New model room in progress

I finally did it after several months of tentative negotiation with Mrs Cop. I have secured funding for the construction of a hobby room. Effectively the room is 8" by 8" so a good size and in time will have a window fitted. (Ok its half of my garage with a stud wall, fully plastered, centrally heated and floored.) The lighting is more than adequate as it stands though.

Construction of the room itself is nearing completion and I will be adding work benches and etc within the week. Just wondered if anybody had any interesting suggestions or must haves in a hobby room.

I already have a purpose built spray booth ready to be fitted and a very large work surface. So what else do think would be handy.

Cheers Cop. :thumbsup:

Perhaps a sink

Lots of power outlets

Plently of light, preferably directable

Shelves/organizers

That's about all I can think of for the room...

I'm jealous that you get to set up your own room how you want it! Have fun!

Charles

Hey if you think 8 feet by 8 feet is cramped. I want your house. B) (2.6 x 2.6 metres for our european friends. Whom afraid I will never become. British all the way. :P )

Edited by Cop

One word: "Beer Fridge"!

Honestly though, if I only had 8'x8' to work with,

2' deep formica covered countertop on 2 sides, 3' on one end, this being the main work area (door at the other end).

Are you going to be storing your models here?

Cabinets/shelves underneath on sides. Drawers near work area.

Perhaps a broom closet at one end (by the door) for tall/long stuff (like a broom!).

Are you going to be displaying your models here as well?

Cabinets/shelves above countertop on sides.

Spray-booth on one side near work area and perhaps a designated area for photography.

Good lighting. Flourescent above and behind, incandescents above on either side. Plus clamp on worklights when and where needed.

Shallow cabinets above the work area with corkboard for pinning up reference pictures. Some means of holding open books/magazines above work area.

And a beer fridge...

Hope this gives you some ideas. I wish my work area were that nice!

:bobby:

I would be lost without my cd/radio in my workshop I think 8ftx8ft is fine mine is 14x9 but I share it with my snap_on roll cab ,compressor , welder,Harley sportster.etc

I vent my spray fumes out with an extractor fan made from a car radiator electric fan ( 12volts wired through battery charger)its ducted out through a tumble dryer hose all over the neighbours washing line :thumbsup:

Be carefull, I always wanted a room I did not have to share and I got one. (actually 1 1/2) Now with winter, all the lawn funiture ended up in here. In the other room, lots of other stuff from our youth we dont want to part with.

Wifes dont care about "our" room. :lol: :lol:

Hey if you think 8 feet by 8 feet is cramped. I want your house.

I'm sorry about that but I could not help myself. At least here in the States, " = inches. So 8" x 8"...well, you get the picture. 8' x 8' (feet) sounds like a very nice hobby room and I am jealous. I just have a corner in the garage.

LAN cable or wireless access, area for the computer that is out of the way of the build area, phone line, a VERY comfortable chair for long sessions, a TV/VCR/DVD setup, laundry tub style sink, lots of storage. I enjoy these threads, i usually get some ideas from them. :wave:

:P Don

Ventilation, ventilation, and some more ventilation - including a fan you can turn on to blow air outside of the room. Otherwise while you have the door locked, the phone unplugged, the radio on, and the do not disturb sign up - you may experience some very interesting light displays... in your brain... :D

Tracy - jealous

A radio/CD/MP3 player, a computer with an internet connection, a water supply (porcelain sink, not stainless, so you could use etching chemicals without damage) a FIRE EXTINGUISHER, a spray booth that can evacuate all the fumes (build a little hole in the door, or leave it open a crack to get air flowing into the room) LOTS OF LIGHT, (My ideal modeling room would look like the "loading program" from the Matrix) NO rug, and put something to seal any cracks between the floor and baseboards, so "Styrenus Devourus" ( the Styrene-eating monster) has no place to live in there, lots of paper towel or rag areas, a rack with a bunch of 1/8" holes drilled in it for all your dremel bits,

Some other things to include: Safety goggles (I use old sunglasses, so I'm not staring right at a flame when stretching sprue) a pipe cutter, (for doing plastic tube) another fire extinguisher, a good trash can, and a place for all your chemicals (Future, thinner(s), rubbing alcohol, photoetching chemistry, nail polish remover, Zip Kicker, etc. )

I'm currently transforming one of my cellar rooms into my hobby room.

It's about 9 ft x 10 ft.

The transformation is in a premature state, a lot of work has to be done untill i can start my first model in 20 years.

That cellar room made me think of the door to my friend's hobby room. He has a regular flat wooden door. He bought some blue styrofoam insulation....and cut it up and glued it on the door to look like a big thick heavy bank vault door.......complete with big rivet heads etc. Then he sprayed it silver and weathered it. It looks amazing. I must get pictures one of these days and post them on ARC.

Steve B

ARC Night Shift

That cellar room made me think of the door to my friend's hobby room.  He has a regular flat wooden door.  He bought some blue styrofoam insulation....and cut it up and glued it on the door to look like a big thick heavy bank vault door.......complete with big rivet heads etc.  Then he sprayed it silver and weathered it.  It looks amazing.  I must get pictures one of these days and post them on ARC.

Steve B

ARC Night Shift

Now THAT is a severe case of AMS... super-detailing and weathering the door...

Probably no cure for that one.

:P