What Was Your first Phantom?

My first F-4 was a 1/144 scale bird that I did in a sort of desert camo scheme. It turned out looking really cool even if it's not authentic. I've since done a 1/32 and a couple 1/72. The last being a 1/72 Hase that I turned into a target drone.

Edited by Bigasshammm

My first Phantom happened to be one of the first kits that I tried to paint in a somewhat accurate (using the term very loosely) way. That meant decals and colours that looked somehow fitting, eyeballed from the boxtop and going by the colours on the lids of Humbrol and Revell tins. Seams and sanding were a non-issue in those (blessed!?!) days. The kit is a Revell boxing of the Italeri 1/72 F-4E/F. Must've been fifteen years ago that I built it. The years have not been kind to it. Dust is now firmly engrained and many of the decals have flaked off.

SD535157.jpg

Aurora's 1/48 ''Phantom'' from the Young Model Builder's Club.

I wish I had that kit today.

Yep that was my 1st Phantom kit followed by the Fujimi 1/50 kit of the E.Then came the Monogram,Esci and Hasegawa's all in 1/48.Hasegawa were my favorite then Monogram.I remember the Aurora had the landing gear doors molded flush on the bottom nose and wing and you glued the landing gear in pre drilled holes with more gear doors attached.That was some 41 years ago.

I think it was one of these:

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?deta...mp;cat=Military Aircraft&manu=Revell&scale=1/72&searchtext=F-4

Summer of 1969 living in North County St. Louis (Hazelwood) I had to have THAT kit because it had the extended nose strut.

The only other F-4 I spent any great time on was a 1:72 kit (Monogram I think) for my AFRES squadron commander, he was a F-4 back seater. I did the marking of our group (507th at Tinker AFB). It was the ONLY retirement gift that he picked up and put infront of him during the dinner!

Well, way back when I got a F-110, in Air Force markings. It was a big kit, maybe 1/32? But my hands were much smaller then I think it was an Aurora kit and it didn't have a lot of detail. It was very difficult brush painting a kit that big.

Ken

My first Phantom was the Revell 1:72 Blue Angel four-pack. My skills were quite rudimentary in the late Sixties but those blue/yellow F-4Js looked wicked cool. I did a better job later with the Monogram F-4J in the early Seventies. That said, I'm not phoaming at the mouth for Phantoms.

I never build a Phantom before. I love the A-4. But after reading this thread and seeing some of the models here. I think i ll get myself one. in 1/72 off course

Good luck finding one. They are getting scarce. You will probably have to pay dearly for any kit.

Airfix 1/72nd scale VF-74 Bedevillers F-4B with fantastic box art, in late 1967 which hooked this 8-9 yr-old kid. It cost 4 shillings and sixpence = 22.5p in modern decimal currency. Thereafter followed a production line of Airfix, Revell, Frog and Hasegawa examples, inbetween 95% prop output.

Got re-hooked with the great swathe of 1/48th scale Monogram, Esci and Italeri kits that appeared from late 1980 onwards, and got 'into' jets full-time. Probably built 25 (mostly Monogram, but quite a few Italeri and Esci, and one or two Revell) examples in the 1980s. Microscale were pumping out sheets at a dramatic rate then. Would love to see some of those scaled-up!

Wish I could say the same now - four Tamiya 1/32nd scale F-4s acting as loft insulation, as I can't get around to cutting-up the kits to make the 'essential' RF-4C and F-4G Weasel models, though have all the parts.

Can't keep a good habit down, can you?!

The new Brassin seats may give me the nudge I need. Bought one set and am impressed.

Maybe I'm still hanging on for a Tamiya RF-4 and F-4E 'late production' ?

Excuses, excuses...

Tony T

Good luck finding one. They are getting scarce. You will probably have to pay dearly for any kit.

Hmmmmm, 318 item hits for "1/72 F-4 Phantom" on ebay at the moment. Many of them are kits. And that doesnt account for those randomly listed models that may exist.

Can you define "scarce?"

I wanted the Phantom kit sooooooo much but it was not easy in late 60ies early 70ies in the communist country (though we had some limited access to certain wetsern kits in Czechoslovakia then). I finally got two from my cousin in the U.S., I could not sleep when I got the package (all torn as a result of the customs control) with Aurora 48th scale Blue Angel and Hasegawa 72nd F-4J prototype. It was November 1972, I will never forget. I was a little diappinted by the little decal in the Hasegawa kit but I asked Airfix and they sent me their sheet (they did). I still have the Hasegawa kit built and I was able to obtain the same issues recently and keep them unbuilt as part of my nostalgy collection.

Jozef

Hmmmmm, 318 item hits for "1/72 F-4 Phantom" on ebay at the moment. Many of them are kits. And that doesnt account for those randomly listed models that may exist.

Can you define "scarce?"

Don't do much e-bay. At LHS in my area ,hard to find and tried to ordernew kits and the price was out of sight. You are right e-bay has a lot of old kits.

• 2 weeks later...

My first Phantom was the old IMC "battle damaged" RF-4B (based on the Revell kit) back in the mid 60's. I remember being disappointed when I realized that it didn't have any weapons...

I also fondly remember the 1/32 Revell F-4J that I had hanging from the ceiling over my desk in college. It was back in 1974 and I had just been accepted at Navy AOCS. I used the kit decals but used some dry transfer letters to put my name on the canopy rails.

Mark

• 2 years later...

My 1st Phantom was also The 1/72 Scale Revel F-4 as shown above from 1960, I remember this distinctly because I still owed 5 cents Tax I bought the kit at the local Toy store, rode my bike home and ride back to the Toy Store to pay the Nickel. .I was inspired by a George Washington story or a Abraham Lincoln story about honesty. From that time on the Toy Store owners treated me with respect and saved special kits and deals for me. That was in West L.a. in the 1960's.

I still have parts of the kit in my spare parts bin. Lol.rolleyes.gif

This IS NOT, my first Phantom, I have no idea what my first one was as I have been building these things for near 40 years. BUT!!!!! the 1988 London airshow with 28 phantoms on static display went a long way to helping with my love of this aircraft. What other airplane has been used by as many different countries, in SO many versions for so long?

F-4B,C,D,E,F,G.........etc!!!! No comparison to any thing else!

DSC_0199-1.jpg

What other MODEL could I have built 129 times and still have 40 in the stash?

DSC_0063-2.jpg

Looks like a real old thread is brought back. So old, the Phantom showed in the photo no longer exists. Its been replaced by a much better job in 1/48. Also, I have built 20 new ones since then.

Edited by phantom