I want 1/48 B-17 and B-29 recessed panels, conversion kit? resin?

The monogram 1/48 B-17 and B-29 have been out there for years, i cant deal with the raised panel lines, If noone is going to update them, I wonder if they anyone has ever thought of a resin conversion with proper skins, or maybe a shape ways file

The monogram 1/48 B-17 and B-29 have been out there for years, i cant deal with the raised panel lines, If noone is going to update them, I wonder if they anyone has ever thought of a resin conversion with proper skins, or maybe a shape ways file

Resin conversion? I think it would be a lot easier to rescribe them...especially the B-29, not many complex curves there.

B-17s were built using lap-joints (overlap) while B-29s used butt-joint skin construction. Recessed panel lines would only be appropriate for the B-29.

Notice the rivets on only one side of the lap joint.

media-380384.jpg?itok=FiU7dGsp

Here's another. Click the photo to get the large, full-res version.

rear-gunner-b17.jpg

Edited by Slartibartfast

If you can't deal with the raised panel lines (I don't get it, but to each his own) then until a new B-29 or B-17 comes out, you won't be adding either to your collection.

Barring that, buy a scribing tool...

Edited by DonSS3

Frankly, these are the only really accurate kits of either type in any scale. Raised panel lines is a small price to pay for what are still the best kits of either type on the market (well, possibly until Airfix's new 17G comes out...)

Frankly, these are the only really accurate kits of either type in any scale. Raised panel lines is a small price to pay for what are still the best kits of either type on the market (well, possibly until Airfix's new 17G comes out...)

That's 1/72 though.

Did I read that right? You're basically asking for someone to scribe the Monogram bombers, then make resin copies of the fuselage, wings, and tailplanes? Really?

yes I have limited time to build any shortcuts to make it easier help me

..but apparently an unlimited budget. Do you have any idea how much that much resin would cost?

SN

I suspect that if anyone would be crazy enough to attempt such an endeavor, the reject rate for the parts would be quite high. Large pieces, relatively thin parts...

yes I have limited time to build any shortcuts to make it easier help me

ENNN-eeee-way...

There are no shortcuts to rescribing. You'll have to either put in the time (and a 1/48 fort=lots of time) or work with the raised lines and replace the ones you lose. Should you choose to, there are plenty of ways to replace raised panel lines that have been lost.

Ken

Each to their own, but to me the B-17 just looks odd with engraved panel lines. Besides, the Monogram kit really isn't that bad to get together nor did I find it overly time consuming (but I wasn't really paying much attention to how long it took because I tend to enjoy the journey in model building more then the actual destination). Your best bet if you really want a 1/48 B-17 is to work with the Monogram kit, take care when assembling it to minimize filling and sanding, and replace the raised panel lines via any number of ways (or just leave the sanded off panel lines, squaring them up to surrounding lines to make them look neater). Baring that me thinks you'll be waiting a long while for a new tool engraved 1/48 Flying Fortress.

Good luck.

:cheers:

Well this is one of the more ridiculous things I've read in a while.

I totally get not wanted archaic raised panel lines. No matter what their apologist say they don't represent overlapped panels any more than recessed ones. Fact is recessed lines are easier to work with and they allow you to add more character to finished builds. Yeah, they aren't always accurate, but a lot of concessions are made in scale and I don't think recessed panel lines is something to get hung up on as being accurate.

However, basically you're just asking for a resin kit of these subjects. Which is silly and cost prohibitive. Eventually I'm sure SOMEONE will give up a new tool 1/48 B-17. For now I'd recommend just going 1/32 for the B-17 with HKs kit and have at it. It is in fact the best B-17 in any scale.

I can't even begin to imagine what a current technology 1/48 B-17 or B-29 would cost with engraved detailing like you're wanting. I'm betting somewhere north of $150.00.

For now I'd recommend just going 1/32 for the B-17 with HKs kit and have at it. It is in fact the best B-17 in any scale.

I would argue that the 1/48 G kit is easily the best plastic kit of a B-17 out there. Best shape, good detail, ease of construction. The 1/32 kits have massive shape errors in the nose. All the 1/72 kits have discrepancies as well so the 1/48G kit is your best bang for buck.

I would argue that the 1/48 G kit is easily the best plastic kit of a B-17 out there. Best shape, good detail, ease of construction. The 1/32 kits have massive shape errors in the nose. All the 1/72 kits have discrepancies as well so the 1/48G kit is your best bang for buck.

No it doesn't. The shape issues are over blown by the red pen brigade...as it typical fashion here, but believe what you want.

I'm rather disappointed and put off by some of the responses here for the guy to get a new hobby and the such. You may not agree with his approach, you may not agree it's a needed product...fine whatever. but the guy simply made a statement about something he wished existed. It seems rather harsh to call for an exit to the hobby for having that wish....But whatever.

Bill

Edited by niart17

or maybe a shape ways file

Riiiight.

Okay, I'm game. I've just mocked up a *super* rough CAD model to estimate the material volumes. Just a couple of blocky wings, taiplanes, tail and a tubular fuselage, sketched over a 1/48 B-17 drawing. As I said, super rough, but it should be enough for some back-of-the-envelope calculations. (if anyone wants to weigh the kit parts and knows the density of styrene Monogram uses, we can get a lot more precise).

By my rough guesstimate, you're looking at a minimum of 300 cm3. My model is 318 cm3 with 1.5 mm thick surfaces, which is probably about the same thickness as the original kit.

You want recessed panel lines, so that's going to limit you to the higher resolution materials from Shapeways. All of the materials will require significant priming, sanding and smoothing in the first place, but we'll ignore that. WSF is way too coarse to hold panel line details, and would be particularly problematic to smooth the prints, so it's out. BHDA and FXD won't let you print large enough parts. So you're limited to either FUD or Acrylic, though with either one, you're going to have to break the wings and fuselage into at least two sections. We'll assume you're using Acrylic, since it's the cheaper option - $3 per cm3 - though it'll require more filling/sanding to smooth out.

Calculating the print cost is pretty simple, then: 300 cm3 x $3/cm3 = $900. So you'd be looking at (roughly) $900 to have the parts printed at a moderate resolution from Shapeways (FUD would be an extra $150, BTW).

And that's assuming the designer just gives their work away for free. Which, they wouldn't, so you can probably double that (at least - it's not like they'll sell many $1000+ copies of a $30 model kit).

Sooo... you can probably expect to pay somewhere around $1500 - 2000 for the parts from Shapeways.

The good news is that resin would be much cheaper. Based on Cutting Edge's large conversions (1/32 Brit Phantoms), HPH's large-size resin castings or AModel's line of fiberglass resin kits, you might be able to get resin castings of the kit parts for as little as $500.

I would argue that the 1/48 G kit is easily the best plastic kit of a B-17 out there. Best shape, good detail, ease of construction...

And much MUCH cheaper then 1/32 with most Monogram 'G's' falling under $30 USD. Not to mention the space saved. Hey if 1/32 is your bag and you have both the coin and space then have at it. But you can buy a lot of 1/48 Fortresses to try your hand at engraving the panel lines for the cost of one 1/32 Fort. But like I posted earlier I think the raised panel lines look better...but that's me.

:cheers: