When's the last time you saw this??

JFK on the election trail in April of 1960 somewhere in West Virginia. Aside from the priceless grin on the woman's face, when was the last time you saw 0.02 on a grocery store cash register?

:woot.gif:

01.jpg

JFK on the election trail in April of 1960 somewhere in West Virginia. Aside from the priceless grin on the woman's face, when was the last time you saw 0.02 on a grocery store cash register?

Well...fairly frequently, but it's a weird case, because I'm a historian. Part of the reason streetcar companies were sick even before automobiles took off, for example, was because they'd foolishly promised to maintain the nickel fare. Well, then after around 1900, inflation started to set in, and then World War I came along, and...

Indeed, I'm a really weird case, because I'm a historian of technology. So I'm geeking out over the fact that they had conveyor belts in supermarkets back then. The whole place looks pretty slick for Appalachia, West Virginia, considering Robert Byrd was still a junior senator. Still, the register is old-school, as transistors were still mainly in high-end radios.

Admit it: how many of you remember your (family's) first transistor radio?

The photo isn't especially flattering to him, though, despite the oft-repeated assertion that he beat Nixon on general camera-savvyness to the contrary notwithstanding.

Edited by Fishwelding

He also bought enough votes to drum Hubert Humphrey out of the presidential candidacy. Yeah he was an old school politico - plenty of money, tons of dubious connections and not a hint of transparency in his dealings. He managed to maintain the illusion of dignity for the man and his office, something we have lost all respect for in modern times.

Ah, the good old days.

Admit it: how many of you remember your (family's) first transistor radio?

When I was a kid in the late 70s I remember my grandma had one of those old... (probably 50s) tube radio... I remember the wood case and blue glass in front of it, with all the names of the stations and wavebands.... Montecarlo, Berlin and so on...

To her it was just a long out of order radio, so she just let me play... I remember removing the tubes and throwing them against a wall in the backyard... they made a fuzzy noise when they exploded...

Yeah... I still feel a bit guilty... as I said, to her it was just a bulky old non functioning radio... today I'm not saying it would be 1000euros worth, but it would definitely be a vintage item worth keeping...

Then... 30 years after I became a VOX AC-15 tube amp owner... so now I love tubes... life is definitely strange

Btw... can't remember, but I bet those tubes were telefunken 12ax7....