Kitwarning.. Kittyhawk Mig-25 Foxbat

The Mig-25 is one of the jet's I've been wanting to build for a good many years. It was almonst enigmatic when I grew up in the 80's and 90's and I never did see one up close on pictures and got to study it. Just saw some blurry pics, but it got my intrest peeked.

Now kittyhawk released a brand new 2013/2014 modell in my fav.scale and I was thrilled.. but that thrill has turned to.. well suffice to say.. it's gone

This kit is the worst piece of sjeit I've seen in a very long time.. I don't mind braking out the filler and sandpaper, but WTF.. The lower and upper fuselage parts does not even come close to fit together. There was a good half inch of mismatch on either side like someone had sat on the damn thing.. Well I thought I could fix that and I sort of did.. but now the freakn front fuselage don't fit.. not even close.. the airintakes have a large step both on top and the sides. we are talking 5-7 mm on either side and the only way I could get it to come close to match up is compressing the modell and "welding it" together with superglue and kicker.. the godess knows if that will hold or not. And now the f'ing radome is acting up.. I still have the wings and landing gear to tackle and I'm getting fed up.. well have been fedup for some time now , but this one is really testing my patience.

I did not take any pics yet as I was to honked off to get my camera out. but I'l try and get some when I've completed the main assembly.

If you are concidering to get this kit.. take a good look, open the box and try to match the upper and lower halfs, if they match within an acceptable amount of gap ,you might be good, if not stay the h*ll away or look at another example. If you are concidering ordering it online.. I don't think I'd recomend that.

I have done a fair amount of kittyhawks kits now, I've made sevral of the Gripen and Jaguars (have one GR-1 on my desk right now" and fitwise theese have all been very nice. This Mig-25.. not so much..

Kittyhawk better do something with their quality controll , cause this s'it is not acceptable.

I'm no fan of kitty hawk, but their Foxbat is still better than the old Revell kit! Scalespot has an excellent build article on it. Plasticard, putty, pointy needle, and patience and you'll have a decent looking kit.

I'm no fan of kitty hawk, but their Foxbat is still better than the old Revell kit!

Damning with faint praise in my book. Yes, it's better than the Revell kit. But that's a **very** low bar to cross. The KH kit suffers from a complete lack of understanding the subtleties of the real airplane on the part of the kit designer. It's a half-hearted effort that resulted in a hodgepodge of features, a lot of which are very poorly done. Can it be built? Yes, of course it can. But will it result in a really accurate Foxbat? Nope. Sorry, it just won't.

I've only bought and attempted one KH model, their Jaguar A. I had similar issues to Tiger27's Foxbat. It must be a QC problem as I've seen multiple reviews of this kit not being that hard to complete. I got the front fuselage part done (with great difficulty) and then when I tried to marry it up with the back half of the fuselage...you guessed it...it was like trying to marry up an Alpha Jet with a Phantom. The gaps were laughable. I can understand using putty, but no one should have to use plasticard on a modern kit...there's just NO excuse. Kitty Hawk really needs to get someone else to do their QC. Whoever is doing it now is taking too many cigarette breaks.

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

I love guys who blame there inability to build a kit well on the manufacturer.

You know tradesmen and tools etc.

It seems several people have not only built it but built lovely looking Mig-25's from in his opinion a completely unbuildable kit.

Gary Wickham an excellent builder popped one out with a few tips to help those suffering with fingeritis.

http://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/mig25/build.htm

The garbage written about this kit raises the bar of anti kit propaganda to new heights.

What started as an excellent post with some very good information on the KH Mig turned into a post where people where stating points in complete opposition to photos presented comparing the kit to the aircraft.

Like the lower fuselage curve was out on a test shot.

The authors failed to comprehend with photos of the production kit that it was changed even though it was as plain as them on those.

Kit warning posts like the OP has put up clearly show how low the hobby is descending.

Heaven help the OP to build a 1970's Revell kit where modelling skills where required and learnt.

Instead all we do now is sling mud in the producer because when the glue was thrown in the box and shaken the finished kit never appeared.

I guess its a sign of the times that people can blame everything that goes wrong everywhere except where the fault lies..

It seems several people have not only built it but built lovely looking Mig-25's from in his opinion a completely unbuildable kit.

Gary Wickham an excellent builder popped one out with a few tips to help those suffering with fingeritis.

http://www.scalespot...mig25/build.htm

The garbage written about this kit raises the bar of anti kit propaganda to new heights.

What started as an excellent post with some very good information on the KH Mig turned into a post where people where stating points in complete opposition to photos presented comparing the kit to the aircraft.

The authors failed to comprehend with photos of the production kit that it was changed even though it was as plain as them on those.

Kit warning posts like the OP has put up clearly show how low the hobby is descending.

Heaven help the OP to build a 1970's Revell kit where modelling skills where required and learnt.

Instead all we do now is sling mud in the producer because when the glue was thrown in the box and shaken the finished kit never appeared.

I guess its a sign of the times that people can blame everything that goes wrong everywhere except where the fault lies..

couldn't disagree more with you on nearly all the points your bringing!

first, i have see other builds from the OP, and they are really neat and well done! not like if he was unable to build model well! first point wrong!

i also, like you, i have seen , what the guy (the scalespot) did with that kit! it's great... but have you see ALL the stuff he had to do to get there??? not as bad as the old revell kit, maybe... but awfully lots of correction to do for a 80$ (and more) kit!!!

other that that, I've seen only one complete example of a complete build, it looks OK... then again, the builder praised KH for their efforts... but also said that he had to do a lot of corrective work...

and, Gary Wickham is not just an "excellent" builder... he's the kind of builder most of us would like be!...and are not...

Does this problem would not be a result of poor storage? May be a result of some located deformation problem, I do not believe the kit has been designed with this kind of error...

http://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/mig25/build.htm

You're kidding right! When I spend close to $100 AUD to get a newly tooled 1/48 kit, designed with CAD etc, I expect it to at least fit well. If I buy a Hasegawa or a Tamiya kit for that price, the thing builds beautifully. Yes there is some filler involved but not to the extent that you want to throw the kit against a wall. I'm not a great modeller, but I can put a kit together well enough to get some decent compliments on the forums and from my friends. I've built Revell 1/48 for half the price of the KH and they've been much more enjoyable kits to build.

This isn't 1970's Revell land anymore. Newly tooled kits should be, for me at least, accurate, relatively easy to build, and there should be almost zero fit issues thanks to CAD/CAM etc. If they're not, then hey would be priced accordingly. You blaming the OP and citing "lack of modeller skills" is laughable.

Meh. Darren's got a thing for Kittyhawk or something. Any post that points out one of their kits' many faults, he'll jump in to denigrate anyone who dares suggest it may not be the greatest kit ever tooled. Mention that GWH pooched this or that on their F-15, Darren's there, venting at anyone who dares have a different outlook on the hobby than he does.

Just ignore him.

That being said, I'm typing this with a KH Foxbat taped up right beside me. My fuselage *IS* warped, but it does (more or less) pull into place with judicious clamping. I found it helped to fit the locating pins around the wing roots together, then work my way out from there. The rear fuselage, under the rudders IS particularly tricky to line up, though - it really needs some locating pins there. Intakes? Mine are fine. Could be an issue with particularly serious warping, maybe? Actually, looking at the parts, I can't imagine how I could get 5 - 7mm gaps at all. Similarly, my forward fuselage fit is fine. It LOOKS like there are gaps on the underside, but that's just the way the splitter plate spacers are on the Foxbat. And adding the intakes to the forward fuselage pulls everything into position. Fit among the nose sections isn't great - it will take some shimming, sanding and filling to smooth out... but then the nose shapes are pooched anyway, so the fit problems are the least of my gripes there.

IOW, warpage IS a concern with the kit, but it sounds like you've got a particularly bad example. I don't think I've read of anyone else having that much trouble with their kit. And, as much as it sucks for you (I've built kits that fought me every inch of the way, so I empathize), hopefully yours is just a one off that got stored on a furnace or something, at some point.

Hi Guys,

don't lose hope, based on what i see here i won`t be paying 70.00 $ for a kit with half an inch fit gaps... Even in some of the worst resin kits that i have seen out there that is unheard of for me. It clearly looks like a case of poor QC and poor cooling when the parts are ejected from the mold and or poor mold design. If i was to invest into a metal tooling for a kit that size and i was a medium size injected kit company i would at least try to get the engineering part right, or let other people do that part for me.

The MIG-25 is one of the kits that i had been planning to do as an injected kit in the future. Well, since it looks like they goofed, i might still be interested in adding it to my future line of kits. But not right away, as this is a large model and will require quite a lot more funds than what my first releases will cost, well, at least in 1-48th. So there might be a chance i might do it in 1-72 first, who knows.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Only if you know next to nothing about the MiG-25. The kit is a hodgepodge of MiG-25 variants, clearly demonstrating (yet again) that the KH kit designer (Mr. Song) knows little or nothing about real airplanes, and can't be bothered to learn a subject intimately before launching into the design of a kit. Every KH project has suffered much the same problems - hurried design, very poor basic research, and a resulting kit with a series of major problems (and in some cases, outright plagiarism of existing cottage industry parts).

Buildability is an entirely different issue. I'm talking about basic accuracy (fidelity to the real article). If you're afraid to say that the emperor has no clothes, that's your problem. Don't denigrate others for saying it.

Edited by Jennings

Every KH project has suffered much the same problems - hurried design, very poor basic research, and a resulting kit with a series of major problems (and in some cases, outright plagiarism of existing cottage industry parts).

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Maybe Tiger27 (et al) should spend less time on the forums and improve the building skills. A true master overcomes all obstacles. smile.gif

are KH kits to have warning sticker "master modeling skills required" on them?

also, most of the building tips i've learn in the lasts year where find here, on internet forum...

(and in some cases, outright plagiarism of existing cottage industry parts).

Huh? :huh:/>

Which kit is that? The shoe fits Trumpeter (their retooled 32nd scale Flanker with Zactoman part like fixes). I am truly curious!

Regards,

Only if you know next to nothing about the MiG-25. The kit is a hodgepodge of MiG-25 variants, clearly demonstrating (yet again) that the KH kit designer (Mr. Song) knows little or nothing about real airplanes, and can't be bothered to learn a subject intimately before launching into the design of a kit. Every KH project has suffered much the same problems - hurried design, very poor basic research, and a resulting kit with a series of major problems (and in some cases, outright plagiarism of existing cottage industry parts).

Buildability is an entirely different issue. I'm talking about basic accuracy (fidelity to the real article). If you're afraid to say that the emperor has no clothes, that's your problem. Don't denigrate others for saying it.

Mr.Song...............Did he design the horrible 1/32nd Su-25? or 1/48th tornado?

Then sth. is clear...

By thw way, someone from trumpeter often swore modellers for their 'poor' skills,e.g.1/48 seahawk's canopy.I don't have this kit,but HB's 72nd seahawk also has to be kept canopy opened...

Mr.Song...............Did he design the horrible 1/32nd Su-25? or 1/48th tornado?

Then sth. is clear...

By thw way, someone from trumpeter often swore modellers for their 'poor' skills,e.g.1/48 seahawk's canopy.I don't have this kit,but HB's 72nd seahawk also has to be kept canopy opened...

Mr. Song worked as the kit designer at Trumpeter before he moved to KH. So yes those kits were most likely Mr. Songed.

How can anyone forget the missing outer missile pylons on the Su-25...

Edited by Inquisitor