Tamiya 1/48 F-35B, kit 61125 coming in November

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Last year.

I see. So in a span of 1 year, they were able to follow suit with the second version. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the C version will be out sooner than later. Coz I'm only interested in building the B & C.

Eh, not really into F-35's. I know these planes are the new hot thing all over the world but personally I'm more of a guy who likes any jet from F-18 and below in numbering. Good to see they are blazing through the three different F-35 variants but I'm really getting antsy to see them tackle other short-nosed Phantoms. A F-4C/D boxing would be just as valid a boxing to print money for Tamiya, especially if it had Vietnam ace markings or colorful ANG birds.

I still don't get why they decided to rerelease the F4F as an FM-1, especially after Eduard released their epic Wildcat series. This release seems a bit of a downer for Tamiya after releasing their equally epic P-38's a few years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

@Dave Roof

Can you share any specifics on the upcoming F-35 sheets you mentioned? Do you have any more 3rd MAW birds, and especially and selfishly any F-35Cs (VMFA-311 & 314) or  WMFAT-502 out of Miramar? Or are you going to wait for a potential Tamiya F-35C (which I am concerned, might take a while considering the lack of adoption of the type even by the US Navy)? I have finally found the Kitty Hawk F-35C kit, but with VFA-101 no longer around, none of the schemes are appealing, and there seems to be zero aftermarket decals so far (again, lack of kits + lack of adoption).

Deniz

Edited by denizp
21 hours ago, denizp said:

@DaveRoof,

Can you share any specifics on the upcoming F-35 sheets you mentioned? Do you have any more 3rd MAW birds, and especially and selfishly any F-35Cs (VMFA-311 & 314) or  WMFAT-502 out of Miramar? Or are you going to wait for a potential Tamiya F-35C (which I am concerned, might take a while considering the lack of adoption of the type even by the US Navy)? I have finally found the Kitty Hawk F-35C kit, but with VFA-101 no longer around, none of the schemes are appealing, and there seems to be zero aftermarket decals so far (again, lack of kits + lack of adoption).

Deniz

VMFA-214

VMFA-225

VMFA-314 (C)

VMFA-533

VMFA-542

VMX-1

VMFAT-502

These are the squadrons that will be covered on the next sheet. I've been fortunate that work I've done for the F/A-18 and AV-8B communities, as well as the friendships I've built there has spilled over into the F-35 community. Like many of my previous sheets, these are being put together with help provided by the squadrons. 

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, at IPMS Nats this year, the Tam reps said there are three engineers dedicated to scale aircraft and that the F-35 was there focus. I’ll bet dollars to donuts the F-35C will come before any other project. It makes total sese to round out their F-35 stable and be the first with the C. Dave Roof’s extensive decals will help B model sales I think.

On 10/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, denizp said:

@Dave Roof That is a great selection, and thank you for all the 3rd MAW options.

Deniz

My sheet will be much more extensive than previously planned. Almost all of the options I was planning on releasing on two separate sheets got covered by a competitor, so I've combined the 2 sheets into one and added several more options.

1 hour ago, Da SWO said:

White box version came into one of my local stores.  Great quality again.  Little pricey for me (retail version is going to go for $115.00), but a nice kit.

Thank the lord for wholesale accounts! 😁

1 hour ago, BillS said:

FWIW, at IPMS Nats this year, the Tam reps said there are three engineers dedicated to scale aircraft and that the F-35 was there focus. I’ll bet dollars to donuts the F-35C will come before any other project. It makes total sese to round out their F-35 stable and be the first with the C. Dave Roof’s extensive decals will help B model sales I think.

As I mentioned above, my next F-35 sheet will be much more extensive than previously planned. In addition, it will also include F-35C options.

26 minutes ago, Niels said:

Nice review, but clearly no gun pod 😧

Two potential options. First, we're researching to see if we can get suitable references to release one in the FLSC line. Second, there are two gun pods in the Italeri kit. 

Thanks Dave, I have the Italeri kit and already have this as my backup plan as I mentioned in an earlier comment of mine.
Other will for sure be interested in aftermarked, but knowing Tamiya I wouldn't be surprised if this comes in a later boxing too? 

17 hours ago, Niels said:

Thanks Dave, I have the Italeri kit and already have this as my backup plan as I mentioned in an earlier comment of mine.
Other will for sure be interested in aftermarked, but knowing Tamiya I wouldn't be surprised if this comes in a later boxing too? 

Knowing Tamiya, there may be no later boxing. 😄

• 4 weeks later...

The surface shipping gets better the more you buy. They got a bunch of Trumpeter stuff in stock, and with the current sale, I bought a ton of things off my wishlist. Can't do much about the wait time, but the prices were excellent.

Edited by Specter1075