself and my older brother to it back then. I start remembering Abbotsford from 1973 on. 1973 was the year the CF-101 Voodoo (101019) exploded. I thought it was a part of the show (hey I was still just a lil kid :D ) until I saw smoke and parts streaming down with two parachuted aviators.

The halcyon days for Abbotsford ranged from the early 70's till the early 90's. The 70's had all the TEEN series aircraft begin to come and fly as Canada was looking for its new fighter. CF-101s from 409 sqd out of Comox and CF-104's from 410sqd out of Cold Lake came. The Blue Angels and Thunderbird alternated almost each year through most of the 70's. The Snowbirds were as they still are a hit.

Expo 86 was the best year but the Blues and the Thunderbirds were not both there. The Blue Angels, the Frecce Tri Colorie from Italy, Patroulie De France, Snowbirds and the Esquadrila de Fumaca from Brazil all came and we had the Soviets there for the first time, the Concorde and on Friday a BLISTERING display from the SR-71.

Some other great years were 1988, Blues first year with the F-18 and the Oregon ANG came with a few F-4 Phantoms, 1989 the Mig 29, Mig 31 and AN 226. 1991 the Sukhoi Su-27, 1993 had the Snowbirds, Thunderbirds and Russian Knights all fly. Ohh and yes I agree the static ramp was chock full over those years.

Abbotsford is still a good show but its harder to be as varied and dynamic today. That said I still like it and plan to keep going as long as it runs.

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo
You guys have nothing to complain about :D

I visited RIAT at Fairford, UK, and paid GBP 42,50 (66 US$ or 52 euro) for a ticket allowing me access on either saturday or sunday. And another GBP 20 for access to photograph departing aircraft on Monday. A programme costs GBP 9,50.

And at the RIAT all fuel for the aircraft, lodging for the participants, food and other expenses have to be paid for by the participating airforces, NOT the RIAT organisation or the RAF!

There are a few other airshows where things like fuel are not paid for by the organisers.

It looks like people over here are looking at things from the wrong side of the pond.

So far our aircraft are not gated off and I would be surprised if that does not happen down the line.

Difference tho might be, those gated off aircraft will have an actual gate with a fee to walk around military aircraft, Far fetched thought?

Expo 86 was the best year but the Blues and the Thunderbirds were not both there. The Blue Angels, the Frecce Tri Colorie from Italy, Patroulie De France, Snowbirds and the Esquadrila de Fumaca from Brazil all came and we had the Soviets there for the first time, the Concorde and on Friday a BLISTERING display from the SR-71.

You're right. I just checked my Abbotsford International Airshow 1986 program.

Now...I recall what year I saw the damned T-Birds. :worship: It was August 12th, 1989. I went religiously between 83 (my first airshow when I was 13) and 1989.

You're right. I just checked my Abbotsford International Airshow 1986 program.

Now...I recall what year I saw the damned T-Birds. :rofl: It was August 12th, 1989. I went religiously between 83 (my first airshow when I was 13) and 1989.

'89, Remember the "Royal Albanians"? Staring General Ifititches Scratchit, Colonel OyaWebad Webad? Admiral Sonofavitch? You know the demonstration pilots took off with their welded wing formation :rofl: In the Pigs Special, a combination of the Mig and the Pitts. :worship: Do you recall the wording on the Pitts biplanes' wings?

One side said " Perestroika Pretzels" the other side said "Glasnost Vodka" :rofl:

'89 was was a great show. Major Bob Wade of 410Sqd flew in the back seat of the Mig-29UB doing tail slides in it. One of the Soviet pilots flew in the back seat of one of the Oregon ANG F-4 Phantoms. The AN-226 flew, the Thunderbirds an Snowbirds put on great shows.

I'm a human archive machine concerning much of the Abbotsford Air show from the mid 70's onwards.

:P, An-226? Now there's one I haven't heard of before but I did sit in an An-2 today at Watts Bridge. Agricutural? Sure is, but then that's what they were originally designed for, agricultural work. With 10 people and 800 litres of fuel aboard it can get off the ground in 50-60 metres and proved it today. And it was as quiet as I remember the one at Evans Head almost 20 yers ago. I honestly can't see why An-2s registered in Germany have to have a massive muffler fitted as they do. They are quiet enough without it even at full power.

:thumbsup:,

Ross.

ps. I'll upload some pics when I get home and get them sorted. One unusual sight was a Harvard done up as an SNJ but with what looked like a Wirraway 3 bladed prop. No Wirraway tis year but the Mustang was there.

'89, Remember the "Royal Albanians"? Staring General Ifititches Scratchit, Colonel OyaWebad Webad? Admiral Sonofavitch? You know the demonstration pilots took off with their welded wing formation. In the Pigs Special, a combination of the Mig and the Pitts. :lol: Do you recall the wording on the Pitts biplanes' wings?

One side said " Perestroika Pretzels" the other side said "Glasnost Vodka" :lol:

If anything, do you remember the wording on the tails of those "Royal Albanian" Pigs Specials.

"HELP WANTED"... Oh, hell, they were funny. The only two active pilots of the Royal Albanian Airforce were Colonel Zahn Offavich and Corporal Oya Wiebat Wiebat. I think General Effititches Sckratchitt said that the team was discovered in 1952 by the Cole Brothers who were vacationing in Albania and dsiguised as horses, the troupe was smuggled into the United States with the Royal Lippizan Stallions. :whistle:

I can't remember though, did the MiG 29 fly. I think the single seater and the two-seater were on display at one of the airshows.

I still have the 1983-87 and 89 airshow programs and I can't seem to find my 1997 program, it'll probably crawl out again at some point (probably packed away somewhere). They're some of my prized possessions. Looking forwards to getting to the 2012 Abbotsford Airshow (the 50th anniversary) and actually getting some decent airshow shots.

airshow_programs.jpg

Though, Les, I'm sure you've got every one from 1970 onwards. :D

As the subject of the thread is concerned though. Despite the ever-increasing prices of the airshows, you can't really put a price-tag on a fun day out with the entire family. The airshows are usually family friendly and a way of getting some family time with the whole family while enjoying something aviation related. You can't say that about concerts or anything else so much nowadays.

Edited by The_Animal
If anything, do you remember the wording on the tails of those "Royal Albanian" Pigs Specials.

"HELP WANTED"... Oh, hell, they were funny. The only two active pilots of the Royal Albanian Airforce were Colonel Zahn Offavich and Corporal Oya Wiebat Wiebat. I think General Effititches Sckratchitt said that the team was discovered in 1952 by the Cole Brothers who were vacationing in Albania and dsiguised as horses, the troupe was smuggled into the United States with the Royal Lippizan Stallions. :whistle:

I can't remember though, did the MiG 29 fly. I think the single seater and the two-seater were on display at one of the airshows.

I still have the 1983-87 and 89 airshow programs and I can't seem to find my 1997 program, it'll probably crawl out again at some point (probably packed away somewhere). They're some of my prized possessions. Looking forwards to getting to the 2012 Abbotsford Airshow (the 50th anniversary) and actually getting some decent airshow shots.

airshow_programs.jpg

Though, Les, I'm sure you've got every one from 1970 onwards. :beer4:

As the subject of the thread is concerned though. Despite the ever-increasing prices of the airshows, you can't really put a price-tag on a fun day out with the entire family. The airshows are usually family friendly and a way of getting some family time with the whole family while enjoying something aviation related. You can't say that about concerts or anything else so much nowadays.

The Single seater flew in the main show, but on Sunday the UB flew with Major Wade in the back seat at the end of the show. I have all but one programme from 1974 onwards. Your knowledge on the Royal Albanians is good :D

Oh yes a correction on a brain fart the AN-225 Myria was the transport that flew in the show.

Yup. Worth the 35 bucks, although the "free water" advertised is a fallacy. There was no free water and the lines were VERY long to pay $3.50 for a bottle of water. If you're going tomorrow, bring water, and just so you know, I spent 2.5 hours just sitting in traffic to get out of the parking lot, about 150 yards. Although I did get some pretty good pictures. As for the statics?

(5) F-16C Falcons - 1 F-16C from the VT ANG.

(2) F-16CJ Falcons - The Demo birds, you couldn't get near them.

(1) F-16D Falcon - nope

(1) T-1A Jayhawk -check

(1) T-6A Texan II -check

(2) F/A-18F Super Hornets - the Demo birds, you couldn't get near them

(1) P-3C Orion -no

Civil Air Patrol GA8 and C182 (3 total aircraft) - yup

(2) CJ-6A - no

(1) YAK-50

(4) YAK-52

(1) SNJ-5

(1) B-52H Stratofortress - yup

(2) F-15E Strike Eagles -Demo birds, couldn't get near them.

(1) KC-10A Extender - check

(1) UH-60L Blackhawk - check

(1) C-12D Huron - no

(1) PC-12 Pilatus - no

(2) F-15C Eagles - yes, MA ANG

(1) C-130J Hercules - No, it was a earlier model

(3) L-39ZA Albatross - yes, you could even sit in the cockpit

(4) L-17B Navion

(1) Cessna 150 - CAP bird

(1) 757-200 - check

(1) KC-135R Stratotanker - check

(1) Cessna 182 - CAP bird

(1) UH-1N Iroquois - check

(2) E-2C Hawkeyes - check, the new models with the 8-bladed props

(1) AT-38C Talon - check

(1) T-44A Pegasus - no

(1) T-45C Goshawk -no

slightly disappointed in the statics, honestly. There were also 2 A-10C's from Whiteman AFB, which were a nice surprise. I got there right at 8am, so I beat a lot of the crowds to get inside a couple planes.

For tomorrow: Leave a cooler in the car with water and food. You'll be better off tailgating after the airshow than trying to beat the traffic.