the quality of your vacu is pretty impressive !

looks like the small details are well printed in the plastic !

and another question, talking about the paint you used in the air intake, you didn't have problem like carks in the paint after ? or when you add a second coat of another paint ?

funny, i've got a friend who's making a Israely version, making himself the same part !

always a great lesson to folow you !

Pat

Edited by foxtwo
the quality of your vacu is pretty impressive !

looks like the small details are well printed in the plastic !

and another question, talking about the paint you used in the air intake, you didn't have problem like carks in the paint after ? or when you add a second coat of another paint ?

funny, i've got a friend who's making a Israely version, making himself the same part !

always a great lesson to folow you !

Pat

Hi Pat!

Good to hear from you my friend!

I've been very lucky wit hthis technique...mostly. Although I havent seen any cracks yet, you must babysit the intake while the paint settles and dries. I would recommend using a houshold "primer" type paint vs. straight latex. The primer is designed to cover different paints and stains underneath; and seems more tolerant of any putty or surfacer agent.

The forward intake section of the F-16 is a bit tricky to use this technique, as it has some bends and curves that, if you aren't careful, can develope sags. Also, I pour the paint out of the can into a smaller container and let it sit until all the air bubbles are gone. If you dont, those bubbles will transfer to the inside of your intake...and you'll be mad and say bad words.

HTH

Pig

Nice, I was wondering how did you make that went?

Hi Cemical!

it took me a while...but I think you mean the "vent", right?

First I cut a rectangular hole out of .010 sheet using a scribing template as a guide, running a needle in a pin vise around until the hole was cut. Then I cut a few lengths of strip whose ends were as wide as the hole, and cemented them in with Tenax from behind. I then flipped the panel over to the side that would show, and sanded the individual vent vanes flush with the panel. I located where the new panel would go on the fuselage, then Dremmel'd a hole in the fuselage only big enough for the vent vanes to fit into, and glued the panel on top of the fuselage. Easy stuff!

HTH

Pig

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Boys,

...well, imagine my surprise when I saw today's ARC article on using carbon fibre decals for the Pratt -229 nozzle leaves! I finished these up about a week ago and used almost exactly the same technique Dave described today.

I first painted each leaf gloss black. I applied Scale Motorsports carbon fibre decals to each leaf individually. The look was too silver at first, so I oversprayed with Tamiya smoke, clear yellow, and blue. Here is the result, waiting a gloss coat, oil wash, and flat coat:

100_6418.jpg

I've started working out the aft cockpit. This is built up from sheet stock, stip, and components left over from the Tamiya Thunderbirds kit. For the side consoles, I carefully filed away the panels I didn't need, and re-scribed a few I did need. The AVTR on the left side was built up from plastic block, and some cut-down photo etch. The buttons on the AVTR were embossed on the backside of .005 strip. The ejection mode select handle is stretched sprue:

100_6424.jpg

Here's a better look at the fuzzy seat covers..again, this is resin sanding dust applied over white glue:

100_6425.jpg

More to follow-Thanks for looking!

Pig

Another beauty,Pete! :thumbsup:

I really appreciate that you give enough info that I could *cough* attempt *cough* to do it myself! :salute:

I will be trying the latex-primer-in-the-intake on my Vipers.

:bandhead2:

-Dave

• 3 weeks later...

OK Gents,

Here's a look at the finished nozzle. The collector ring on the -229 motor does not have that typical Pratt bluish-tint to it..it's more gold-bronze:

100_6435.jpg

I needed to add the RAM around the nose-mounted RHAW blisters...seeing as I missed the boat on the nice CrossDelta photoetch in this scale, I had to make my own. I scaled-up the Tamiya flavor from the "detail up" set for their 48th scale kit..

100_6427.jpg

...And used the pattern to cut them out of .005 sheet:

100_6448.jpg

OK, a few words on the Aires wheel well...specifically, the nose well.

As beautiful as this Aires part is, as cast..it is completely un-usable. The wonderful engineering that Tamiya used to ensure the nose gear fits in at the correct angle in the correct location was totally discounted by the pattern maker. If you use this Aires part without any modification, you will be in for alot of trouble and headache.

Here is the Aires part on the left, with the Tamiya part on the right. First off, notice the Aires part is shorter

100_6446.jpg

Notice also how the nose gear fits into these tabs on the Tamiya part to ensure it goes in at the proper angle. There is no way to do this with the Aires part:

100_6444.jpg

See all that extra detail on the Aires part that would interfere with installing the strut properly?

100_6443.jpg

To fix it, I decided to cut off the forward section of the Tamiya part where the strut attaches, and cut the Aires part to fit behind that. This also allowed me to adjust the length of the Aires part to the proper length:

100_6447.jpg

That is sooooo awesome!!!it's really a great build and it's comin along fantastic!!!

the nozzle and the wells are superbly made....well I'm not forgettin the seats!the way you've done the cushion is curios and very very nice!!!

wanna see moooooore!!!!!!!!!

eehehehe....great again!!!keep it up!

cheers

:deadhorse1::thumbsup::salute:

Awesome work, buddy!! I didn't know the Aires part was like that. I just received a set a few days ago and was amazed at the detail. I'll keep your idea in mind when I use mine.

When did the AVTR get re-located into the cockpit? None of the jets I've flown in have that. Is that a Polish-only mod?

Jake