Is it me or is news from the IPMS Nationals slow in being released?

I've been all over the vendor room for four days. There didn't seem to be any surprise announcements of new kits. The most excitement surrounded the new Zouki Mura 1/32 Ho-229, which sold out in the first hour. There were a few Airfix 1/24 Typhoons floating about, which were quickly snapped up as well.

I think these days any new info flies across the internet long before it gets "officially" announced. By the time the Nats rolls around, what used to be surprise announcements are now old news.

SN

-Because- it's "one giant flea market" is the very best reason to go. I'd rather Mfgs. only have a shot at floor space after all possible vendors are in. Deal$ are the name of the game. Just me.

Edited by metroman

-Because- it's "one giant flea market" is the very best reason to go. I'd rather Mfgs. only have a shot at floor space after all possible vendors are in. Deal$ are the name of the game. Just me.

That would be my reason for going also. Much better deals that way.

That would be my reason for going also. Much better deals that way.

Unfortunately it's no flea market, most the vendors are retail shops at regular prices not many deals to be had.

Aires did have a 50% off happy hour on the las four hours but that was about it as far as deals go.

I did manage to stock up on tools and some paints.

I think these days any new info flies across the internet long before it gets "officially" announced. By the time the Nats rolls around, what used to be surprise announcements are now old news.

SN

Most new kits have been announced earlier in the year in Japan and Germany.

Unfortunately it's no flea market, most the vendors are retail shops at regular prices not many deals to be had.

Aires did have a 50% off happy hour on the las four hours but that was about it as far as deals go.

I did manage to stock up on tools and some paints.

That's too bad. The shows I have gone to always had great deals. But then I've never been to nats.

I got there Friday, This was my first Nats. There were very good prices at many vendors. The best deals I saw were on things I already had so I figured I would let others take advantage.

I did notice several vendors with the AM P-51A for $15, I bought one, did a big supply of them get dumped on the market recently? I had not seen those in quite some time. The difference I noticed, compared to a local show or an IPMS regional event is that many of the vendors in attendance were manufacturers, and aftermarket suppliers, everyone from Aires, Eduard, to some of our favorite Decal artists like Speed Hunter Graphics and Furball. You could buy Decals right from the source, saving on shipping, and also saving them those pesky paypal fees.

I was there when they opened on Wednesday and another few hours on Thursday and the only things I bought were a new Harder & Steenbeck airbrush (which I actually had to order as he didn't actually have it in stock there), a couple of decals from Jake of SHG and Geoff of Furball, and two resin sets from the guys at CMK. The guys at CMK were the only ones who gave me a good deal on the sets. Other than that, everything seemed to be at MSRP. I have to say though that I didn't see a huge number of people in the vendors area. I thought there'd be more.

Rob

Well they have to get the slides processed, the page layouts done and then sent to the printer, the books printed, envelopes stuffed, put in the mail, etc, etc.

Oh, wait...

Silly man, Polaroids and FAX machines have changed the world while you weren't looking.

Oh, wait...

That's assuming there are any new kits being announced at Nats. That's one reason why I didn't go this year, the dealer room at Nats has turned into a giant flea market.

????...Yeah, that's why most people do go! When Aries is selling at 50% off, that's hard to beat. With most LHS a thing of the past, buying stuff without shipping costs is why ya go...I picked up a 1/72 NB-52 kit for $40.00...it would cost half that to ship it to me if I ordered it on line or won it off eBay.

New kit announcements? That's what the "toy shows" and expos are for...or the internet.

What about the revell F-4? whats that something new?

there was also that 1/18 harrier, was that an upcoming kit or just a up-scaled mock up of the kinetic one?

(I don't know much about Phantoms or harriers)