Congrats for finally selling the house!

Is the intake trunk gonna be part of the correction set? It appears it'd eat into a lot of space used by the Aires wheel wells.

Btw, would you still be selling the flanker correction sets?

Cheers,

Terry

is this perfect or what i just ordered the kit and aries cockpit from gord kwan. and now this my karma is good today. now to find some low viz VA-15 decals and i'm set.

keep em coming chris i plan to buy at least one of everything that you produce.

Is the intake trunk gonna be part of the correction set? It appears it'd eat into a lot of space used by the Aires wheel wells.

Btw, would you still be selling the flanker correction sets?

I'm undecided on whether to include the seamless intake with the other correction set. It might drive the price too high for some...

I am considering a few different options.

1. Sell the canopy/nosecone as one kit and the seamless intake as another. This will maximize my profit (which isn't my goal but would really help right now!)

2. Sell the canopy/nosecone/intake lip correction in one kit and sell the seamless intake seperately. This way, those who don't want to spend the money on the seamless, but still want to correct the intake can do so.

3. Sell the canopy/nosecone/seamless all as one kit. This would be the most expensive option (but almost everybody who ordered my Su-27 parts ended up ordering all three sets (or the combo) anyways...).

I'm not even sure yet if I can mold the thing! 10" is a little more than I'm used to! :yahoo:

As I mentioned in my previous post, any advice/recommendations/tips on how to mold a seamless intake would be welcome!

As far as using it with the Aires wheelwells...It fits. You just need to remove some of the 'T' shaped pour sprue on the inside of the wheelwell. I would guess it will also work with the Aires electrnics bays as well (I don't have them to try). It is pictured here with the Trump supplied electronics bay.

A-7172.jpg

I am not taking pre-orders...I will be giving ARC members dibs on the first parts once I release the kit :lol:

Su-27 parts will still be available once I re-open. PM inbound...

:bandhead2: Thanks everybody!

I'm undecided on whether to include the seamless intake with the other correction set. It might drive the price too high for some...

I am considering a few different options.

1. Sell the canopy/nosecone as one kit and the seamless intake as another. This will maximize my profit (which isn't my goal but would really help right now!)

2. Sell the canopy/nosecone/intake lip correction in one kit and sell the seamless intake seperately. This way, those who don't want to spend the money on the seamless, but still want to correct the intake can do so.

3. Sell the canopy/nosecone/seamless all as one kit. This would be the most expensive option (but almost everybody who ordered my Su-27 parts ended up ordering all three sets (or the combo) anyways...).

I'm not even sure yet if I can mold the thing! 10" is a little more than I'm used to! :coolio:

As I mentioned in my previous post, any advice/recommendations/tips on how to mold a seamless intake would be welcome!

As far as using it with the Aires wheelwells...It fits. You just need to remove some of the 'T' shaped pour sprue on the inside of the wheelwell. I would guess it will also work with the Aires electrnics bays as well (I don't have them to try). It is pictured here with the Trump supplied electronics bay.

A-7172.jpg

I am not taking pre-orders...I will be giving ARC members dibs on the first parts once I release the kit :salute:

Su-27 parts will still be available once I re-open. PM inbound...

:cheers: Thanks everybody!

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I can't wait! I've been eyeballing my Trump A-7E kit in anticipation of this set for months now! I'd go with option #2 that you mentioned, and sell the intake seperately. Just a guess....... once you get this set on the market, you might just make up any dollar amounts that you lost on your house...... this one's going to sell good.

While I've got your attention Chris, here's a shameless personal plug for something I'd really like to see in 32nd scale.....an F-5F conversion for the Hasegawa kit :blink: Best regards, Fred K

I'm not even sure yet if I can mold the thing! 10" is a little more than I'm used to! :blink:
God....oh God.....I am SO not going to say it.....uuuuuuuughh!!!

Dear lord tiny baby infant Jesus, give me strength! :salute:

10in ?!?! Jeeezzz, :coolio: ...

Scott, that's a TERRIFIC one :cheers: !!!

Regards, Stéphane

Hey Chris!

a 10" seamless intake-wow. If it's one piece, I'm guessing the only way to paint that thing would be to pour paint down the length of the intake...which works!

I'd sell the canopy, nosecone, and intake lip together; and the seamless intake separately..

Take all of my money.

Regards,

Pig

Okay, so who wants to explain to my wife that by buying this, I'm NOT buying another model to store in the closet, but I'm actually buying something to help me get one more model out of the stash!! Fantastic looking work man!! I must have.

My recommendation is to sell the canopy/nose/intake lip in one set, and sell the intake with the lip already attached in another set. I realize that would mean people would have an extra lip if they got both sets, but it seems to me that if you buy just the intake, it wouldn't really fit without the new lip. That way, people who just want a seamless intake, can use yours. And the people who want both can sell the extra piece on E-Bay, make a fortune, and then buy more stuff from you!!!! :cheers: (yea, that's the ticket) okay, maybe not the last part, but it does make sense to me. Just a suggestion from an idiot, so take it for what it's worth.

Now, "Hey honey :wub: , you know how you told me to clean out that closet.....well....."

Bill

That intake trunk must be very heavy. Builders who choose to use it would have no choice but to use the white metal landing gears, which are of inferior mold quality IMHO.

I would sell the intake trunk as one set, and everything else as a seperate set. This simple approach might even help you in terms of production forecasting. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Terry

:yahoo:

After multiple counters I accepted an offer that was still less than I wanted, but it's sold!!!!!! :beer4:

45 days of escrow during which I'll be finishing the final details for the kit, including the instruction sheet. After I move I'm going to try to get the shop open immediatly to begin full-scale production...

In the mean time...

Mr Tigger! Package inbound containing production tooling and the first production resin pieces for you to test-fit the vacs (and have fun with...).

I've ironed out the molding and casting problems,

A-7169.jpg

And I've lost my mind,

A-7170.jpg

A 10 inch seamless intake correction? To be molded in white? Am I nuts? :wacko:

A-7171.jpg

I think I already shared just about everything I know!

Maybe the Doctor or somebody else can share thoughts/advice on how to mold seamless intakes? I've never tried this before...

:)

:)

Hi Chris,

Great work on your correction kit. I will be ordering one for sure. Will your kit work with the blackbox cockpit as well?I can't seem to track down the aries A-7E cockpit here in Eastern Canada.

Ed

Hey Chris!

a 10" seamless intake-wow. If it's one piece, I'm guessing the only way to paint that thing would be to pour paint down the length of the intake...which works!

Yo Pig!

Fortunately I'm planning to mold it with heavily pigmented white resin so painting shouldn't be a problem.

I have been using that frickin' GEEENIUS technique though. I've poured several coats of thinned down Mr. Surfacer 1000 to fill the problem areas then a coat of Future for the gloss.

Gettin Smooth and Shiny!

A-7173.jpg

That intake trunk must be very heavy. Builders who choose to use it would have no choice but to use the white metal landing gears, which are of inferior mold quality IMHO.
I hope it's not so heavy the metal gear become a requirement!

I'm going to try to keep it as thin walled as I can. I'm guessing that it will be about 40 grams heavier than the kit intake part which is about 10 grams.

Also consider that much of the weight of the part will be distributed over all of the gear, not just the nosegear.

Will your kit work with the blackbox cockpit as well?I can't seem to track down the aries A-7E cockpit here in Eastern Canada.
It should work with the BB kit.

Looking at Terry's in-progress pics: >>>here<<< it looks like it fits similarly to the Aires pit.

The small detail on the edge of my windscreen piece was made to match the Aires detail along the top edge the side wall. (See pic >>>here<<<)

The BB sidewalls fit under the kit edge (See fifth pic >>>here<<<) so you'll have to file a small depression for my windscreen pads to fit in to.

And >>>HERE<<< is Terry's very nice finished A-7 using the BB pit. :(

:cheers:

Maybe the Doctor or somebody else can share thoughts/advice on how to mold seamless intakes? I've never tried this before...
Doc?

Anybody?

Bueller?

:cheers:

Chris,

As I pondered various problems for my big Crusader project, I wondered about inserting a steel rod into the intake, centered, that would be embeded in the mold, but still removeable. That way, after I cast the resin intake in a fairly standard one piece sleeve-like mold, I could pull the rod out and that would help in collapsing the core to remove the casting. What about adding a way to apply a vacuum to the empty space to collapse it?

intakemold.jpg

Dunno...I'm sure you'll come up with something innovative and surprising!

Pete

Edited by Impatient Pete

I've contemplated a collapsable core, but...

Unfortunately the intake is curved so a single, straight rod can't run all the way through. Perhaps rods from each end. But then how to keep them aligned perfectly?

Another problem that could crop up is how to re-insert the rods into the mold without the RTV 'bunching up'? Lots of lube!?!

And then there's the problem of casting the part in vacuum as I prefer to do. If there's any air between the rod and the RTV it will balloon under vacuum...

I like the idea of using vacuum assist in collapsing the core! That one hadn't occured to me! :cheers:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Pete ;)

Anybody else? Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!

Chris ;)

Edit: Ooohhh! You added a cool illustration before I finished posting!!!! Thanks again!

Edited by Zactoman
I'm sure you'll come up with something innovative and surprising!
;) I cheated!

Though I can't say exactly how because again it involved my yet to be patented, super-cool molding and casting tool...

I did use a collapsible core similar to the illustration previously posted. <_<

Here is the first part out of the mold in all it's smooth, shininess!

A-7175.jpg

A-7174.jpg

This part is cast in plain white resin. The production parts will be cast in white resin with lots of white pigment mixed in which will hopefully prevent them from yellowing over time.

I feel relieved knowing that I will actually be able to cast all these parts. Now I just have to finish with the house sale and the move so I can re-open the business. Thanks for your patience...

:bandhead2:

Holly Crap!! that's a big intake. <_<

Glad to hear that your house is almost sold. I can't wait till you get your shop moved and ready to sell. Looking forward to getting couple of these sets.

Mike

Thanks for the comments! :cheers:

I'm going to try to keep it as thin walled as I can. I'm guessing that it will be about 40 grams heavier than the kit intake part which is about 10 grams.
It ended up weighing less than I thought, totaling 40 grams...

:worship: