some new specially marked F-2s

Damn the F-2 is a sexy airplane. By the way, does anyone know why they changed the canopy design from an F-16-style, one-piece canopy to the 3 piece canopy? Is there a reason for it?

I don't KNOW, but I would hazard a guess....manufacturing a large, single piece, optically defect free, structurally sound piece of plexiglass remains a very challenging process. In fact, there are only a handful of companies worldwide that actually make such a component. Since the F-2 is indigenously produced, it may have been more cost effective to go with a simpler, multi-piece design.

Just a thought.

Oooh, that's nice! :worship: Hasegawa? 1/72? :thumbsup:

Damn the F-2 is a sexy airplane. By the way, does anyone know why they changed the canopy design from an F-16-style, one-piece canopy to the 3 piece canopy? Is there a reason for it?

I've read somewhere that the multi-part design was chosen to make the canopy more resistant to bird strikes. That in conjunction with Waco's thoughts on the manufacturing process probably necessitated a multi-part approach to make the wind shield thick enough.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

I'd like to see that released also. Both scales to appeal to all.

I understand the reason for the multi-piece canopy was for strength. It's mission being maritime strike, it was expected to be low level more than a standard Viper. They could reinforce the front wind screen better this way.

-S

Plus, that seam down the middle is a pain to remove :)

Nick

"Kills enemies on sight"

"6th squadron, 50th anniversary"

Those are all Chinese characters, not Japanese. Hmm... I wonder to whom they're showboating.

Cheers,

Terry

Kanji are Chinese characters used in Japanese writing (one of 4 "alphabets" for Japanese writing), iirc.

Anyone have shots of the F-2 tailart that looks like the Grim Reapers?

-Awan

Anthony, go back a little bit, there is a big 3-4 page thread with lots of links to piccies from this years fighter meet :thumbsup:

edit: In fact here it is, and its a 5 page thread :cheers:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....0&hl=senkyo

Edited by Nev

Skyhawk55, we "only" have 3 characters; kanji, katakana and hiragana. As Loftycomfort pointed out, the markings in question are the 50th anniversary markings for the 6th squadron. "Find enemy, kill for sure" is the motto of the 6th sq. The right side of the tail is painted as the F-86F tail would have been painted and the left side as the F-1 would have been painted with the right side sporting the old squadron marking.

F-1 -->http://dash8.itazuke.jp/Img_0469a.jpg

F-86F -->http://homepage3.nifty.com/landmarkfactory/page025.html (13-14th photo)

Also the ventral fins show all the aircraft used by the 6th sq and ...... i cant decipher the left side :S

Edited by 6329tsur