Monogram still kicks butt

hi guys got to agree all the way, first saw monogram in the uk in 76 when i was 15 (s### given my age now) built the 72nd tomcat then the hun, F15a, A10 the last two are still some of the best 72nd scale kits ive built. always wanted the P61 & devestator.....28 years on got em wow worth the wait as good if not better then hasetamycademy ( any one built the has typhoon :thumbsup: ) got frets for em & dont realy need them, added the duce,thud & kingfisher to the stash....if anyone can tell me if the A10 still out there i want one.& the new stuff ive got the HE111 & DO217 shows the far east how it should be done.

.....if only airfix carried on from the late spits & lightnings........if only

andy :beer4:

....if anyone can tell me if the A10 still out there i want one.

andy :thumbsup:

Did you mean 1/72 or 1.48?

I picked up a Monogram 1/48 A-10 at Hannants in their second-hand section for under £10, might have been from someones collection they donated to the shop.

Hear its a fine kit too :beer4:

hi,MM i mean the 1978 A10 release in 72nd scale.... dont know if its under the revell or itaiari boxing now.

ive heard great things on the 48th scale A10 better then tamiyas & the amt kits....seen one once at the nationals & let it go...bugger.

good luck on the build andy :banana:

I've often wondered if the True Details interior designed for the Tamiya kit would fit in Monogram's P-47 Razorback without too much headache.

Additionally, I've felt that Mongram got the Stuka better than Hasegawa in 1/48. The nose just ''looks'' right on the American issue whereas the Asian manufactured kit seems stubby to my eye. With a decent instrument panel and really good seats coupled with a Falcon canopy one could get a top-notch Stuka.

Agreeing with others, consistently Monogram's kits have been the most fun. Why? I have no idea but they've been a joy.

Does anyone else seek out the white-box editions to build because their styrene has a better feel to it?

Daryl J.

I've often wondered if the True Details interior designed for the Tamiya kit would fit in Monogram's P-47 Razorback without too much headache.

I wonder the same thing about decals. I want to collect all the Eagle-master (or is that Aero-strike? :monkeydance: ) Wolfpack decals, for I have 6 Monogram P-47 Razorback kits. I'm wondering if they will fit the Monogram kit okay?

Chappie

I agree with you completely, Monogram kicks butt! I recently completed the Me262, which was one of the most fun build I've ever done. The Bf109G-10 is also a very underrated kit, I think it looks every bit as good as the Hasegawa when completed. My favorite Monogram kits of all time though are the P-47s. I've built 2 Razorbacks and I'm going to try a Bubbletop which I have in my stash. I admit, I do like the new Tamiya and Hasegawa kits, but I have just as much fun building the old Monograms. I think we will always see these kits around, and they will always be fun and cheaper than the Tamiya and Hasegawa kits, and for that reason, I'll keep building them.

Matt

I also have fond memories of Monogram kits. I am 35, so the age theory seems to be accurate. I built several when I was about 12 years old as a way to pass the time at my Grampa's place as my family had just moved north and we were looking for a house still. The beauties I built in those days included the P-40B Tigershark, the P-51B (Ding Hao markings), an A6M5 Zero (loved the retractable gear on it), and an F4F Wildcat, complete with folding wings. My brother visited a couple years later and marveled at how I was able to brush paint that F4F with Pactra Gloss Royal blue and wind up with a paintjob that had no runs or brush marks in it (I lost the ability to do that when I got my first airbrush).

Other kits I built that summer (which weren't Monogram) were a Revell 1/48 P-51D in "Man O' War" colors (with the black camo stripes on the wings) and a Lindberg 1/48 P-47 (not a bad build actually, even if it didn't have landing gear bays in it). I recently acquired the Revell P-51 again and a vintage Monogram F4F and I plan to revisit my childhood with those kits very soon. My great aunt Francis marveled at my interest in WW2 aircraft and got me some nice Confederate Air Force freebies that year. Part of the reason is she was the secretary for CincSAC at Offutt AFB and was able to acquire some of the items because they were being sent to the general on a regular basis.

Of the Monogram classics I built, my favorite was the P-40B. It was a kit that I tried searching for all over town for at the time (1983) and finally found it at a shop in Bellevue after checking four other shops (I should have searched there first). I built it in Flying Tigers colors and loved it since it was the first correct P-40B I had seen rather then a P-40E or later vintage P-40 with AVG decals stuck in it. Only today did Trumpeter finally come out with a good one because Hobbycraft messed up the shape on it pretty badly.

Got me all nostalgic now. Need to source more out.

I have (from memory)

P-47D Bubbletop Thunderbolt

Skyraider

Ju87D Stuja

Hellcat

Spitfire MkVb

2x F-86E Sabre's

MiG-15

2x F-20 Tigershark

2x F-100 Super Sabre

F-101

F-102

2x F-105 Thunderchief

F-106

2x Mosquito FVb

Me262

P-61

B-26

Sure there is more in the stash. A lot of these are the white topped boxes.

:cheers:

MikeJ

I LOVE all the old Mongram kits.... I have many fond memories of building them with my dad when I was a kid. I don't get into PE & resin too much either and besides I don't realy have the budget for much aftermarket stuff. It's amazing how well those old Monogram kits have stood the test of time, the century series models are very nice! Just finished a Monogram High-Tech Kingfisher and am currently working on a 105. Matt

I have that Kingfisher kit, it is very nice indeed!

Just remembered and how did I not see these on the pile, but also,

F-5E

F-5F

B-17G (now that is a BIG box!)

:worship:

MikeJ

Who is keeping an eye on eBay for another P-47D Razorback, another kit I built when I was around 15. Brushpainting baremetal silver....ick....

Edited by madmike

During my first round as a modeler back in the 70s, I made most of their 1/72 product line. The Do 17z was my favorite for some reason. Maybe because it was on the cover of one of the first Scale Modeler magazines I bought.

So.... Why the heck do they have to go and put the Monogram name on the bottom of the kit somewhere? On a flap or elevator where it can't be seen readily but must be sanded off anyway.

I'm surprised no one has suggested a Monogram Group Build. How about it?

I hate to bring this up, but..................

Of Monogram kits we built as kids, how many met their maker.............the firecracker? If only we'd known!!!!

Chappie

Firecrackers...BB guns...the works. We were sick puppies!

My best was a 1/100 A-7 with the engine exhaust removed...it was perfect to fit a bottle rocket in, sans launching stick. Actually lifted off the ground a foot or so, looking like it had an afterburner, and just as the weight started catching up with the thrust, it burst into a billion non-salvagable bits!

I'm a sick bastard.

When I was a kid, my only source of income was my tips from being an altar boy.

A funeral would get you enough to buy the 1/48 Wildcat, Dauntless or the Zero.

A regular wedding and now your talking the 1/48 Avenger, Devastator...maybe even theP-61 Black Widow...

An Italian wedding (almost always a Nuptual Mass)...you could easily get the C-47, probably the B-17 and, if you stuck around, you could collect the money they threw at the bride and groom and be well on your way to the B-29!

Monogram kits hold up well too. When the Hurricane was reissued in an Olde Time box a few years ago, I had to have one again. Took it home and got to comparing to the much more recent Hasegawa. Guess, what - the outlines are almost identical.

I'd used a Monogram Hurricane for a science project in elementary school, must have been about 1964. I did a demo of basic flight theory, cut out the control surfaces and hinged them with paper. The completed model was glued to a big cardboard with explanations. Worked pretty well and I got a good mark too.

...See? You don't need a $50 kit to make a nice model.

AMEN Brother! <_<

I grew up with Monogram and love their kits. Any short commings they have can be taken care of with a little good old fashion scratch building and patience.

Regards.

On my workbench right now are two Monogram kits:

1/72 Bearcat and the 1/48 P-61.

My first P-61 was "shot down" by my friend's pellet gun some 25 years ago. :cheers:

GREAT to have it back (soon)! :lol:

I reckon it is time for a 1:48 build again and this thread has wet the appetite for a Monogram kit. I might drag out a P-40 or one of my P-51D's :)

:)

MikeJ