Announcement from Great Wall Hobby on their 1/48 F-15B/D kit

Have they been sensible and given us someway of tell if the kit from the second batch without looking in the box?.

I still want to buy acouple of the twin tubs....but will not buy online unless I know what plastic I'm getting

Have they been sensible and given us someway of tell if the kit from the second batch without looking in the box?.

I still want to buy acouple of the twin tubs....but will not buy online unless I know what plastic I'm getting

Hobbyeasy have it marked on their site that it's updated moulds.

The author failed to notice and show that the front fuselage sides have been retooled to the correct coke-bottle shape.

Front fuselages have been retooled indeed. However, the side insert panels, closing the electronic bays, keep creating an almost unfixable discountinuity.

Old and retooled parts side-by-side comparison.

http://www.themodell...changed-in.html

Mark

Pictures speak 10,000 words....

It's been said already but I'll happily repeat it:

Props to GWH for updating a model kit they just released within the last year 70.gif !

We modelers whining and complaining about it's short-comings is one thing to be expected, but for the model kit company to step up so soon and correct many of the inaccuracies and release an updated version so fast goes above and beyond the normal business practice 271.gif .

Front fuselages have been retooled indeed. However, the side insert panels, closing the electronic bays, keep creating an almost unfixable discountinuity.

Unfixable? You may want to browse around the tools and tips section on how to use putty and how to rescribe lines. It is pretty basic stuff.

Mark

I have to agree with that. Pardon me for my ignorance, is the speed break on the F-15 C smaller than that on the F- 15 B/D and E models.

The actual speedbrake is the same and interchangeable between all models A through S...

Unfixable? You may want to browse around the tools and tips section on how to use putty and how to rescribe lines. It is pretty basic stuff.

Mark

Mark,

I am in the hobby since fourty years now. I know how to putty and restore panel lines. Here we go way beyond that.

Are you referring to this part?

P6110012.jpg

Iggy hi2.gif/>

Yes, these parts.

Now, mate the two fuselages sides together and then look what happens to the "coke bottle" front fuselage shape. . .

That is the discontinuity I am talking about.

Edited by galfa

But he doesn't have time to build/fix anything since he keeps posting/complaining left and right on all possible modeling boards

(similar to other "experts" such as Jennings and Gaston Marty aka "Robertson")!

Mario

in NYC

Are you referring to this part?

P6110012.jpg

Iggy hi2.gif/>

If it sinks in just shim it with plastic sheet, if it stands proud sand it. Nothing 40 years of modeling experience can't fix. FFS even people with lesser experience time can accurately scratchbuild an entire model out of plastic sheet and bondo.

Edited by Inquisitor

Pardon if this has already been posted. There's a nice pictorial expose of the updated parts side by side with the old parts here: http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/06/gary-looks-at-just-what-has-changed-in.html

Thanks for the link, much appreciated. Never seen that before. I should bookmark that site.