The AV-8B does not carry a 30mm gun.  It has a 25mm gun in her pod.  Ammo pod on one side gun pod on the other.  Its the GAU-12.  I agree it would be very difficult to nail a drone with 20mm, 25mm, 30mm from an aircraft platform.  The 20mm CIWS is different as stated due to its ability to rapidly acquire a target as small as these drones.

Good ol' air to air aerial gunnery from a CH-53E, CH-53K, or MH-60R/S would do the trick nicely.  Especially MH-60R/S as we mounted the complete Common Defensive Weapons System (CDWS) on the Romeo and Sierra.  It Consists of:

GAU-21 .50 cal at 1100 - 1300 rpm. (this aint' your grandpas Ma-Duece 🤩)

GAU-17 7.62mm gaitlin gun at 6,000 rpm

M240D 7.62mm light machine gun at 850 - 950 rpm at gas setting (2)

2.75'' rockets

To me this is the most combat effective choice for this threat. The most economical considering the cost of AIM-9L, AIM-9X, AIM-120 air to air systems.

We shall see if any declassified "Lessons Learned" reports come out on how we are trying to defeat this new threat.

Gunny

Are these drones capable of defensive maneuvers?  If not then shooting one down would be a lot easier that a target that was twisting and turning. 

On 2/24/2024 at 11:47 PM, ViperDoc said:

Here’s a question. Are you considering a Part 2 to your 1/48 RF-4C?  Hopefully the Desert Storm or late 80s/90s Grey Hill Scheme?

Yes but not so soon after the first part - it will be coming sometime in the second half of the year.

ADFs in Foreign Service. Italy use to operate the type and had a couple specially marked planes. Jordan, Pakistan and Thailand currently have them in service. Pakistan uses a unique camouflage pattern. Jordan's went through the MLU program and can now use Sniper pods and LGBs. 

13 hours ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

ADFs in Foreign Service. Italy use to operate the type and had a couple specially marked planes. Jordan, Pakistan and Thailand currently have them in service. Pakistan uses a unique camouflage pattern. Jordan's went through the MLU program and can now use Sniper pods and LGBs. 

Italy had several specially marked ADFs some flamboyantly, some less gaudy. Hasegawa had a special double boxing issued with really nice (if somewhat thick) decals and also I believe Zotz came out with the Veltro pattern.

We also had ADFs in Texas (not yet a foreign country though), I believe down at Ellington Field, between Houston and Galveston and Hasegawa again issued a very nice double boxing for those.

2 hours ago, hemspilot said:

What about "legacy pairs". Pairing a commemoratively market jet with its WWII or  Korean War or Vietnam Conflict namesake.

Passionate Patsy comes to mind as others before.

Passionate Patsy

That's a cool idea

The Zoukei-Mura late model F-4E is up for preorder.  Might be a good time for an F-4E sheet.  I would like to take this time to suggest NJ ANG F-4E’s from the 141st TFS, 108th TFW with the fantastic tiger art on the nose.  There were multiple versions of the tiger art on mulitple aircraft.  Maybe even enough for its own sheet.  I have a ton of slides of aircraft from this unit.  Let me know and I can bury you in reference!  🙂

1 hour ago, Corey said:

I would like to take this time to suggest NJ ANG F-4E’s from the 141st TFS, 108th TFW with the fantastic tiger art on the nose.  

Already done by SpeedHunter Graphics, although OOP

Edited by Niels
15 minutes ago, Niels said:

Already done by SpeedHunter Graphics, although OOP

yeah, we’ve been over this before, only in two versions and the colors are off.  And it’s out of production.

Edited by Corey
3 hours ago, Corey said:

The Zoukei-Mura late model F-4E is up for preorder.  Might be a good time for an F-4E sheet.  I would like to take this time to suggest NJ ANG F-4E’s from the 141st TFS, 108th TFW with the fantastic tiger art on the nose.  There were multiple versions of the tiger art on mulitple aircraft.  Maybe even enough for its own sheet.  I have a ton of slides of aircraft from this unit.  Let me know and I can bury you in reference!  🙂

let’s do this - bring it on! You know the email addy.

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the markings so will look forward to this. Throw in some F-4D's in SEA and you have a ball 🙂

I got refs for some NJANG D’s too, I’ll include them as well.