1/72nd Zvezda AC-130J "GHOSTRIDER" 4th SOS

3 hours ago, usmcski6502 said:

Holy crap, that looks amazing! VERY convincing. Great work!

Semper,

Ski

Thank you.

57 minutes ago, HERC164 said:

Steve,

Fantastic work on the spinning props, I can almost smell the JP-8. Looking forward to your finished props, as you are quite the stickler for the details. Very impressive work!

Ty

😆 Thanks very much.

50 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

Great job on the props Steve! 

Cheers...Ron

Thank you Ron.

Steve

43 minutes ago, Da SWO said:

Very nice, love the props.

Should I say it?

Props on the props....

I see what you did there 😄, thanks very much.

Steve

On 2/3/2024 at 1:24 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

Gunship update,

My circle cutter showed up today so I wanted to see if what I had planned for doing the light gray edge would work or not. This 'test piece" disk has Tamiya smoke and X-22 on it already. I attached the card stock mask, with tiny blobs of Elmer's Tack and, mixed up some very thin light gray and sprayed at 90 degrees to the mask while rotating the disk. I let that dry while I cleaned out the airbrush then sprayed a good coat of X-22 over the entire disk again. Not too bad but, not quite right yet. The width of the gray is a little too wide for this scale. I'm going to cut four new, slightly larger card stock masks and spray the gray a little lighter next time but, definitely in the ballpark I think. Thanks for checking in.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_8293.png

(edited)_IMG_8294.png

(edited)_IMG_8291.png

Very creative, never seen this as an idea before. And the result looks very convincing, excellent! Look forward to see her in de Display section.

9 hours ago, BastianD said:

Very creative, never seen this as an idea before. And the result looks very convincing, excellent! Look forward to see her in de Display section.

Thanks very much. I'm looking forward to getting her over the finish line as well.

Steve

Gunship update,

I finished the prop disks yesterday so now the aircraft part of this build is complete. I'll post these pics here for now since this is still a WIP until the base is finished. Thanks for following along and, enjoy the photos.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_8307.png

(edited)_IMG_8308.png

(edited)_IMG_8310.png

(edited)_IMG_8311.png

(edited)_IMG_8313.png

(edited)_IMG_8312.png

(edited)_IMG_8314.png

(edited)_IMG_8315.png

(edited)_IMG_8316.png

2 hours ago, AWACS-RESIN said:

Fantastic build of the gunship. She looks great. Congratulations.

1 hour ago, RichB63 said:

One of the coolest models I’ve seen…and built with such accuracy and precision. Well done Steve!

Rich

Thanks guys, appreciate that.

Steve

For anyone who has ever wanted to display a prop driven plane in flight... 

You nailed it!!! 

It's a masterpiece

Fantastic work

Andy

Edited by ExchefAndy
10 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Holding my final comments until the completed display. But, DAMN!!!!!

I appreciate that Jeff, thanks my man. Unfortunately the base is on hold until the outside weather warms up. All my spray can work (primers, colors and, poly clear) is done outside. I have all the materials but, I don't want to mill up the wood pieces and let them sit around.

5 hours ago, ExchefAndy said:

For anyone who has ever wanted to display a prop driven plane in flight... 

You nailed it!!! 

It's a masterpiece

Fantastic work

Andy

Very kind of you Andy, thanks. I think "masterpiece" is a stretch, she has her flaws but, I'm pretty satisfied with how she came out.

Steve

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Steve, absolutely beautiful work!  Love the props!  You just need to add some sound and dialogue!  Head-up displays look terrific also. K/r, Dutch 

Thanks Dutchman, very much appreciated.

Steve

2 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

I'm hearing the Johnny Cash song...."Ghostriders in the sky" in my head!

That was and probably always will be the gunship song. Great job!

Cheers...Ron

😆 That's pretty crazy Ron, I thought the same thing the other day but, I was thinking of the Outlaws song.

2 hours ago, Collin said:

Build in-flight...or don't build at all is what I say.

BRAVO on your Gunship!!

Cheers

Collin

Thank you Collin.

54 minutes ago, my favs are F`s said:

Sp pristine and clean! I like the paintwork, and if you do some subtle weathering, it should look even better...

Thanks.

Steve

• 1 month later...

I´m currently starting my build of the AC-130J as well and would like to ask some questions....

First one is: Why are the windows in the fuselage painted over? I thought I´d leave them "clear", but apparently on the original they are not...?

Secon done: On the outside of both fuselage halves, at the aft, there is a circle (where the DIRCM would be on modern Hercs). The instructions say nothing about what to do there, you added some sort of detail. What is that exactly?

Thanks!

HAJO

Some c130s have passenger windows that are covered over in other versions. Think of it as the difference between a 747-400 and a 747-400F where the windows were deleted on the F conversion (freighter). The cutouts are still there to save time and money on machining and blueprint modifications, but in place of plexiglass is skin grafts.

Edited by utley
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

I´m currently starting my build of the AC-130J as well and would like to ask some questions....

First one is: Why are the windows in the fuselage painted over? I thought I´d leave them "clear", but apparently on the original they are not...?

Secon done: On the outside of both fuselage halves, at the aft, there is a circle (where the DIRCM would be on modern Hercs). The instructions say nothing about what to do there, you added some sort of detail. What is that exactly?

Thanks!

HAJO

I painted over the windows because I didn't want any of the unpainted interior to be seen and secondly it's dark inside the interior so that's the reason for the one's that got painted black. You could leave yours clear if you'd like. As per my reference pics however, some windows looked tan from the outside. I'm guessing it's either a window shade or, something on the inside that's tan, blocking certain windows ?

As for the rear fuselage question, the AC-J's don't use the DIRCM, it's a different system. Those small pieces ( K6 ) are from the kit and steps #17 and #22 in the instructions show you their locations.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Ah, got it! I somehow oversaw K6 in the instructions, and I´m not so far yet. I will use th ekit more as a test project for my planned MC-130E and therefor will reduce some of th ecomplexity, not even talking of putting so much effort in the kit as you did with your excellent build.

HAJO