Beautiful pictures

Why is there not a 1/32 model of this bird somewhere?

Paging Mr. Trumpeter... Mr. Trumpeter, white courtesy telephone please.

We should be careful what we wish for - it'll be covered with rivets! :jaw-dropping:

• 4 weeks later...
Gregg thank for linky...

... Ah so the elderly gentleman in the previous photos is General Rickenbacker..

what a remarkable gentleman ....

HOLMES :)

Yes, my Mom was a Big Fan of his ... She met him once ...

She said he was very nice ...

Gregg

• 4 weeks later...

I just discovered this thread - brilliant! I love the Century series...

And one of me next to the PIMA bird in February, 2003. Just a couple days after the space shuttle disaster.

PimaJan03.jpg

This is an awesome photo - two gorgeous aircraft visible - the Dart and the Caravelle! What's the story with that Caravelle anyways?

I don't have an excess of F106 photos in my collection, but here is one from the 1989 Edwards AFB Open House. This aircraft was posted earlier in the 106 thread, but I thought I would get my version in the thread.

F106EAFB1989MJI.jpg

I have a few others that do not appear to have been posted, so I'll put them up here when I can find them in the storage boxes!

Mike

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is my sort of "artsy" attempt photo of 57-2533 on display at Kelly. You really can't see it in this pic, but the funniest thing about this display is they have a rubber ball on the tip of the pitot tube! Really! The darn thing has to be 30 feet up in the air!

Anyway, I thought this photo turned out okay for such a hazy day, and thought I'd share it.

Mark

IMG_2926.jpg

I have to add this post I sent to http://www.f-106deltadart.com a couple days ago because it's just so dog-gone interesting. Be sure to open the links. For you hard-core aviation guys who have never read the Smithsonion's "Air & Space" magazine, well, it sure is a fantastic periodical.

I've edited this just a bit from my original post to add more details.

Mark

I'm down at Lackland this week, and have some down time, so I went to the BX to find something to read. I picked up the June/July 2011 issue of "Air & Space Magazine", and saw an interesting story on 57-2531. Not so much about the crash itself (although interesting), but more about the aftermath of the crash, and how it almost destroyed the family who lived in the home destroyed when the aircraft crashed into it.

Meg Renton, who was a toddler at the time, is now an actress, and has written, and performed a one-act play called, "An American Refugee" about what happened to her family after the crash. She speaks of the pilot, Major Robert C. Jessup, and bears him no ill will personally, but would like to meet him to add some kind of closure to the event.

Now get this, I read the article, then while waiting on lodging to get a room ready for me, I drove over to Kelly to check on 57-2533, the F-106B model on display there, and guess whos name is on her? Yep, Col. Robert C. Jessup.

The article was scanned, as was the photo of the crash scene from the magazine, and is available over on this site.

http://www.convairf-106deltadart.com/57253103Page.html

http://www.convairf-106deltadart.com/572531crashStory.JPG

Here is a photo I took a couple hours ago of Col. Jessup's name on 57-2533 at Kelly. I sure never noticed that before, but seeing it just minutes (literally!) after reading that article was just strange!

Mark

IMG_2907-1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Anybody have any details on 318th markings beyond 459? A prof used to be CO of the outfit, and I'm trying to plan and build a model of 56-0454 as it appeared while his 'Boss Bird,' but I'd rather not ask him directly and tell him what's coming... also, if anyone has anything about the 318th in like '66-70, I'd appreciate the help--my grandfather retired as a Master Sgt out of this outfit in '68 or '69 IIRC. I know our -B got Droned and Blown, along with most of the -A's...