Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

bashace

Members
  • Content Count

    1,504
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by bashace

  1. A little trick I use for those pesky masking issues, if you brush the masking over the tape when applying, it will easily pull the dried liquid mask off with it when removed.
  2. Been struggling with this Corroguard issue, I mixed metallic steel (80%), light grey (20%), and a few drops of white together hoping to get some sort of match for this coating. After a couple of days fighting with it I just accepted what I came up with and shot it. It may have to change as I see more of it on the airframe...
  3. You did a great job on those cowls! I can feel the anxiety building up thinking about messing with those on the kit I was building, in fact, that's probably where I put it back in the box for later...lol!
  4. You're doing a great job with this kit, really bringing those details out!
  5. Back on the Saber Dog! Paint still a little weird, using rubber gloves just in case. Shot some Radome Tan over the nose, removing the masking had no effect on the paint, think we're good to go!
  6. Lower wing seam is an abortion, reason for the big clamps. I'm sure if I had a Dremel with a sanding drum I could get the fit to be flush without excessive force. If I had some plastic card I could of closed the gaps in the fit. Bottom line, none of these problems are insurmountable without the right tools/materials and a little effort.
  7. Here's what the upper and lower seam looks like, about the same all the way around. I use a Squadron Scraper to remove only the unwanted areas along the seam, it's curved blade allows for accurate scraping along the seam only, can leave raised areas crossing the seam intact.
  8. Getting the major parts to align properly to minimize additional finishing work takes a bit of time and patience, especially if you are trying to preserve the raised details.
  9. The aft fuselage area gave me the most trouble, glued one side at a time to get it to fit.
  10. These are always cool little planes to have on the display shelf. When I was a kid I got to "fly" another kids Me-163 in the great housing area air war, I was told to hide it so it didn't get bombed be the enemy, well I never found it again, it's probably still in that bush somewhere. He did a great job on the camo...lol!
  11. Very nice, I like the fact they included Safety Belts on the seats, a big improvement over the F-5E boxing.
  12. It's quite strange, the airframe is still a hair on the tacky side, but the other components (leading edge slats, airbrakes, etc) that were painted with the same process dried days ago.
  13. Had some time today to assemble the upper and lower airframe halves, thankfully I had my quick clamps for R/C Airplane building handy, the wing underside required a little more than tape to hold in place.
  14. Got the cockpit sorted out, fairly easy to paint. Test fitting for proper alignment.
  15. A 1/48 SNJ my Marine buddy built for me, landing gear have been repaired too many times, may upgrade to metal struts next time they need repair.
  16. While I continue to wait for my F-86D metallic coat to dry, will fill the time with F-5E work. Here again I am using my trusty 3rd BluTac hand to hold pieces together for fitting prior to gluing together.
  17. I built a USS Arizona model in the late 70's, don't remember which kit is was, but it was my first ship model. I distinctly remember it having a "ballast" issue in the bath tub, I worked on it day and night so eager to see it float!
  18. Excellent kit! Have a U.S. Marines SNJ on the shelf from that kit.
  19. It's getting tougher to find AM parts for the older Revell/Monogram kits, at one time it seemed most were directed towards "fixing" these kits one way or another.
  20. Nice build! Really like the Yellow, makes it "pop"!
×
×
  • Create New...