I can't seem to find a thread about this in the general forums. So who's heading to Virginia?

We are driving from Michigan, stopping at Fallingwater in Pennsylvania and Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park along the way. Thursday, Friday and Saturday my family will go and do whatever they do while I am busy at the Convention.

CAN'T WAIT!

Can anyone recommend good dinner spots in VA Beach, preferably along the ocean?

Will be there Tues-Sat with my 11yr old son (will be his first Nats of a cognizant age). Just look for me walking around with my Sprue Brothers shirt. If you find me and you are wearing a Sprue Brothers shirt, I might have a surprise for you.

Gordon

Gordo,

I don't have a SB shirt, but I'd sure like to meet you so I'll keep my eyes open.

Andrew

Will be there Tues-Sat with my 11yr old son (will be his first Nats of a cognizant age). Just look for me walking around with my Sprue Brothers shirt. If you find me and you are wearing a Sprue Brothers shirt, I might have a surprise for you.

Gordon

I can't seem to find a thread about this in the general forums. So who's heading to Virginia?

We are driving from Michigan, stopping at Fallingwater in Pennsylvania and Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park along the way. Thursday, Friday and Saturday my family will go and do whatever they do while I am busy at the Convention.

CAN'T WAIT!

Hampton is a good ways from the ocean. It is not worth the drive just to go to dinner.

The show venue is located near Mercury Blvd, which is the main commercial strip in Hampton. There are plenty of restaurants along there, including fast food and some nicer stuff. I haven't been back there in quite a few years, however.

If you happen to see that Wendy's on Mercury Blvd about a block from what I believe is now known as the Peninsula Town Center......I worked there flipping burgers in high school.

I will be there Friday and Saturday. I have never been to the Nats before, and I have regretted not going when it was last in the area. I am excited to see the models on the tables. You can find me snapping lots of pictures of the models, scouring vendor tables for obscure kits, and digging through boxes of Vacs.

Any good local restaurants one must try when visiting the area?

Mandie and I will be there. We're planning a quick stop at the USAF Museum on the way down, as well as a visit to Monticello. Then a couple days of sightseeing in D.C. on the way home. We're also planning to spend Sunday at Jerry Yagen's Military Aviation Museum in VA Beach. They're offering a trip there during the convention, but it takes up an entire day and we'd have to miss Dana Bell's seminar..which is a total deal-breaker.

SN

Edited by Steve N
  • 2 weeks later...

I am heading down too. Will be visiting Williamsburg and Busch Gardens first. They family is staying at the Oceanfront in VB for a week. Should be a great time.

Of course, the show should be too. Will be bringing a few kits (but nothing with wings this time!) but like others said, it is mostly to participate. My daughter will probably also be entering something (she's 17)!

Scale Model Soup will be there!

A reminder to those who attend...

You should be entering the contest!

You'll see my stuff on the tables, with no expectation of winning.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Absolutely you should enter. I don't get modelers who attend but don't enter?

I can understand just wanting to hit it up for the vendors but c'mon, put your work out on the tables simply because other model geeks want to see it! Regardless of whether or not it is a "winner"...I have no expectation of "winning" but I'll bring a few models just so others can see some different subjects. That is my favorite thing about a contest (I like to think of them more as a "show"), seeing other stuff, it can be inspiring.

If I'm not mistaken, there are "Display Only" tables as well.

Absolutely you should enter. I don't get modelers who attend but don't enter?

I can understand just wanting to hit it up for the vendors but c'mon, put your work out on the tables simply because other model geeks want to see it! Regardless of whether or not it is a "winner"...I have no expectation of "winning" but I'll bring a few models just so others can see some different subjects. That is my favorite thing about a contest (I like to think of them more as a "show"), seeing other stuff, it can be inspiring.

If I'm not mistaken, there are "Display Only" tables as well.

The way I read the rules for the IPMS Nationals was that you needed to be an IPMS member to enter a model. If I am mistaken, then please let me know. Maybe I am just too self conscious but my models usually really pale in comparison to what is on the tables. There were a few times back in the early 2000s when I finished models I was really proud of, and I put them on the table and everything else was sooo much better. I guess I feel intimidated. However, after reading that article on Scale Model soup, I was really motivated to bring models to my local show. If no one brings models, then there will be nothing to look at.

But to answer your question as to why a modeler would not bring models to show, For me, when I go to a show I like to spend a lot of time at the show tables and find inspiration for future builds. I frequently find myself looking and each and every model on the table and finding something really cool that others in attendance do not seem to notice. It is almost a game, to find the hidden jewel amongst everything else on the table.

Kurt,

You are correct. In order to enter models in the Nationals, you have to be an IPMS member. But at every Nationals that I have been to IPMS-USA always has a table available for you to sign up for a membership "on the spot" and still be able to enter the contest. Any time I have entered a Nationals contest, I have always sent my money in early for my membership. That way there is less expense entering the contest and more money for the vendor rooms. I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

PS: If you are trying to go just because the contest is in Hampton Roads this year then don't dispair too much. This year makes several years that the Hampton Roads / Virginia Beach area has been selected for hosting the Nationals. Knowing the vast interest in modeling in that area will probably bring the Nationals back to that area real soon.

Edited by SonyKen

And to add to SonyKen's statement, if you are in the area, it is still worth going to look and buy even if you don't enter. Supporting the show with attendance and the vendor support as well is helping.

I'll be there. I'm including some nearby food and visiting suggestions as well because, well Olive Garden sucks..

Surfrider is the best seafood in the area and is very close to the Hampton Air & Space Center. You will need a car.

http://surfriderrestaurant.com/bluewater/

The Peninsula Center is the mall that is within walking distance with some places to eat. You will be able to walk to here.

http://www.peninsulatowncenter.com/DINING#.U9lsumzD9jo

This is a good bar/restaurant across the street from the Hampton Air & Space Center. You will need a car.

http://www.marker20.com/

This is another really good bar/restaurant across the street from the Hampton Air & Space Center and next to the one above. You will need a car.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/35/393343/restaurant/Hampton-Roads/Taphouse-Grill-Hampton

and another one next door

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/35/1614383/restaurant/Hampton-Roads/Conch-and-Bucket-Hampton

The above two establishments are also really close to Ft Monroe. If you have your family with you, you might want to consider the beaches at Ft. Monroe, they are very nice and not very crowded as well (No tunnel traffic!!! take the back roads), plus you will probably see some dolphins there as well, they are always around.

There are no good times to go through the tunnel, you can see the interstate (I64) from a lot of the side roads so look for it, and see what's up before you get on or you will spend a lot of your vacation in traffic if you get caught up in it. My traffic ap is right 50% of the time.

...and this is a must visit for aviation fans, free but you will need a car, but it is very close to the convention center

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Power_Park

PM me if you need any other advise, I'm happy to help

CAN'T WAIT!

The convention is in Hampton plenty of places to eat near by.

Bill Wesley

Host chapter