Tu-22 Modelsvit in 72nd

Well it was about time to forget that age old ESCI kit and for someone to do a proper Tu-22. This is the original Tu-22 which had the NATO designation “Beauty” only to be changed since you would not like the Ruskis to have something beautiful. :D

The rumor has been around for some time that one of the eastern (ex USSR) manufacturers is working on this kit. Here you have a built example from a show last weekend. So it is Modelsvit (from the Ukraine), the scale is 72nd (it is a big one) and it looks good. Of course one would need to see the plastic in person to give an opinion but it would be hard, very hard to produce a kit which is worse than the original ESCI.

Here is a link

http://www.greenmats.club/topic/493-modelsvit-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BA%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BB-%D1%82%D1%83-22-%D1%88%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%BE/

here is another with some more photos (OK I know it is all in Russian but the photos speak . . . )

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_58212_start_0.html

It is stated that it will cost a bit more than the Be-12 kit. (Well I had my example for around 30 Euro at Moson show)

The information is that they will have four versions:

-Bomber,

-EW,

-Trainer

-and the one with the big missiles.

The plastic is almost ready, still working on details like decals. No release date at the moment but could be late summer, autumn . . .

If the quality of the Be-12 is anything to go buy then the Tu-22 will be a cracker!!!!!!! Look forward to it!

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

A very interesting - and promising project.

Hope, they'll have the option for 'vanilla' Tu-22 too, as exported: there is plenty of new info on Iraqi and Libyan Blinders...

Excellent news indeed! Let us hope the price level really stays low, I can already feel myself buying multiple variants.

The amount of interesting kits and aftermarket coming from Ukraine is amazing, and their quality is getting better and better. For us modelers things really could not be much better.

So I've been just having a look at my Esci kit and comparing it to the images of the Modelsvit Tu-22. If this new kit is anything close to the real thing, then it is very clear just how bad the Esci kit really is. I've read many posts about what needs to be done to correct the Esci kit, but YIKES! It's like comparing apples to moon rocks.

Tom

So I've been just having a look at my Esci kit and comparing it to the images of the Modelsvit Tu-22. If this new kit is anything close to the real thing, then it is very clear just how bad the Esci kit really is. I've read many posts about what needs to be done to correct the Esci kit, but YIKES! It's like comparing apples to moon rocks.

Tom

Dont forget there are some 35 years between the two kits and design as well as production capabilities have advanced a “bit” since then! Also the ESCI kit was based on some very basic information, crude drawings and a few poor quality photos. The designers of the new kit had the chance to study the real thing with tons of background information to incorporate into the kit. So . . .

There is no perfect kit and I am sure there will be some mistakes, mix ups on this too but what a difference this product is to the one all those years ago.

Best regards

Gabor

Not quite 35. The ESCI kit was done in 1991. It and the equally mediocre Fokker F-27 were the nails in ESCI's coffin. AMT/Ertl had already bought them by that time, but allowed them to operate as a separate entity. When they screwed the pooch on those two kits, AMT/Ertl shut them down. They existed for a while as a European marketing entity for AMT/Ertl, but those were their last new kits.

Dont forget there are some 35 years between the two kits and design as well as production capabilities have advanced a “bit” since then! Also the ESCI kit was based on some very basic information, crude drawings and a few poor quality photos. The designers of the new kit had the chance to study the real thing with tons of background information to incorporate into the kit. So . . .

There is no perfect kit and I am sure there will be some mistakes, mix ups on this too but what a difference this product is to the one all those years ago.

Best regards

Gabor

Word

Not quite 35. The ESCI kit was done in 1991. It and the equally mediocre Fokker F-27 were the nails in ESCI's coffin. AMT/Ertl had already bought them by that time, but allowed them to operate as a separate entity. When they screwed the pooch on those two kits, AMT/Ertl shut them down. They existed for a while as a European marketing entity for AMT/Ertl, but those were their last new kits.

And earlier than 1991, by a couple years. I remember vividly I was painting and adding the undercarriage to my build of the ESCI kit on the night Desert Storm began. I had purchased it at half price from Wonderland Models in Edinburgh the preceeding christmas/new year when up to see relatives for Hogmanay! Indeed, whenever I see footage of the start of Desert Storm, my first thought is of that model! Weird trigger, huh? ;)

It may have been 1990, but if it was it was late that year. I know for certain where I was living and what I was doing when I received the test shot from AMT/Ertl. In any event, it wasn't 35 years ago...

And in ANY event, I'm elated to see a new accurate kit!

Edited by Jennings

The owner of Modelsvit does post here every now and then, I guess the intended release date/ status for the Modelsvit Tu-22 family would be nice?

Now unfortunately the motivation to do the massive & arduous task of plastic surgery and major work on the ESCI/ ERTL kits has lost it's meaning. What to do now with the ravaged kit and the L&M conversion set and the Equipage wheels............ :deadhorse1:

Here's a few pics wot I took at Engels to whet your collective appetites.....

Tu-22RDM....

day04_019.jpg

Tu-22KD.....

day04_022.jpg

Tu-22U.....

day04_024.jpg

Tu-22PD....

day04_027.jpg

.... and the Gate Guard.....

day04_053.jpg

This PD was at Ryazan.....

day_03_19.jpg