ARC Discussion Forums
John Wolstenholme

Trumpeter 1:32 F-117A

Posted (edited)

A straightforward WIP without methodology. A cursory glance at the kit gear bays and weapons bay and looks like this is gonna be a long haul. Made a start with 2x GBU-27s and removing all the moulded 'detail' on the weapons bay front wall.yqxHyLN.jpg%20

Edited by John Wolstenholme

9 hours ago, John Wolstenholme said:

removing all the moulded 'detail' on the weapons bay front wall.

Sounds very much like Trumpeter... 

Wish you a good luck! Sounds like a very interesting project. Will be following!

very cool project

i still have the old flightpath set for the mishappen revell/italeri F-117. i thought about trying to fit all the PE to the trumpy bombbay...

Posted (edited)

I just got this kit along with Aires cockpit set. Will follow with interest.

Dave

Edited by dustiepal

Great start, especially with the choice of going with the GBU 27.  its a stretched version of the GBU 24, specially fitted for the F117. modified mine from the 1/32 F15E

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, shan said:

the GBU 27.  its a stretched version of the GBU 24, specially fitted for the F117

My understanding is the GBU-24 was too big for the 117 weapons bay and the -27 is slightly reduced in length and with smaller fins.

Committed to a nearly full refurb of the weapons bay so piping and wires are not set into the frames.  Looking at the limited number of photos, the ‘roof’ exhibits varying depths.  

I have removed some spurious detail to the roof and all from the inner wall, then shaped it to the stepped roof.

fsuyKx2.jpg%20

Interesting how you can still 'see' the moulded detail even though it is perfectly flush.

Posted (edited)

Most of the plastic card detail redone to stbd inboard wall. The hydraulic pipes will now run to the weapons bay door jacks, rather than as the kit into the ‘electrics box’. WSOsYWz.jpg%20

Edited by John Wolstenholme

I'm really looking forward to watching this come along, John.  The F-117 was such a neat jet.  Looks like you're already off to a great start.

Jake

Nice progress so far John. I'm along for the ride, always liked the F-117A.

Steve

Hi Jake and Steve, thanks for dropping in.

Both sides of the centre wall(s) well on the way, now started with the plumbing. gJTf67T.jpg%20NcF2PMX.jpg%20

Redone the jacks to match the new bay ‘roof’ with doors placed. Pity there are only 4 door locks instead of 5.

Probably end up using more ‘bits’ in the weapons bay when complete, than the number of kit parts to be used!

Thanks Brian, appreciate the ‘navy’ dropping in. :smiley-transport006:

Seems like all (?) the wiring goes through the weapons bay. Finicky job and still to be repeated for t’other side, but at least moving in the right direction.

xXFV9IW.jpg%20

WOW John, looks awesome so far. What did you use to wrap around the "wire bundles?"

Steve

Grabbin' a seat!   :popcorn:  Beautiful work so far, John -- your skill (and patience) really shows.

Steve, formed from tubing.

Having got both sides of the centre wall up to the same stage, it is now fixed to the base with the aft door jacks ‘plumbed-in’. Back wall is re-detailed, but haven’t a clue what the twin round thingies (electrical?) are for. Started on doors by fitting the P.E. parts which look far better than the kit renditions, but they are a PITA to remove.

EXGMtQm.jpg%20

I am in need of a kit-kat, so good opportunity to catch up on some RC glider modelling for a change.

John,

A most impressive amount of super detailing on those weapon bay walls.  I'm a prop man at heart, but I'll be following along with great interest as your scratch building skills are taking this build to higher levels that we all can learn from.

Joel

Great stuff John, always a pleasure to see your work.

Steve