$25 to get into a US air show!

I was planning on going to the Pease/Portsmouth, NH air show this weekend. I checked the website and discovered it's going to cost $25/head to get in. B) I'm not going.

On this side of the ocean that is incredible. I know there are shows here and there that cost more. I attend shows that may have a parking fee. But $25/person at the gate? And, then there are "sold out" passes to get into the static display early...$50, and additional costs to sit on the show line.

Blue Angels and the Brazilian AF team are there plus a long list of flying and non-flying military a/c.

Is this out of line? Or have I led a sheltered life in Down East Maine?

No flames, please.

Rick

Hmm, Is it at a private or commercial airfield, that may be why there is a cover charge??

I may be mistaken but the Airshows that are on actual US airbases are paid for by the US tax payer (like me), the ones on private or commercial strips have been known to charge fees.

Ryan

I believe that Pease AFB turned into the Pease International Tradeport many years ago and thus is a state-owned facility. As such, they can charge anything they want. Given the amount of cops needed for security / traffic control, I think it is reasonable to charge a fee. I would be fine with $25/car but $25 per person seems a bit much. At least tell me that they are charging less for kids. In this economy, I think this will keep a lot of families away, which is a shame. Seems like it would be a good show.

Regards,

John

Edited by 11bee

The big DFW Airshow at Alliance is free,but parking is like @ $20. Don't forget, there are a lot of other acts/support besides the military as well. The "hosts" have to make cover their overhead.

Upon further reflection, people pay to see military bands as well sometimes depending on the venue. Again, up to the hosts/venue.

Abbotsford International is $30.00 a head (13 and over); Kids are $12 (6-12), a carload is $100.00 (better to get the carload if you have a family of 4 or more with 2 13 year olds. At least parking is still free. All prices in Canuckistan play money.

I'm surprised, with Canuckistan raising taxes...that the Cold Lake Airshow is still free. :P Hmmm, maybe our family should move near Cold Lake, Alberta. :P Comox's Airshow went belly-up, so there's nothing worth attending on the island.

Edited by The_Animal
I was planning on going to the Pease/Portsmouth, NH air show this weekend. I checked the website and discovered it's going to cost $25/head to get in. :P I'm not going.

On this side of the ocean that is incredible. I know there are shows here and there that cost more. I attend shows that may have a parking fee. But $25/person at the gate? And, then there are "sold out" passes to get into the static display early...$50, and additional costs to sit on the show line.

Blue Angels and the Brazilian AF team are there plus a long list of flying and non-flying military a/c.

Is this out of line? Or have I led a sheltered life in Down East Maine?

No flames, please.

Rick

While that is a bit high compared to many shows, if you think about it in terms of entertainment for dollar value it's really not that bad compared to say a sporting event or even a 2-hour movie. You're getting hours of entertainment that you can't see most anywhere else. I mean it can cost $12 and up to see a movie now days, and airshows last for a MUCH longer time. Plus there is a lot of overhead for a privately run airshow. I agree it is high in comparison but I think that's really because most shows have been so cheap for so long. That's just my opinion.

I personally prefer the charge per car load shows since it usually can be pretty cheap if you fill up your car.

Bill

I saw the Thunderbirds at Maguire AFB and it didn't cost me a thing and all the displays were free. A privately sponsered airshow on private property can charge what the market will bare but I still believe that the Military should not participate. Granted its a nice recruiting tool. The price doesn't matter any military display team should be open to the public at no charge and should pick venues that are free. Exception if event is charity and admission is a donation for a good cause ie.. disabled vets or survivors.

TC

I refuse to go, and pay money, if people start doing it, we will need to pay money all the time.

If they are going to charge tax payers then we should be able to charge them for every personnel, maintenance and aircraft that is used during that period of time.

What is next, sell demos off to the highest bidders so only the "well to do" can see airshows and use it for their own advantage for their businesses? They already have a place for that crap it is called Sponsorship VIP areas.

Please do not bring privately funded sports venues into the matter, they are privet, which our "publicly owned" Military is not.

Then food and water should be free......

Take it from an-exemployee for one of the biggest money-makers in the world....it is getting crazy everywhere!!

Went to Thunder with Sean. I loved it, but it was a little wierd paying for admission, parking, bleacher seats, food, beverage..not alchohol...they have a special seating area for that....

At our shows in the south, it just seems to be a little less...I think Titusville is $10 bucks, and 3-5 for the flight line....of course the bases are my favorite cause they are free and I blow all my money on the items the squadrons are selling!!!!

-Jim

When you factor in what you get for entertainment at an airshow $25 is more than fair. Look at what any sporting event costs you, or to go to the movies to see some dreg movie made by an increasingly creatively bankrupted movie industry today. I know people who easily spend $10 a day buying overpriced shite coffee at those notable coffee shops when one can make their own and better for a fraction of the price at home.

If it's a civilian air show like the Abbotsford Air show which is a nonprofit so money earned must be reinvested, well a cost to enter is normal. If it's on a military base then I guess entry should be free but I'm certain they try to make it up on concessions and other selling on base which is fine IMO.

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo
I saw the Thunderbirds at Maguire AFB and it didn't cost me a thing and all the displays were free. A privately sponsered airshow on private property can charge what the market will bare but I still believe that the Military should not participate. Granted its a nice recruiting tool. The price doesn't matter any military display team should be open to the public at no charge and should pick venues that are free. Exception if event is charity and admission is a donation for a good cause ie.. disabled vets or survivors.

TC

Well, if that is the case then you can forget the flyovers at sporting events, such as NASCAR, NFL and similar ones. Or forget the Golden Knights jumping out over a baseball diamond during the National Anthem since those are private events that one has to pay to see in person. Of course, technically those events are a little different because one is going to see the sporting event rather then the flyover (unless the teams playing are REALLY lame). Oshkosh as I recall also has a requirement of being a member of the EAA before going to Airventure (a hefty fee as I recall) and military displays are a big thing there. The military has been participating in public events for years. Regardless of what an airshow event charges, be it free or not, there are A LOT of costs associated with it. A military base usually has a budget for it as part of their public relations fund. As such, they can typically absorb the costs. Private facilities can't as easily. Besides, they are also closing down their own airspace for one day and pumping fuel into planes. That does NOT come cheap!

Now the one thing that would help with such a ticket price is if say a bottles of water was provided to each customer when they entered (or complimentary bottled water was available inside). Airshows are usually hot affairs and security typically prevents anyone from bringing bottles in from outside. As such, if one were paying a ticket price and on a budget, they might be tempted to skip an important item for such a trip, like water, and the results could be passing out from heat exhaustion or dehydration.

I also think there is a charge to park as well. Heck, maybe they even have pay portapottiess too. If you are opposed to this, as I am, then don't go. When I first heard about the show I planned to attend. When I saw how much they were taking out of our pockets, I decided not to go.

I believe you're right about the fuel. Where I was born in Lake Charles they use to put on one of the best shows in the south. They always charged admission, albeit a lot less than $25 because I believe they did have to pay for the fuel for any military jets there. And while yes there are sponsors, there is still a huge amount of overhead cost such as hotels, meet and greets, car rentals, support vans, security, permits etc... This is one of the reasons they no longer put on the airshow there. (Part of it was also due to mis-managment by the airshow committe and more resources for the "party" than for the actual airshow but that's another story :woot.gif: )

For those that aren't fortunate enough to live close to a military air base, the only option is a privately run airshow or long travel. Try going on the Blue Angels web site and look at their requirements to come to a private show. Just hosting them alone is a HUGE undertaking usually by a volunteer group. They at least need to make their money back or no more airshow.

Bill

Airshow committees have to pay for the fuel of the visiting aircraft, plus the lodging for their crews. Maybe even the food for the crews, but I'm not sure how that works.

When a show is on a military base, those costs come out of that base's budget, so they don't have to charge admission to cover their costs.

Jake

:pray:,

There's an airshow on at RAAF Williamtown on the 18-19th of next month and the admission is $20 per ticket, plus parking at the civilian airport on the other side of the runway. Admission will also be at the civvie airport and at various times during the day's events the runway will be closed for half an hour at a time to allow pedestrian crossings. If it's a wet weekend I definitely won't be going and might just find something else to do that weekend even if it's good weather. I remember the Willytown airshows of the 50s and 60s when entry was free and parking was about 2 shillings (20c) which went to a local charity and the road from the Stockton car ferry to Williamtown, about 10 miles was a carpark most of the day in both directions. It was quicker to go the long way via Tomago and Hexham to get home.

:worship:,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford
Try going on the Blue Angels web site and look at their requirements to come to a private show.

A while back, I downloaded the 2009 USAF Thunderbirds Support Manual from their web site. Among the items the show organizers must provide or pay for (emphasis added):

• Department of Defense policy states civilian shows must pay $6,000 per official demonstration. This is a partial reimbursement for expenses.
  • Billet in a hotel/motel that does not charge more than the military maximum lodging rate for that location. The show site must pay any overage in charges – no exceptions.
  • Your Billeting Representative must coordinate with the hotel to waive any charges for local or “1-800†number charges. If the local phone and 1-800 number charges cannot be waived, the show sponsor will be required to pay the cost.
  • If the hotel charges for parking, arrangements must be made to have the charges waived. If the hotel will not waive the charges, the show sponsor will be required to cover the cost.
  • Please ensure that the Thunderbirds have access to a facility with a complete weight training area as well as a cardio training area. It must be available 0600-2200 during the Team’s entire stay and preferably near the billeting location with fees waived. Be advised, in most cases, hotel gym facilities are inadequate to meet fitness requirements.
  • It is the show site’s responsibility to provide vehicles for Thunderbird use. Funding for vehicles (to include insurance) is the responsibility of the show site.
    • Minimum vehicle requirements are:
    • 16 Sedans
    • 14 Mini-vans
    • 1 Full-size (15 passenger) van
    • 1 Six-passenger pickup truckwith pintle hook, 4 doors and a/c)
    • (NOTE: Require brake control to transport an 8,000 lb trailer if transporting off showsite)
    • 1 12’-long flat-bed truck (1 or 1½ ton) (with smoke oil loaded)
    • 2 Golf carts for Public Affairs and Communication Personnel (request one 4-6 passenger golf cart if available)

[*]Normally our F-16s will remain outdoors; however, hangar space must be dedicated and readily available...The hangar must have a minimum of 15,000 square feet with 20-foot ceiling clearance, or equivalent space with 20-foot ceilings...The cost of hangar space is the show sponsor’s responsibility, to include our extended stay due to maintenance or airlift support problems.

[*]Music Licensing Rights: The United States Air Force requires that any U.S. air show -- civilian or military -- hosting an Air Force aircraft demonstration must secure the necessary music licenses for broadcast of pre-recorded copyrighted music over public address speaker systems. On behalf of all U.S. air shows, the International Council of Air Shows (ICAS) has negotiated a rate of $150 per public air show day from BMI and ASCAP and $65 per air show weekend from SESAC...Each event organizer should secure music licenses from BMI, ASCAP and SESAC and provide proof of licenses to the teams NLT 30 days prior to the event to allow for rescheduling.

[*]Civilian show sites purchasing jet fuel will be reimbursed at the DOD Fuels Contract or into-plane price.

1. The show site must pay the difference above the into-plane cost.
    2. Cost related to transporting fuel is the responsibility of the show site.

That's just the added costs of bringing in the Thunderbirds. It doesn't count fees paid to other performers, security, set up and clean up, and all the rest. Is it any wonder why a civilian air show charges admission? We are fortunate on Long Island - our annual air show at Jones Beach is paid for by the state and corporate sponsors, the only fee is the standard per-vehicle parking fee that is charged for parking at a New York state park.

Good arguments everyone. However, $25.00 is a bit much for admission. If it's a good show, it'll be back. If not, it'll be history like so, so many others.

If everyone took your position chances are it won't be back. AirVenture was I believe $35/day plus parking for members. A family of four going to a movie around here with snacks runs about $100. A local farm club baseball game is about the same. If you're a lucky man, you might get to take in a Packers game...but be prepared to spend hundreds of dollars just for a ticket!

Airshows cost money. Sure the military stuff is provided but the air ops, liability insurance, airport staff and security personnel and performers all costs $$$. The fuel costs alone can be staggering! When the DC-7B made its appearance at AirVenture, the fuel costs based on the trip up for a round trip flight (Miami to Oshkosh to Miami) was $43,000.00. Now add up the fuel each participant (not including active military) used to get to and from the show and the fuel they consumed while performing if they did so. CHA CHING!

Look at it this way...it cost less than a Trumpeter kit and you'll probably enjoy it more!

Look at what the Flightline package contains and see if you would complain..

I wouldnt!

Some of us that are from the area are complaining.

Keep in mind Jon if we did give into it, there is a pretty big chance other airshows we care to go to will follow the same methods.

-----------------------------

PS: Military with I.D get a whopping 5 bucks off their own personal ticket, big woop woop.

Keep in mind some of those sporting things people are talking about in here, let Military in by the 1000s specially big events like Nascar and they can even get to the infield. Yet a Military Event! they have to pay for?

So yeah I can see things like flybys at sporting events being an ok deal, since some of those military personnel are taking care of at the sport events.

Edited by Wayne S
Abbotsford International is $30.00 a head (13 and over); Kids are $12 (6-12), a carload is $100.00 (better to get the carload if you have a family of 4 or more with 2 13 year olds. At least parking is still free. All prices in Canuckistan play money.

I'm surprised, with Canuckistan raising taxes...that the Cold Lake Airshow is still free. :crying2: Hmmm, maybe our family should move near Cold Lake, Alberta. :) Comox's Airshow went belly-up, so there's nothing worth attending on the island.

I paid the carload price at Abbottsford this year.

And the Cold Lake airshow is not free, except for the water-front version.

The Canadian military no longer sponsors airshows from what I know. They brought in an umbrella group in the late nineties and the number of airshows dropped substantiallly. And from what I remember they always charged admission although not in the values you see at Abottsford. I seem to recall never getting enough tickets for my entire family to attend despite being based on the base in question which was holding the airshow.